www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You




Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 24th, 2018, 02:05   #2041
Dan C.
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WA
Default

So VW is not accepting buybacks on salvage/rebuilt titled vehicles?
__________________
'97 B4 Passat 397k sold!
'09 Jetta 6M 200k VW bought back Jan '17!
'05 E320 CDI fast fast, wrecked! rebuilding into a project hot rod

'15 Passat SEL Premium DSG
Dan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2018, 16:30   #2042
GoFaster
Moderator at Large
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan C. View Post
So VW is not accepting buybacks on salvage/rebuilt titled vehicles?
Read back a ways in this thread. It's not that simple. There is a lot of "if" and "when" involved.
__________________
Brian P.
formerly ... 2006 Jetta TDI 5-sp, Spice Red, Unitronics stage 1, 0.681 5th gear.
and before that ... 1996 Passat TDI, Silk Blue
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2018, 10:28   #2043
flargabarg
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Default

Also if you have not started the process, do it now. Otherwise I can almost guarantee that they will not buy your car back.
flargabarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2018, 16:45   #2044
duratitus
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Watertown NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flargabarg View Post
Also if you have not started the process, do it now. Otherwise I can almost guarantee that they will not buy your car back.
Disregard that......
The deadline to submit a claim was September 1st, so if you've not started the prcoess before then you've already missed the boat.
duratitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2018, 13:43   #2045
flargabarg
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Default

I thought that was the suggested date not a deadline. So I stand corrected!
flargabarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2018, 15:00   #2046
Jkhalil123
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: new york
TDI(s): golf
Default

i am looking for attorney accepting salvage titles 2.0 cars before 06 28 2016 please

Last edited by Jkhalil123; October 29th, 2018 at 18:03. Reason: wrong
Jkhalil123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2018, 14:26   #2047
Radek
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmule View Post
Check this spot next week...
Any luck guys with an attorney ? I tried reaching out to Allan @ buyback claims with no luck, I guess he's no longer interested in working with us

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
Radek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2018, 07:12   #2048
E2Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Any luck guys with an attorney ? I tried reaching out to Allan @ buyback claims with no luck, I guess he's no longer interested in working with us

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
Hi, we have two attorneys working on it. This will not be a class action lawsuit so unless you are a participant in our suit, you will not get any benefit. We are going for the full amount that VW owes "us" owners as per the original settlement agreement.

Send me an email at dieselbuyback@gmail.com or give me a call 813-403-9362 and I can explain more. I am not affiliated with Alan's group.

Best Regards,

Erik G

Last edited by E2Tdi; November 3rd, 2018 at 10:12.
E2Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2018, 10:03   #2049
Jkhalil123
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: new york
TDI(s): golf
Default

no luck finding a lawyer to take my case because my car's were salvage title's before june 28th, 2016
Jkhalil123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 23:15   #2050
amizan
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: los angeles
TDI(s): golf, jetta
Default 2012 TDI Touareg rejected

I have a 2012 TDI Touareg with a Clean CA title with a total / salvage history in another state. (found out too late via Carfax)

they claim the car has a salvage title and rejected it just this past week. submitted appeal to CRC but I am not hopeful.

the car is fine - up and running. sent them video of me driving the damn car. they have a clean title photo. they are just trying to get out of paying.

at this point I will take buyback without the restitution but they are not even offering that.... has anyone had any luck with the CRC ruling in their favor?

Also, why are salvage cars getting buyback offers (no restitution) and I am sitting here getting nothing?
amizan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2018, 00:25   #2051
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member
 
Lightflyer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Round Rock, Texas
Default

There were some changes made regarding salvage cars. Do you meet all the new criteria?
__________________
How to post pics:http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...t=post+picture
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2018, 07:23   #2052
lvrpl
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Texas
TDI(s): Passat TDI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amizan View Post
I have a 2012 TDI Touareg with a Clean CA title with a total / salvage history in another state. (found out too late via Carfax)
they claim the car has a salvage title and rejected it just this past week. submitted appeal to CRC but I am not hopeful.
the car is fine - up and running. sent them video of me driving the damn car. they have a clean title photo. they are just trying to get out of paying.
at this point I will take buyback without the restitution but they are not even offering that.... has anyone had any luck with the CRC ruling in their favor?
Also, why are salvage cars getting buyback offers (no restitution) and I am sitting here getting nothing?
Is your title clean, or rebuilt/restored? And when was it issued?

For what it's worth, I have a car that was salvage, repaired, submitted to the state for rebuilt title, and my state accidentally issued a clean title instead of a rebuilt title. This was all in summer 2017, so well before the Feb 2018 deadline to get salvage titles reissued/rebuilt. VW rejected my original claim and then I just heard back this week from the CRC that my appeal was also rejected.

Good luck, probably going to be an uphill battle for you.
lvrpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2018, 14:44   #2053
bizzle
Veteran Member
 
bizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern California
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvrpl View Post
Is your title clean, or rebuilt/restored? And when was it issued?
For what it's worth, I have a car that was salvage, repaired, submitted to the state for rebuilt title, and my state accidentally issued a clean title instead of a rebuilt title. This was all in summer 2017, so well before the Feb 2018 deadline to get salvage titles reissued/rebuilt. VW rejected my original claim and then I just heard back this week from the CRC that my appeal was also rejected.
Good luck, probably going to be an uphill battle for you.
Once a title is branded, it can't become unbranded (in California, at least). There are a few different ways to get a car's title to be registrable, but that won't make it "clean." I don't know of any way to convert a branded title into a clean title without some false representations or paperwork error (intentional or otherwise).

What happened in the case of the person you're responding to was a DMV error. His car was salvaged at one point and then restored or not, no branding was picked up by California DMV. It is still branded in the vehicle history, which is why it showed up in CARFAX, and it might even rebrand upon sale to another Californian.

I've only seen this happen once. I had a car that was salvaged in Washington, then branded as resurrected in Oregon, but when I finally brought it back home to California the title came to me "clean," which I knew was a mistake. I was tempted to turn around and sell it right then and there to a fellow Californian but my conscious, etc. conflicted with that. The car was one of those 65+ MPG Geo Metros that could be bought for a few hundred and then sold for upwards of 5K depending on fuel prices (at the time). In any case, I sold it back to some family friends in Oregon (with full disclosure that the title was currently clean but that the true history could be picked up in the future at any time without any warning) and sure enough when their son registered it the title came back Restored or whatever they use.

That was also the lesson I learned about due diligence and title branding since the seller didn't disclose the title brand to me when I bought it but neither did I ask nor did I pay attention to the title sitting on the table.
bizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 15:50   #2054
lvrpl
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Texas
TDI(s): Passat TDI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
Once a title is branded, it can't become unbranded (in California, at least). There are a few different ways to get a car's title to be registrable, but that won't make it "clean." I don't know of any way to convert a branded title into a clean title without some false representations or paperwork error (intentional or otherwise).
What happened in the case of the person you're responding to was a DMV error. His car was salvaged at one point and then restored or not, no branding was picked up by California DMV. It is still branded in the vehicle history, which is why it showed up in CARFAX, and it might even rebrand upon sale to another Californian.
I've only seen this happen once. I had a car that was salvaged in Washington, then branded as resurrected in Oregon, but when I finally brought it back home to California the title came to me "clean," which I knew was a mistake. I was tempted to turn around and sell it right then and there to a fellow Californian but my conscious, etc. conflicted with that. The car was one of those 65+ MPG Geo Metros that could be bought for a few hundred and then sold for upwards of 5K depending on fuel prices (at the time). In any case, I sold it back to some family friends in Oregon (with full disclosure that the title was currently clean but that the true history could be picked up in the future at any time without any warning) and sure enough when their son registered it the title came back Restored or whatever they use.
That was also the lesson I learned about due diligence and title branding since the seller didn't disclose the title brand to me when I bought it but neither did I ask nor did I pay attention to the title sitting on the table.
I agree that my case was a DMV mistake. I would have just had the DMV reissue a rebuilt title but, by the time we realized the mistake and that VW would reject it because they saw it had been salvaged on the history, it was after the February deadline to get rebuilt titles issued. So we went with an appeal instead, explaining the situation and even including a copy from my state's DMV showing that they had checked the wrong box when they processed the submission to convert the salvage title to a rebuilt title back in 2017. No luck - appeal rejected.

That said, there absolutely some states where you can restore a salvage title to un-branded. There aren't many states, and the requirements are different in each (and again, my car I'm referring to was not this case, it was just a mistake by the DMV) - but it is possible in some cases to legitimately get a title unbranded. Sure, vehicle history will still show it was totaled and salvaged, but in some cases it can have the brand removed.
lvrpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 14:35   #2055
bizzle
Veteran Member
 
bizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern California
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvrpl View Post
That said, there absolutely some states where you can restore a salvage title to un-branded. There aren't many states, and the requirements are different in each (and again, my car I'm referring to was not this case, it was just a mistake by the DMV) - but it is possible in some cases to legitimately get a title unbranded. Sure, vehicle history will still show it was totaled and salvaged, but in some cases it can have the brand removed.
No, there is no legitimate way to convert a branded title into a clean title.

What you are thinking about are certain states that classify various brands differently, and by routing a vehicle through those states one can remove a particular brand from the title, but that doesn't "clean" the car (and it's not a legitimate method, regardless).

If you try and pass that car off as a "clean" titled car, you can be prosecuted for fraud. If you don't know the car was "cleaned" like this, you might not be held liable for fraud but the car still won't be "clean." The car's status will still show with a VIN check and depending on where it gets registered the title will become branded again.

What you will have is a car's title that doesn't truly reflect its actual status (reflected in the official records)--but that doesn't make it a "clean" title just because the title doesn't reflect a brand.
bizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
salvage titles sooner Ontario 5 June 1st, 2011 21:38
CLEAN CLEAN 02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver w/black leather interior ctd2001 TDI Cars for Sale/Wanted 7 July 14th, 2009 18:51
link titles runonbeer TDIClub and TDIClub Forum News, Issues, Problems and Suggestions 2 January 31st, 2006 20:28
Titles kabatc TDIClub and TDIClub Forum News, Issues, Problems and Suggestions 1 September 4th, 2004 20:43
LOOK AT YOUR TITLES. LMIST1 VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) 23 September 3rd, 2002 16:01


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.19582 seconds with 12 queries
[Output: 132.45 Kb. compressed to 111.47 Kb. by saving 20.98 Kb. (15.84%)]