VAG-COM OBD Scanners references/FAQ

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A6 Avant BHW 6 speed manual, 2003 Golf ALH 506k miles
Xtool VAG401 This is well worth $50. It's a little slower than VagCom, but you also have to know a little bit about using VagCom in order to navigate with this. I was able to reprogram locking and seat belt chime on 2006 Jetta.

miran

TDI
VW
I have the VCDS HEX NET and the Obd eleven Pro. I own a 2002 VW Golf TDI. The obd eleven did not even detect an engine so I could not even clear or check engine codes. The VCDS works but takes some time to get use to the interface and is slow but it works and for me that's what matters.

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
When you buy your VAGCOM-VCDS from Ross-Tech, you get tech support.
You can also download the program to any compatible computer you have. The CABLE is the key to everything.
I just got a little laptop, Dell 3180 refurb, from Tiger Direct with WIN 10 pro on it. It was less than $200. ($170+ tax and shipping) I got it for use with the VCDS exclusively when I found my old Dell 5100 with MS-XP wouldn't handle the new release 22.9 properly.

You can do all sorts of "adjustments" to the ecu with the VCDS too, changing the IQ if you change injectors is one of those.
PS. I don't work for Ross.

holeintheice

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI SW
looking to buy a VW program (unlimited) to program keys, immobilizer, code, everything that the dealership can do? is that VAG or VCDS? thanks

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
Depends. Around 2007 and onward, most VW / Audi vehicles will have Immobilizer 4C. 4C and newer will generate a "random" rolling code with each ignition cycle. At the dealer level, the factory scan tool submits that rolling code to a server somewhere in Germany where it gets decrypted and sent back to the dealer. As you might guess, VW / Audi isn't going to let VCDS customers have access to those servers.

On the older generation of Immobilizers, 4B and back (2006 range and older), if some one has the means to pull the correct PIN data, then VCDS can be used for Immobilizer matching.

If you have additional questions, give our sales team a call.

Regards.