2012 Golf TDI Sell vs Fix

conrads.owner

TDI
2012 TDI
I'm having a hell of a time deciding to sell vs fix (I have sell already in progress). This is mostly me just thinking out loud but if you have advice I'd love to hear it.

My car: 2012 Golf TDI manual black 4 door w/ tech pkg. 105k miles.

He's not in the greatest cosmetic shape but not too bad, one dent/scrape on the left from a parking garage mishap and the odd scratch here and there. A couple lights and light covers that need to be replaced. Definitely needs a new set of tires. I know I've ignored the last several 10k service indicators (last receipt I can find is for 40k).

My hesitancy to sell vs fix comes down to the following factors:

-I have an emotional connection to the car and love driving it (yes I should take better care of it).

-I worry about being able to find another equally fun to drive car, whether TDI or something else (GTI?). Tech pkg is probably unnecessary (don't use the sunroof much and can get an aftermarket nav system if needed) but I need manual shift and the Dynasound is pretty sweet.

-I bought it new with the intention of driving it until its last gasp

My decision to sell comes down to simply $. If I keep it, I get $6. If I sell I get ~$21k. Kbb tells me my car is worth ~$10k so that's an extra $5k right there. Maybe that's all I need to know to make the decision. I see a used 2012 TDI w/out the tech pkg and only 45k miles in my area (sf bay) for $14k right now. So I could theoretically sell, get $7k, and get another TDI with 60k less miles...

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Your last paragraph answered your question ... particularly in view of your stated "not in the greatest cosmetic shape" and "ignored the last several 10k service indicators". Those mean that your particular car, if you were to try to sell it, probably would not be worth what KBB says.

Do the buyback ... buy a newer one with less mileage ... and take care of that one, because you will never find another one ...

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Do the buyback and buy a newer, better one with less miles.

Dont forget that KBB values are inflated. You might not get $10K for your car the way it is so the difference is even greater.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Keep in mind that a lot of cars that were sold back (like yours may be) were neglected. Although ignoring routine maintenance for 60K miles is extreme, the car you're getting will have an unknown service history.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Probably, but has to be better than a 105k mile car that has been neglected for 60k miles, cosmetically challenged, bald tires, and other assorted issues more than likely. I would take the unknown over this car. Wouldn't be a hard decision for me at all. Most people take care of their cars to some extent. I wouldn't say that a lot of them were neglected, but probably some of them were. At least they were supposed to get a once over before being resold.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
One of our staff worked at a VW dealer during the buyback. The stories she heard might surprise you. If you can get a Carfax on the buyback car you're purchasing and you can see it was maintained, that would be a big plus in my opinion.

But I agree, not servicing a car for 60K miles is extreme.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
isn't that the definition of long life oil?

joshhol

TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT no sunroof, 1976 MBZ 300D & 1963 MBZ 220S; sold 2013 JSW TDI 6MT
In my own case, i hated what the fix did to my Gen 1 so much so that i got a malone tune that helped a great deal.
Go test drive a post fix car if you can but looks like you should buyback and swap i to a newer one. I understand emotional connection to vehicles. Just properly say goodbye to it and let him go to car heaven.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
It’s foolish not to take the buyback. $21k for a meh-condition Golf with over 100k miles? Why wouldn’t you?

I just bought a 2015 Golf TDI SEL with Lighting and Driver’s Assistance Packages for $15k. Only 45k miles, and has a service entry in the Carfax every 7500-10k miles all at one dealership. Did I mention it also has a 165k mile warranty?

You could be driving one too, and $5000+ richer. Here are a couple others I was considering:

http://www.chooserev.com/detail-2015-volkswagen-golf-tdi_sel_4~door-used-18008628.html

https://www.vwofrochesternh.com/veh...se-w-lighting-4-door-rochester-nh-id-26395460

VW of Rochester has a ton of TDI’s at a great price. And they all have a VW CPO warranty for 2yrs/Unlimited miles bumper-to-bumper in addition to the emissions warranty.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Sell the car. If you were really attached to it you'd have maintained it better. Buy a Toyota or some other make more tolerant of neglect.

conrads.owner

TDI
2012 TDI
thanks for the helpful replies everyone. some of you misunderstood my comment about service history but it's fine. JM Popaleetus comment really drives the point home. I'll schedule the buyback for December and hopefully have 2015 model in time for the transition.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I'd try and move that up, nothing to be gained from waiting until the last minute.

But I guess that's falling on deaf ears seeing "I've ignored the last several 10k service indicators"

Bonus points if the steel belts on all 4 corners are showing when you turn it in!