Low Tire Light ON.. All tires OK !!!

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
I also respectfully have to say that the pressure on the tire is max psi, not the recommended pressure for your car. Don't run max psi. Well, I guess you can if you want to, but I certainly wouldn't.
Been running MAX PSI for 20+ years. Get best fuel economy and car just rolls better, in my experience!

viking427

Veteran Member
TDI
VW
Guys, two questions;
1) Can the reset button mod be added to a 2010 (direct 315mhz wheel sensors). I know its intended for the 2011+ ABS TPMS systems, but wondering if it can also be added to the earlier "direct" tpms systems, whereby it would operate the same - grounding the pin on the ABS module to make the dash light go out. I don't believe so, but wanted to check.
2) For the earlier direct (individual wheel sensors) TPMS systems, how does the computer know if you have a spare or not ? or if your spare has a TPMS sensor in it even ?

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
A couple bits of info about the indirect TPMS system that uses the wheel speed sensors to calculate if a tire is losing air or not.

The system analyzes not only difference in wheel speed, but also difference in frequencies. If something got stuck in the tread of a tire, it could pick up the change in vibration. That's how sensitive these systems are. Such things are taken into account to set the warning light.

With that having been said, there are times where simply having different brand tires on your vehicle can be enough to trigger the warning, and resetting via the button doesn't help, it just comes back on again soon after.

One thing VW has done is to incorporate what it calls an EEPROM reset into the ABS module for the TPMS specifically. It is actuated by logging into the ABS module and going to basic settings, entering the number 42 and executing the basic setting. Cycle the key and go for a short drive. This is a sort of re-learn procedure for the TPMS, so it may actually learn any unusual differences in tire frequencies as being normal.

At the dealer level, we've even been asked by VW's techline to replace wheel bearings as a possible cause of vibrations that may trigger the warning on cars that continue to have recurring problems with the warning setting, even though no real issue can be detected.

R-1150-RS

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Been running MAX PSI for 20+ years. Get best fuel economy and car just rolls better, in my experience!
It is certainly true that your fuel economy will be slightly better due to running tires that are hard due to being inflated at maximum pressure.

However, it is also true that they will have reduced traction, especially when road surfaces are slick or snow-covered. Hard tires don't stop nor corner as well as properly inflated tires. They don't flex as they are designed to over irregular surfaces too, resulting in diminished traction.

They would also be more prone to a blow-out if you hit a sharp pot-hole. I would never run a tire at their maximum pressure as you only have their minimum safety reserve left and they could blow out if subjected to a sharp rise in pressure due to hitting a bump.

The factory factors in weight and dynamic forces to determine which pressure setting works best for typical driving conditions and loads.

Just because bumping tire pressure up can slightly increase fuel economy does not mean it is a smart move from a safety perspective.

Gary
:) :)

AmandaSch

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
I just bought new tires 3 weeks ago and the light came on already. With my previous set it had come on a couple of times also. Haven't had extreme cold this winter. Put a little air and after driving a mile maybe light went off.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I got tired of clearing the light every rubber swap or rotation.
So I disabled all monitoring.

No more light. Done.

Sent from my s-off'ed m7 with CM11

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
%$#!@ the TPMS light came back on, but now, I can't get it to turn off.

Using my VCDS, I found it had reset to 5.5bar. Done that a few times and each time, I just put it back to 2.5bar and it's usually worked. So I tried 2.4 and 2.6bar and it's still on despite having the tires up to 40PSI.

Well, the settings are holding, but I'm getting this fault and I can not clear it. So now, my TPMS light blinks for about a minute, then stays solid and I can't get rid of it.

Code:
1 Fault Found:
01325 - Control Module for Tire Pressure Monitoring (J502) 
            005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 01100101
                    Fault Priority: 3
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 255
                    Mileage: 146322 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2008.14.05
                    Time: 19:58:45

Looks like I may have no choice but to go into the dealership. I'd prefer not to disable it entirely.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
The "005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation" sounds like the module forgot it's coding. Do you have previous complete vcds logs that include the tpms coding?

You might be able to adapt your TPMS to monitor pressure through the ABS sensors like on the newer vws.

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I had that happen too. You can fix it with VCDS. This is from my post, #126 in this thread. If you poke around like I did, maybe you can find the same place to reset the controller.

From post #126
"I found that the controller coding had reset to all zeros! I went into the long coding helper and found that the 3 different bits could be changed from no coding 00, to the proper coding of 01, 87, and 05, to end up with 018705 as in my original scan. That still didn't clear the issue, not immediately, but after I drove and restarted the car the fault finally disappeared!"

Code with error, reset to 018705 fixed my issue!
Address 65: Tire Pressure (J502) Labels: 1K0-937-08x-65.clb
Part No SW: 1K0 937 087 G HW: 1K0 937 087 G
Component: RDK 103 0521
Coding: 000000
Shop #: WSC 131071 1023 2097151
VCID: 354FC35B9C8DCAB6775-8060

1 Fault Found:
Freeze Frame:
Mileage: 124497 km
Date: 2041.14.30
Time: 18:55:30

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I had that happen too. You can fix it with VCDS. This is from my post, #126 in this thread. If you poke around like I did, maybe you can find the same place to reset the controller.

From post #126
"I found that the controller coding had reset to all zeros! I went into the long coding helper and found that the 3 different bits could be changed from no coding 00, to the proper coding of 01, 87, and 05, to end up with 018705 as in my original scan. That still didn't clear the issue, not immediately, but after I drove and restarted the car the fault finally disappeared!"

Code with error, reset to 018705 fixed my issue!
Address 65: Tire Pressure (J502) Labels: 1K0-937-08x-65.clb
Coding: 000000
Shop #: WSC 131071 1023 2097151
VCID: 354FC35B9C8DCAB6775-8060

1 Fault Found:
Freeze Frame:
Mileage: 124497 km
Date: 2041.14.30
Time: 18:55:30
Hmm, this looks like it just might work. I remember going into the long coding helper and it shows all 0s like you describe. But I didn't mess with it.

I'll try this out when I get home.

EDIT: Looking at my full scan, it looks like our parts are identical, so I feel a bit more confident that your 018705 coding will work on my car as well. X fingers.

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^Good luck! Mine has been fine for more than 2 years since I fixed the coding for the controller. I hope it works for you too. I guess you should also check your original scan to use your numbers, not mine. Although maybe mine would work fine. Maybe they're even the same numbers.

Again, good luck!

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^Good luck! Mine has been fine for more than 2 years since I fixed the coding for the controller. I hope it works for you too. I guess you should also check your original scan to use your numbers, not mine. Although maybe mine would work fine. Maybe they're even the same numbers.

Again, good luck!
I don't know if I have the original scans. I'm using a new computer (Dell Venue 11) and those scans would be on the previous netbook I was using before. But that computer has been having some issues.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I searched and found the link below with a a full scan from a different 2010 MKVI TDI. The car had the same numbers for the controller!

See post #46 at this link

from Post #46 at link
Address 65: Tire Pressure (J502) Labels: None
Coding: 018705
Shop #: WSC 01357 011 00200
No fault code found.

Last edited:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
When I switched from independent sensors to abs feedback, I had it coded wrong, where it would stop complaining of missing sensor feedback, but properly respond from wheel speed changes, but I couldn't just I renitiate an adaptation, I had to disable and save encoding, and re-enable for a reset.

I knew that was wrong and not correct, so more looking and poking, now it was properly set.

In the end, I don't have the glove box reset, got tired of using a laptop, so I just turned it all off.

I managed without it the previous 30 cars, and so it'll continue.

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I searched and found the link below with a a full scan from a different 2010 MKVI TDI. The car had the same numbers for the controller!

See post #46 at this link

from Post #46 at link
Address 65: Tire Pressure (J502) Labels: None
Coding: 018705
Shop #: WSC 01357 011 00200
No fault code found.
Ok, I managed to locate an original scan and my code was 018704. The long coding helper shows the last bit is 05 for Factory mode and 04 is a service mode. Setting it to 05 didn't work. Error remained. But when I set it to 04, it cleared. Fault went away without me even going in and doing it myself.

Thanks again for the help. It definitely pointed me in the right direction.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^That's great news! I'm so happy to hear it worked for you! That's what these forums are all about!

f1wanabe

TDI
2015 Golf Tdi S DSG
DOn't know if anyone mentioned this because I'm too lazy to look, but I just picked up a 2012 tdi Sportswagen today and the low tire pressure light came on. Called dealer and he told me about the reset switch located in the upper left of the glove compartment. Press and hold for 5 seconds and it resets and recalibrates the TPMS.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
DOn't know if anyone mentioned this because I'm too lazy to look, but I just picked up a 2012 tdi Sportswagen today and the low tire pressure light came on. Called dealer and he told me about the reset switch located in the upper left of the glove compartment. Press and hold for 5 seconds and it resets and recalibrates the TPMS.
You need to do that AFTER you check all the tires.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
You need to do that AFTER you check all the tires.
Haha. I did that.

Light came back. Checked. All good. Reset.

Light came back. ***?! Oh well. Kept driving.

Couple tanks of fuel later, noticed something like I had a bent rim.

Nope. Cords and belts separating.

It was just enough to upset tire rotation.

It looked a lot better with air pressure. Haha.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Haha. I did that.

Light came back. ***?! Oh well. Kept driving.

Couple tanks of fuel later, noticed something like I had a bent rim.

Nope. Cords and belts separating.

It was just enough to upset tire rotation.

It looked a lot better with air pressure. Haha.

Oh snap! That'll do it :eek: :D
Oh snap! That'll do it :eek: :D

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
08-07-12 Post #117
Sure enough, in my car the setting had changed to 5.5 bar! Funny, or not so funny really, that the thing resets itself to such a high pressure. Hopefully it won't happen again for at least another 2-years. I guess I really do need my own VCDS for this VW.
11-05-13 Post #126
It's been a little over a year since the last time, but it happened again! Well, kind of. The TPMS came on again and when I checked my tires they were all exactly what I set them to not too long ago. They were holding pressure great!

So, since now I finally have my own VCDS, I went in to check things for myself. I figured it reset to 55 again. Nope! They were all still at 22, just like they were when my wonderful friend set them lower for me last year. I also couldn't clear the fault and the measuirng blocks didn't seem to work. I was confused, but kept poking around.

I found that the controller coding had actually reset to all zeros! I went into the long coding helper and found that the 3 different bits could be changed from no coding 00, to the proper coding of 01, 87, and 05, to end up with 018705 as in my original scan. That still didn't clear the issue, not immediately, but after I drove and restarted the car the fault finally disappeared!...
04-09-14 Post #135
It happened to me again! TPMS light on and all tires OK. This is the third time for me in 4 years. This time the controller had reset to 55 as explained in previous posts. Thanks to VCDS I'm fault free again!
12-06-19
It just happened again, 4th time in 10-years of ownership! I had the flashing light and all tires were OK, then checked the settings and all were set at 55. I changed the setting back to 22 and all is good! 2.2 bar is ~ 32 psi. That's about where I like my tires. Funny, 5.5 bar is 80 psi!

Last edited:

Arawak420

TDI
JSW 2.0
I reset/ cleared my tpms code when I cleared my obdii code after other non related repairs. Hasn't came back on.

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
My 2014 JSW has a TPMS reset button inside the glove box. Whenever tire pressure is changed up/down by some (undisclosed) amount it will light your TPMS light. After you adjust pressures simply press that button and it will recalibrate. Might have to do this if you rotate tires for example.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
My TPMS light went on a few months ago.
Tires within 3 or 4 PSI. Filled all to 42 PSI (iIrc) and reset the light.
Has been OK since.
I prefer to inflate them to a bit below the max pressure listed of the side wall.
Less pressure and the threads on the outer edges wear faster with my driving.

joesaiditstrue

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0L DSG
My 2013 JSW was doing this for a month straight with all tires manually verified to be at proper PSI

One of my tires had a plug put in a few months prior, which made me wonder if the plug was causing unstable rotation even though it had proper pressure

anyway, I had 4 brand new tires installed and the issue is gone, just wanted to share my anecdotal story in case it helps somebody