Wife is buying a 2010 JSW soon!

CheesyRider

TDI
2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI
I placed an order for a 2010 JSW last July, but ended up canceling my order for a variety of reasons. I purchased a Jet Ski and didn't want to deal with the hitch scraping on the driveway. I realized that with all my short trips and how few miles I put on each year a diesel really didn't make sense for me. Also, I was a bit freaked out by the stories of problems people were having. I ended up getting a 2010 Subaru Outback.

The Outback has no Fahrvergnügen whatsoever. Every time I saw a JSW I felt sick about not getting one. Luckily, I hardly ever see them.

Last month, my wife decided she wanted to replace her 2005 Mazda 3. She decided on a JSW! Not only did she decide to get a JSW, but she even plans to get the same color I almost got. I love having a wife with the same taste in cars as me. The diesel makes way more sense for her as she drives about 65 miles per day. The best thing is that in the evenings and on the weekends I'll be able to drive her car.

I have a feeling the Outback is going to spend a lot of time sitting the the garage. I'm toying with the idea of ditching the Outback and getting a Tiguan, but the manual trans is only available in fwd and the cargo space is kind of small.

Tomorrow we are going to the dealer to make a deal. The salesperson says he wont have any trouble locating a white gold JSW with a manual trans, beige interior, and a sunroof. I hope he's right, because it would be torture to have to order one and wait for it to be delivered.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Good luck with it. Great cars when all is well!

chemeng1661

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
Marcb said:
Yikes, seeing all of these HPFP warnings is scary. Problem is, I already own a JSW!!! I hope I am "lucky"...
Me too. I have almost 11,000 miles on my 2009. I will have owned the vehicle a year this Saturday. So far no mechanical issues (I am knocking on wood :) )

flylow2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 White Gold JSW TDI 6M (build date 23Feb10)
Cheesy Rider said:
Tomorrow we are going to the dealer to make a deal. The salesperson says he wont have any trouble locating a white gold JSW with a manual trans, beige interior, and a sunroof. I hope he's right, because it would be torture to have to order one and wait for it to be delivered.
You are right about it being torture to wait. I ordered towards the end of January and I have about 2 more weeks to wait. I ordered exactly what you want minus the sunroof. I don't want that even if it was free.

I am going with the thought the problems are not that common and hoping for the best. It seems there are enough sour grapes with some vindictiveness thrown in around here. I can understand that for those who have had bad experiences. I hope I do not become one of them.

Krfar

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 CandyWhite JSW TDI DSG, NAV & Pano
Outback

Cheesy Rider said:
I placed an order for a 2010 JSW last July, but ended up canceling my order for a variety of reasons. I purchased a Jet Ski and didn't want to deal with the hitch scraping on the driveway. I realized that with all my short trips and how few miles I put on each year a diesel really didn't make sense for me. Also, I was a bit freaked out by the stories of problems people were having. I ended up getting a 2010 Subaru Outback.

The Outback has no Fahrvergnügen whatsoever. Every time I saw a JSW I felt sick about not getting one. Luckily, I hardly ever see them.

Last month, my wife decided she wanted to replace her 2005 Mazda 3. She decided on a JSW! Not only did she decide to get a JSW, but she even plans to get the same color I almost got. I love having a wife with the same taste in cars as me. The diesel makes way more sense for her as she drives about 65 miles per day. The best thing is that in the evenings and on the weekends I'll be able to drive her car.

I have a feeling the Outback is going to spend a lot of time sitting the the garage. I'm toying with the idea of ditching the Outback and getting a Tiguan, but the manual trans is only available in fwd and the cargo space is kind of small.

This is very strange. I just traded in my 2005 Outback LLBean for 2010 JSW TDI. I think I had a lemon based on the number of problems I had with it. Luckily I agreed to purchase the Outback only if the dealer would throw-in the extended warranty and boy did that pay off. I had a 2010 model two weeks ago while the car was being repaired one last time before I sold it and it seemed like they had made some improvements but I didn't drive it long enough to figure out what kind of MPG I was getting. I hope they addressed that as much as possible. I never got better than 13.5 MPG in the city and 21.3 Hwy. The needle is barley under 1/2 on the JSW and I have 316 miles on the first tank so far. I know the Outback was AWD but 220 miles per tank sucked. It also had very week break system. My wife has been driving VW and Audis for over 12 years and she did not like driving the Subi because she though she could not stop the car. I know the 2010 felt much better in that department as well. I think the right dealership makes the difference, if you can find a reputable dealer you are good to go. I have had six e-mails and three phone calls from the dealership since I bought the car. They have me pre scheduled for Aug to take car in for the first free service. My wife has purchased three VWs and Audi from this dealer and she is very happy. Happy driving....

CheesyRider

TDI
Krfar said:
I had a 2010 model two weeks ago while the car was being repaired one last time before I sold it and it seemed like they had made some improvements but I didn't drive it long enough to figure out what kind of MPG I was getting. I hope they addressed that as much as possible. I never got better than 13.5 MPG in the city and 21.3 Hwy.
My Outback gets pretty good MPG for an AWD vehicle. The EPA for my 6 speed manual transmission Outback is 19/27, but I usually do a little better. I get about 22 mpg when I do mostly city driving. On a recent trip I got 26 mpg when I drove between 75-80 mph. I was in less of a hurry on the way home and I averaged 33 mpg when I kept it between 60-65 mph.

PaulGiz

Veteran Member
TDI
None any more. My heart couldn't take it.
Well, I traded my 2005 Legacy Wagon 2.5i for the JSW. The Subie was reliable and pretty nice, but the TDI is nicer.

Economy for the subie (5-speed manual) was 25ish overall, 30ish on highway trips. The TDI is still tight and new but I'm getting 42 overall, haven't taken any trips yet.

The Subie's brakes were marginal at best, and I had to install a Euro sway bar just to get rid of the understeer and wallow. But the worst part was the performance. The NA 2.5 always felt slow. The TDI has all the pulling power I need.

Now, no knock on Subaru, it was reliable as gravity. The turbo Subies are very nice, my wife has a WRX wagon that is more fun than a coed tickle party--fast, fun AND reliable, if you don't mind 22mpg (way less if you like to DRIVE).

P.

CheesyRider

TDI
We made a deal on a 2010 SportWagen today. The dealer located a car and should have it in about two weeks. It had a couple more goodies than we planned on getting, but we were pleased with the deal we were able to work out. :D

Here's what we're getting:
white gold
beige interior
manual transmission
sunroof
rear side airbags
splash guards
Porto 17" wheels

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
Cheesy Rider said:
We made a deal on a 2010 SportWagen today. The dealer located a car and should have it in about two weeks. It had a couple more goodies than we planned on getting, but we were pleased with the deal we were able to work out. :D

Here's what we're getting:
white gold
beige interior
manual transmission
sunroof
rear side airbags
splash guards
Porto 17" wheels
what did you end up paying? We were just offered the same thing for 32k TTL.

CheesyRider

TDI
We'll be paying MSRP with free splash guards and slightly better than KBB for our trade. It turns out our car will not have the 17" wheels, but we didn't really want to pay extra for them anyways. Our car should be here in 4-6 days!

CheesyRider

TDI
:DWe just picked up the car! It had the 17" wheels after all, but I don't mind as they look better in person than in the photos I had seen. I'll post pics in the photo section of this forum soon:D