Cranking but not firing up, hpfp failure?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Hello,

I just got an 2014 JSW a month ago with 27k miles and now I went to a local grocery store tonight and finished my business there and hopped in and I cranked her up like usual but she didn’t fire up. I thought I did it little too short of cranking so I crank her again and was shocked... CEL stayed on. P3 gauge didn’t show any codes. So..... what a failure of hpfp is like? Cranking and not firing up? I just filled up diesel last Sunday and drove her to next town and back and havent drove her since... only 50 miles on the tank now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Could be the hpfp, could be something else. You need to get the codes read. If it indicates insufficient rail pressure, then check the filter and hpfp screen for metal debris.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok thanks a bunch, good ol’ turbobrick! Good to see you still around. :)

CincyJSW

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 6 Speed Manual
Following - good luck! I’m buying another tdi wagon and it’ll only be 2013-14 because I want MKVI and I want to be sure that diesel filler tube protector was installed from the factory. I know there are competing other threads about this, but I still wonder if VW isn’t using the lack of filler neck protectors as a de facto reason to say their suspension test shows gasoline in your system.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Cincy, the reliability of those TDI’s are amazing. Look on my signature, my old JSW lasted nearly 300k miles without a hiccup. Only one glow plug failure out of 300k and never needed a tow truck, she ran with 3 and went in the shop and back on road in a hour. Thats how reliable she was. Her final day she needed tow truck to bring it to the vw stealership in order for buyback due to failing M1 unit. She can drive on her own power but one gear only lol forward and back. Good enough. Oh yeah I was heart broken to see her go, was hoping to get 500k or more out of her but buyback.... cant beat that. This new one, will go further than that old one. As long as no serious accidents in the near future *knocks on the wood*

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Also, keep in mind, those buyback vehicles come with bumper to bumper warranty unlimited miles 2 years.... plus 164k/11 years for 2015 MY vehicles, emission warranty that covers HPFP to emission parts including the DPF. Your headaches would be gone. 2009-14 gets 120k/10 years. Nothing can beat that.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Well..... VCDS said fuel pump relay.... what can I do about this? She fired up and drove her home.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok the update.... FP relay failed. They said it has happened with PO and thinking there are 63 other reasons to affect it to fail twice so they are keeping her to inspect other causes.... will keep you guys posted.

SkiBumJH

TDI
2009 JSW, sold back 11/17, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Also, keep in mind, those buyback vehicles come with bumper to bumper warranty unlimited miles 2 years.... plus 164k/11 years for 2015 MY vehicles, emission warranty that covers HPFP to emission parts including the DPF. Your headaches would be gone. 2009-14 gets 120k/10 years. Nothing can beat that.

On the 2009-2014's that 120k/10 yr starts at original purchase date, not when you buy it...
Why a 13-14 but not a 10-12? My 12 has the fuel filler safety stuff.:confused:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Sooooo truly awesome! Today is my birthday and the car broke down again.

I had her towed to VW last week after I posted this. Got her back last night due to fuel pump relay failure..... exactly 24 hours later, she did it again. I AM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER. 2nd strike. 3rd strike CP3 pump and I don’t care about warranty. I need a reliable car. My old 2011 JSW never let me down, not even once for nearly 300k miles.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
First of all, happy birthday! Don't fret too much over the car problems- happens to us all. I just put my truck back on the road today and three power steering/hydroboost lines decided to spring leaks one after another. At least pinpointing the problem with leaks is usually really easy. Hang in there.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I am an videophone technician, no car means no work which means no money flowing in. Thus why I am not a happy camper.

No loaner car either. This stealership is not prepared.

I took her to different stealership because they obviously failed her and me from last week to the night before.

Last time was Sanford FL, now this time Leesburg FL. Im not a fan of Leesburg. But no choice as she broke down a mile away from the stealership. The reason why I am not a fan, they didnt clean up the mess for the oil change so you get the idea..... yummy burnt oil on exhaust system.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's rough. I'd be looking for another dealer that does better work and provides free loaners for warranty repairs.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Exactly. Thats what I just did. The service desk guy I spoke to today, thinks that its possible that the aux or in tank pump went bad and sent feedbacks to the relay and destroyed it. I am inclined to agree. Its similar to static shock touching the pc parts inside which will fry the whole pc or the part itself.

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
Based on many years with power switching equipment: more likely a failing pump with a bad motor causing relay to over current on the contacts

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
That comment is valid. That is what I am thinking since the night she broke down. Obviously other shop didn’t do their jobs properly.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow you wont believe this..... got my car back today....

From what I was told by phone. They said fuse actually melted. So they replaced it and tried to start it, it popped. They were baffled. So they checked in-tank and aux pump, dead. Checked wiring. Replaced in-tank pump and fuse. Running fine. They also said cp4 pump also just been replaced on this visit just in case. Interesting.

Last edited:

zrheard@bama.ua.edu

TDI
2004 Jetta
Ok the update.... FP relay failed. They said it has happened with PO and thinking there are 63 other reasons to affect it to fail twice so they are keeping her to inspect other causes.... will keep you guys posted.

no further word on those 63 other reasons?

Wow you wont believe this..... got my car back today....

From what I was told by phone. They said fuse actually melted. So they replaced it and tried to start it, it popped. They were baffled. So they checked in-tank and aux pump, dead. Checked wiring. Replaced in-tank pump and fuse. Running fine. They also said cp4 pump has been replaced. Interesting.

Is it a fuel issue, a blockage overworking the system? debris in the tank/line?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope no blockage or whichever. Anddddddd she broke down once again yesterday... 3rd strike! I told the service writer I want to apply lemon law on that piece of @;$:):&;$ he said possibly, need to see why she did it again. Its her actual 4th time. First was in NJ as shown on carfax and 3 times with me. Its not acceptable at all. I am beyond furious! I am itching to burn her into the ground.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
No debris or any fuel issues, they actually checked the fuel and no metal shaving of any kind as if she is brand new.

no further word on those 63 other reasons?

Is it a fuel issue, a blockage overworking the system? debris in the tank/line?

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I did not read the whole thread BUT STOP CRANKING IT. If you had a HPFP failure it will spread the metal.

If you suspectr a failure like HPFP pull that cup off the top of engine near HPFP and look for metal. Sorry I don't have time but google it. There is a place you can open in the fuel line path that will show of your HPFP hand-grenade/

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Ah, last 2 times, HPFP was fine but they went ahead to replace the HPFP and now 3rd time... same behavior. I am gonna force them to apply lemon law on that crap car. I don’t feel safe driving that car any more. I drive 150-200 miles daily and I don’t want to be bound to be stuck somewhere in the far country road with no cell phone signal. That scares me the most. She gotta go period.

They didn’t find any metal shaving in the fuel filter area for past 3 times. Now its her 4th time in grand total. Will post an update when I hear from the shop.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Now I got the official news....

VW said Cp4 Fuel pump failure, J17 and J832 relays blown, aux pump blown.

Last edited:

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
So it shows pretty much it aint a lemon, the stealerships is basically incompetent

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Perhaps. I like your response. I planned to install CP3 but that dang car is so unreliable, it scares me to even have CP3 installed, who knows she may fail again.

So it shows pretty much it aint a lemon, the stealerships is basically incompetent

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Perhaps. I like your response. I planned to install CP3 but that dang car is so unreliable, it scares me to even have CP3 installed, who knows she may fail again.
My takeaway is you had one problem, improperly diagnosed/serviced three or four times. That should count for some kind of capital/goodwill at the dealer (or if they get stingy/defensive, elevate the case to VWoA... they're exceptional to deal with in my experience).

Regarding the CP3 vs CP4... it's a no brainer. They're a far superior pump to even the later upgraded VW pumps.

The challenge will be seeing how much of the pump, install and warranty you can get VW to cover.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Just wow.... vw just called me today.... the CP4 pump’s modules was fried somehow as they said it literally melted inside. I told them to replace the pump.... AGAIN.... i also said this will be the last time and if she breaks down, I am done. Lemon law applies to this hunk of junk. 30k miles.... unbelievable.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
My takeaway is you had one problem, improperly diagnosed/serviced three or four times. That should count for some kind of capital/goodwill at the dealer (or if they get stingy/defensive, elevate the case to VWoA... they're exceptional to deal with in my experience).

Regarding the CP3 vs CP4... it's a no brainer. They're a far superior pump to even the later upgraded VW pumps.

The challenge will be seeing how much of the pump, install and warranty you can get VW to cover.

Hmm you have valid argument right there. Exactly why I prefer to wait until she stabilizes herself before we go ahead install the CP3. I of course agree with you that CP3 is far superior pump than the CP4.1......

I am considering of going ahead to contact with VWoA and go from there. I am literally exhausted and scared to get this car back. I drive average 2-4k miles per month. As for my old 2011 JSW, I out nearly 300k miles on her, almost trouble-free miles.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Ohhhh you wont believe this. They found the wiring from fuse box to cp4 is bad. It is somehow modified by former owner or other vw shop. They just ordered new wiring. They asked me. I told them i know nothing of automobile electronics. They said ok you are off the hook. Whew.

This car is truly unbelievable!

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh good, they are replacing everthing they can find associated with the problem. FISHING EXPEDITION. Good thing it aint on your dime.

See post #24 about competency