TDIFest 2012, Where will it be?

jdhunt0

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I think Knoxville, TN or somewhere within driving distance of the Dragon's Tail would be a great spot.

airwolf

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I think Knoxville, TN or somewhere within driving distance of the Dragon's Tail would be a great spot.
I have tried to look around this area for a venue meets the requirements for fest. It is tough finding a hotel that has a large enough parking lot AND conference space. I can usually find one or the other. Also, places around here are booked up well in advance.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
I've started things a little differently this year. Please see the Expressions of interest post for details on how to get started to bring TDIFest to a location near you. Please note while the requirements for the "Expression of Interest" is lower, they are due before TDIFest in order to provide assistance AT TDIFest on putting a proposal together.

canast

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Bright Green. Retired - 2003 Red Beetle GLS, deer got it.
I remember that. And the father and son who drove 150 miles from Iowa (partly on dirt roads), and got their TDI running better than it had in years, thanks to mrchill and others. Or the firefighter who was out bicycling, stumbled on the Fest, and got a Rocketchip tune and ventectomy. I think that was part of the fun: educating and helping out newbies. Maybe that should be a goal of the fest: to attract people who aren't club regulars.
Wouldn't it be nice to get a listing of all the TDI owners with 150 miles of each fest to send out invites.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
I have attended and covered a Ford Diesel Truck event called RiffRaff East for the last three years held in Newport, TN centered at the KOA Kampgrounds. The event has food and other things at the pavilion and attendees either camp, rent one of the cabins, bring their RVs or stay at one of the nearby hotels. They use the local 1/8-mile drag strip (English Mountain Dragway) for fun racing that I actually took my TDI on this year and it was only $10 per person if I remember correctly and they had the track to themselves for a few hours before the regular Friday night racing started. Then on Saturday one of the mobile dyno guys brings his dyno up and dynos trucks all day. This is something that would work very well for the TDI group as well. Maybe even make the drive down to Chatt. for a VW Factory tour or something... I also know there is a very good VW shop not to far from Newport in MF Automotive in case someone wanted to do some serious wrenching...

If the 2012 event is somewhat close to me I will likely be able to cover it in Diesel World magazine like I am gonna do with this year's event, here in Lexington, KY. I look forward to seeing everyone up there in just a few days!!!

Take care,
Chris

Chunkerz

Veteran Member
TDI
'99.5 Golf
Let's so it somewhere near Baltimore or DC! I've never been to a TDI fest before and I really want to experience it :( :( :(

Edit- I know there was one in DC in 2009, but maybe we could have one in Baltimore or somewhere else in Maryland/a state near it like Delaware or Pennsylvania?

Last edited:

BioG8R

TDI
'11 Sportwagen, Other coal oil burners '92 D350 Cummins, '90 K2500 6.2
2012 Pre Apocolyptic TDIFest

I am sure param e dick (as he stated at the banquet) is still reeling from the effects of hosting the event.
I would love for the 2012 event to be held in a central US location, ie; Indy, IN, Bowling Green, KY or maybe Nashville,TN.

I would be eager to help put on the event and would be honored to put on a Biodiesel Production mini course complete with portable onsite production and quality testing.

Bowling Green, http://www.bgky.org/visitor.php because of their ability to house conventions and their automotive gusto. The Corvette assy plant and Museum & Road Course and Beech Bend Amusement Park - Dragway, Beautiful drives and quality roads, Lakes, River and Mammoth Cave. Many ways to have fun!

Indy, "The Crossroads of America", pretty well speaks for itself, I am not impressed with the flatland driving and road quality away from the ctiy. They do have outstanding automotive infrastructure & support.

I will try to be involved no matter the venue but being an Ag teacher and having an event during the school year, the closer to the 71-75 triangle area the better.

SoKYTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-door
I am sure param e dick (as he stated at the banquet) is still reeling from the effects of hosting the event.
I would love for the 2012 event to be held in a central US location, ie; Indy, IN, Bowling Green, KY or maybe Nashville,TN.

Bowling Green, http://www.bgky.org/visitor.php because of their ability to house conventions and their automotive gusto. The Corvette assy plant and Museum & Road Course and Beech Bend Amusement Park - Dragway, Beautiful drives and quality roads, Lakes, River and Mammoth Cave. Many ways to have fun!

Indy, "The Crossroads of America", pretty well speaks for itself, I am not impressed with the flatland driving and road quality away from the ctiy. They do have outstanding automotive infrastructure & support.
And since the Nashville Speedway just lost all its NASCAR contracts, they might be willing to deal. Just sayin'!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Didn't we just have one in a (relatively) central location? Two years in a row in Kentucky seems unlikely. And maybe somewhere where it's not going to be 97 degrees would be helpful, although I know this has been a year of unusual weather.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Well, to be fair, it was only 97 degrees on one day :rolleyes: Saturday it was 104 Degrees.....

Then again by Monday it dropped to 56 Degrees :eek:

MrVermin

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Yeah the weather was all over the place this weekend. That's okay though... had a GREAT TIME!

As for the 2012 Fest, nothing was mentioned at the banquet. We had a Fest planning meeting up on the 4th floor balcony Sunday evening to go over some ideas for 2012. Look for a proposal coming in the next couple of weeks! We definitely have a great team coming together for Ypsi! :cool:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Wait, there was a 'fest 2012 discussion going amongst the video games, ETKA installs, beer drinking, and general loud hotel-management-warning-inducing banter that night on the 4th floor? :D

VeeDubTDI

TDI
You bet! No better time to do it than in the middle of a party. ;)

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Well, to be fair, it was only 97 degrees on one day :rolleyes: Saturday it was 104 Degrees.....

Then again by Monday it dropped to 56 Degrees :eek:

MrVermin
Y'all did catch the part where we set records for the heat those days???

Definitely NOT the normal temps for September.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I heard something about the hottest weekend in September for 60 years. :eek:

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
I'd like to see the Fest go to Toronto - great TDI community there, awesome city with lots of great stuff to see/do/eat and its very car-friendly. Its fairly central...ish....

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Wait, there was a 'fest 2012 discussion going amongst the video games, ETKA installs, beer drinking, and general loud hotel-management-warning-inducing banter that night on the 4th floor? :D
Hmmm... I managed to sleep quite well the whole time, and I was on the 4th floor next to the elevator(s).

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
I'd like to see the Fest go to Toronto - great TDI community there, awesome city with lots of great stuff to see/do/eat and its very car-friendly. Its fairly central...ish....
Toronto would be fun, I just need to be able to drive it in two days tops. I did Montreal in two days each way - I did the return from Lexington in one!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Hmmm... I managed to sleep quite well the whole time, and I was on the 4th floor next to the elevator(s).
I was very impressed with how quiet the hotels were for a building with an open atrium. It was nice that the sleeping areas were on the outside of the hotel with plenty of sound deadening in between.

The only noises I heard were the sounds of TDIs out in the parking lot. Interesting how the exhaust noise penetrates the windows so easily... no worries though, didn't bother me one bit!