Downshift-cruise continues!

Caribou

TDI
1999 Golf, 06 Jetta, 2015 Gilf
Complaint Summary (required): Cruise control does NOT cancel when transmission is downshifted. Instead the vehicle surges ahead in the lower gear to achieve former speed.This could be hazardous when approaching a police stop, downshifting to enter a curve or slowing down for any number reasons. In former years VW manual transmission cars cancelled the cruise control when the clutch was dis-engaged, when the brake peddle was tapped or when the cruise was manually turned off or cancelled. In this newer model the application of the clutch pedal in up- or down-shifting does NOT cancel the "cruise-on" setting. The up-shift is described in the owner's manual with no mention of down-shifting (VW Golf owner's manual Canada edition, model year 2015, page259). We have owned this car (6 spd.TDI) for one year and also own two other manual VW TDIs (where this is not the case). I don't know if all recent manual VWs are so affected -the 2018 6spd. Golf R is. VW Canada has been notified (07 Dec.)

Above sent to Transport Canada 07 Dec. 2018

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
My 2015 TSI 5 speed manual does the same... what's the big deal? Just press the brake or push the button to cancel cruise control... I don't see this as a safety issue, it's not like the car is accelerating uncontrollably and you can't stop it

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Complaint Summary (required): Cruise control does NOT cancel when transmission is downshifted. Instead the vehicle surges ahead in the lower gear to achieve former speed.This could be hazardous when approaching a police stop, downshifting to enter a curve or slowing down for any number reasons. In former years VW manual transmission cars cancelled the cruise control when the clutch was dis-engaged, when the brake peddle was tapped or when the cruise was manually turned off or cancelled. In this newer model the application of the clutch pedal in up- or down-shifting does NOT cancel the "cruise-on" setting. The up-shift is described in the owner's manual with no mention of down-shifting (VW Golf owner's manual Canada edition, model year 2015, page259). We have owned this car (6 spd.TDI) for one year and also own two other manual VW TDIs (where this is not the case). I don't know if all recent manual VWs are so affected -the 2018 6spd. Golf R is. VW Canada has been notified (07 Dec.)
Above sent to Transport Canada 07 Dec. 2018
In this posting there is no mention that you took your car to the dealer to have this looked at. That should have been the first thing to do. There are certain responsibilities an owner has and by the looks of it nothing has been done on your part.