Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Price and spread vs RUG vary here, so it pays to research. One station near O'Hare had an 8 cent spread (2.99/3.07) while down the street from my house it's 22 cents (3.07/3.29)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I can't seem to figure out where they get their prices from.

For example, I'm the only regular contributor to gasbuddy for my town, but the automotive.com site gets a lot more prices… and most of them are wrong. The ones that are right tend to be the stations I post on gasbuddy. They also leave out a majority of the independent stations, where prices may be cheaper or they may carry B5-B20 biodiesel.

I'd love to know their source(s) because the 'broader picture' is only useful if it's accurate. Not that gasbuddy.com is any better. It's not unusual for me to post prices, then go through town an hour later and they're all different. Sometimes I think the stations by the interstate change their prices just because *I* post them online, lol.
I have a hard time ever finding the prices that are listed on just about any site. Seems when I need fuel, the listed prices must be a few days out of date. I can understand that part but what really ticks me off is when these sites list a station with a good diesel price only to get there and find out that that station has no diesel pumps. :mad: Really frustrating when I've been running at 0 miles to empty for the last ten to fifteen miles, maybe more.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Diesel seems to be pretty stubbornly stuck at $3.09-3.19 around here, but RUG seems to have fallen a bit. I'm seeing most places at $2.70-2.79 for RUG.

boutmuet

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 BMW 328d
:)

One can only wonder exactly how many gallons that station sells with their D2 priced like that.

There are three stations listed in Needles California that have D2 priced at $3.899.
Shell, Chevron and even Valero. Smith's charges only $2.939. Wonder if it's any good? :confused:

I was wondering 'cause I will be in that area next Monday and Tuesday.
In nearby Bullhead City, Arizona, Chevron D2 is more reasonable at
only $3.159 with a cut-rate station there charging only $2.939.

'Course, if I were careful, I could make the entire R/T from Murrieta CA to
Las Vegas NV to Laughlin NV/Bullhead City Az and back home on one tank.
No, on second thought, who wants to cruise along at only 60 mph? :(

I will fill up in Las Vegas and that'll get me down to the river and back home with fuel to spare.

:D

D
I think we discussed it before, I always fill up in Arizona before crossing over to California to get some cheap d2

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Filled up at the local Raceway tonight for $2.93/gal.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Never Forget

Yes, diesel prices are creeping up for winter. But so what... when it is at its worst, the difference between cost of operating gasser versus oil burner will always be an eye opener. :D

Example from recent prices:
gasser
30mpg vehicle paying $2.60/gallon = 8.7 cents per mile
diesel
37mpg vehicle paying $3.00/gallon = 8.1 cents per mile

And the difference is bigger than that in most cases: Compare average Golf 2.5l gasser versus even the new CR 2.0 L TDI figures, and the difference is way over 10 percent...no kidding (people are getting mid to HIGH 40s routinely).

Be happy:D

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
time to fill your tanks

Wherever you live, you should probably fill up wherever you see a good price even if you still have half a tank. Crude oil futures are up $4 this week, gasoline up about 10 cents/gallon, and heating oil about 12 cents/gallon. And those prices are from levels that were already pretty high.

The dollar is tanking, as the Federal Reserve reveals plans to print $600 billion in new money for no good reason. All commodity indices are making new highs on a daily basis, so you should also stock up on sugar, flour, cereal, frozen meat, coffee, and all other basic commodities that are not too perishable. A couple years ago, many Americans were stocking up on rice, buying 50 and 100 pound bags of rice. Rice futures are up 45% just since July of this year.

Anyway, top up your fuel tanks. And if you can lock in fuel prices for heating your home this winter, then you should not wait.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
It's happening here, now. Diesel is up 0-4¢ over the last three days, but overnight RUG is up 10+¢. Diesel will not stay (relatively) low for long. I may try to top up if given the opportunity.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Filled up yesterday at the BP by my house. It was still at $3.09, but I've seen some other stations that were already at $3.19.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I paid $2.849 for D2 and $2.519 for RUG on Wed night in Fort Mill SC . It was $2.889 for D2 and $2.589 for RUG just over the NC line in Fort Mill SC last night , it went up as I was pulling into the station last night .

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Shell had D2 at $2.93 on the way to work today and $2.99 on the way back. The Lukoil, Sunoco and BP right by there already had D2 at $3.07.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Was driving around, today, and saw D2 ranging from $3.15 up to $3.25 at some stations. What was more shocking was that RUG had spiked to $2.95 at many stations in the area. Makes me more glad that I drive the car I do. :D

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
3.19 today in the burbs of Chicago, paid 3.15 last weekend. Gas was 3.11 closer to home. Considering I got about 43.5 MPG in mixed driving today, and had it up to 90 a couple times on the freeway so I can't complain.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Holding steady @ $3.499 in Blaine, WA.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Saw prices from $2.979-3.049 in central Iowa today. Topped up with premium ULSD for $3.029 -- I have a feeling it could be a long time before we see prices as low as they are right now.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
Does anyone else find a psychological trigger at the $3 mark? It's something about seeing diesel prices breaking the $2.999 mark to be very saddening.

In other words, I shake my head at $2.999, but it makes me feel downright depressed when I see $3.009. It's only 1 measly penny a gallon but something about that "3" on the sign just make me feel, I dunno… pinched.

What's all the more strange is it wasn't too many years ago I was feeling the same way about prices breaking the $2/gal. barrier. :eek:

Going back on topic, prices in my town are among the lowest in the region. D2 ranges from $2.899 to $3.169 depending on which city the station's in. I topped up yesterday for $2.899 at a Shell that was still changing over from BP branding. Down here in Baldwin County, Alabama, all but one BP has converted to Shell stations, most like due to the fallout from the oil spill.

lghf

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta GL
Does anyone else find a psychological trigger at the $3 mark? It's something about seeing diesel prices breaking the $2.999 mark to be very saddening.

In other words, I shake my head at $2.999, but it makes me feel downright depressed when I see $3.009. It's only 1 measly penny a gallon but something about that "3" on the sign just make me feel, I dunno… pinched. ...
I feel glad when d2 is below $3 as locally d2 has not dropped below $2.979 in the last year.