Bio Blends from the pump in a 2011 TDI

NCL

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Hi everyone,
Forgive the newbie question... I might just be overly nervous with my new TDI, but I want to be careful and keep this thing running for hundreds and hundreds of thousands of miles!

I read in the manual that I shouldn't use fuel with a biodiesel blend higher than 5% in the 2011 engine. Doing so, the manual claims, will ruin the engine and void my warranty.

Here's the thing: Most of the diesel pumps in my area (Evanston, IL) have stickers on them that say something like "the fuel at this pump may contain a blend of biodiesel between 5% and 20%". Should I avoid these pumps?

It's already a bit of a gamble to find diesel pumps in my area (this is E85 country, 'round here), so I'd really like to keep my options open. It would be a drag to have to fuel up at the same one or two stations.

Thanks everyone!

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
You should follow thread in Midwest section on Chicago BioDiesel topic. Lots of good discussion.

Read up on biodiesel and oil dilution to understand issue at hand. That will help you decide.

Lake County has several stations still unlabeled, as are tollway Mobils.

Some of mine. Dundee and Sanders BP (though not in Lake) Lincolnshire Shell and Mobil on 21 and 22; Citgo in Wadworth has both types. I have a couple others but nearer to fox lake.

When they are gone I will use biodiesel at a good source without concern and check my oil for dilution issues with a UOA. Used oil analysis.

PS. If you've got one or two in your area, add them to discussion in Midwest forum.

Last edited:

3516ACERT

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Don't sweat it too much, the label is "lawyer approved" covering them in case of future changes at the federal level. They don't want to put a B05 sticker on now and then be told later they are mandated to use a 10% or 20% blend.

Same with VW - the lawyers input into the 5% maximum language in the manual is not because the engine can't tolerate higher levels, it's a minimizing liability tactic.

IF you have a fuel related issue, and you admit to using B20 they're going to charge you for the repair. Doesn't matter if you actually only fueled with B05 or less and "THOUGHT" you bought B20, they're going to try and weasel you out of your warranty.

Hell, even if you bought nothing but dinosaur diesel and had a fuel problem they'd try every tactic they could think of to weasel you out of your warranty. What's to stop a dealership from charging both you and Volkswagen for the same repair?

I've run up to B25 with no problems in my 2010 JSW - oil shows no sign of fuel, and DPF regen seems to be very normal. I have NOT run consecutive tanks >B20, mostly due to my sporadic biodiesel purchasing habits. (I never seem to be both near my source of B100 and have my fuel can at the same time)

My infrequent B25 tanks have mostly been from "topping off" a 3/4 tank of petroleum diesel with B100.

Just don't tell your dealership you're using biodiesel. They'll never know unless you tell them, and it's in your best interest not to tell them. They can't tell from changing the fuel filter, unless you're running B100 (which is bright yellow).

Think of it as adding a cup of olive oil to a gallon of corn oil. (8%?) You can't distinguish the olive oil from the corn/olive mixture.

b4black

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta blue

Here's the thing: Most of the diesel pumps in my area (Evanston, IL) have stickers on them that say something like "the fuel at this pump may contain a blend of biodiesel between 5% and 20%". Should I avoid these pumps?
If it has that label, you can be 95% sure it has 11% biodiesel. IL waives sales tax for blends greater than 10%. In the Chicago area, you can still find some straight diesel pumps.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Same with VW - the lawyers input into the 5% maximum language in the manual is not because the engine can't tolerate higher levels, it's a minimizing liability tactic.

I've run up to B25 with no problems in my 2010 JSW - oil shows no sign of fuel
LOL! As a veteran B100 user of 9 years, I got a good laugh out of your comments.

The sad reality is that these engines CANNOT tolerate high concentrations of Biodiesel.

You MUST do UOA analysis in order to know for sure. You do not look for "fuel" in the oil as the test, you look at the FLASHPOINT and viscosity of the oil. If it is changing then you have cylinder wash.

I have done the testing on the Jeep with the Mercedes 3.0L V6 CRD and saw even at 1000 miles a change in the oil. By 5000 miles it was so impacted and the viscosity so change I did an oil change. At 10 Liters per change this was too excessive to warrant using B100.

As well time will tell. You may get away with it for even 20K miles but by then the damage may be extensive.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
I inadvertantly used a B20 pump for at least 10 tanks and also was blending a qt. of mixed B100/8 oz PS. No ill effects to my knowledge, but once I noticed it I changed stations.

kentuckytdi

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
I have no adversion to biodiesel... it is just the politicians removing ones freedom of choice! I find myself driving in states that are now only offering biodiesel above 5%.
VW has been of no help and publicly sticking to the >5% prohibitionn and voiding warranties. I travel extensively through Illinois and Iowa and I get off the interstate and buy fuel... I do not have the time to shop all over for a bio free fuel.

VW should step up and and deal with this problem.