First impression of a fixed 3.0L TDI Gen 2

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Let's assume hypothetically that I wish to revert to stock code on a 2015 or 2016. Would that not be feasible given (per my understanding), that in these two models years we're dealing only with a software change by VAG (so no hardware/sensor or adaptation changes)?
Secondly, and just to be clear, your saying that your power gains post tune are similar or the same on a emision fixed 3.0L tdi vs. a virgin 3.0L.?
Yes, but we don't really want fingers pointing at us saying "hey these guys are just reversing your work anyway" We offer performance tunes typically, not work arounds, so you're welcome to bump the vehicle past stock output but we won't specifically put the old file back on it. Also keep in mind this would be detectable by the dealership and isn't legal for road use.

Peak power is likely only changed slightly, if at all, on the post fix touaregs. I've dyno tested the ea288s before/after emissions updates and the power was identical. Without doing the test on the same day, on the same dyno, any data there is worthless. Yes the vehicles will feel different driving down the road, but how they perform at WOT will be similar. We run a dynapack so would have to stop operations and go use a linked awd dyno for a couple weeks to test this, and then a year + for reliability testing if we wanted to push the envelop. Unfortunately that isn't in the cards given our work load and we'd rather just do data logging on the road in a real world environment then compare to what our existing customers are working with. Reliability is more important to us than a power number, it should be a low priority for touareg owners too, but you can always tow a race car to the track.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Got my fixed Q5 back. The engine sound is noticeably louder. Surprisingly, the engine RPM does NOT run much higher than pre-fix at all speeds, if at all.

Driving wise, the car is not at the sweetest spots, not as smooth as pre-fix yet. Maybe a little less power. What an awesome ride the car was before the fix! But for $9500 I'd say I'll take it.

Oh, those poorly fixed Q7s..................

Last edited:

MonkeyWrench

TDI
2012 JSW TDi
Like Bird, I used to post much more. I poked my head in here today looking for updates about my wife's Q5. Today I drove my Touareg X for the third time post fix. I drive a long stretch of road at 5 am with no traffic. Pre-fix I would see instant consumption similar to the 45 mph I am driving. Post fix I am mid 30's.
I have been adamant about a buy-back. Let VW resell the cars if they can fix them and market them. The notion of a SW fix has always seemed silly, if the problem was that simple, we wouldn't be here today. I have cashed the $10k of checks from Bosch and VW. I actually was a member of the class represented by Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP. I knew more about the settlement reading here than I learned from them.
I believe we were not made whole by the settlement, and I believe $10k does not cover the depreciation of my vehicle due to the dieselgate scandal. I do not believe most new car dealers will touch a VW diesel as part of a trade-in deal. Especially the less common 3L models.
I'm shopping for a replacement for my beloved 09 gen 1 jetta, I'm here reading this thread because gen 2 vehicles are available on the VW lots - the irony - they're not fixed. They want you to test drive and buy the car pre-fix. That makes me suspicious. "Let VW resell the cars if they can fix them and market them" ...hmmm

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Got my fixed Q5 back. The engine sound is noticeably louder. Surprisingly, the engine RPM does NOT run much higher than pre-fix at all speeds, if at all.

Driving wise, the car is not at the sweetest spots, not as smooth as pre-fix yet. Maybe a little less power. What an awesome ride the car was before the fix! But for $9500 I'd say I'll take it.

Oh, those poorly fixed Q7s..................
I’m supposed to get mine back today. I sent an email to my tuner to ask if it’s safe to reinstall the tune, but haven’t received a reply. I removed the tune last week anticipating taking it in for the repair and I really missed the added power this past week. I highly recommend a tune. The new Q5 I’m driving as a loaner is nice, but the handling isn’t the same and I’m hating the arm rest on the driver door.

TouaregCryer

TDI
2013 Touareg Lux
I fully agree. If VW could've produced a diesel that was competitive as to price and quality AND turned a profit AND complied with emission standards, they'd have done so from the beginning.

They couldn't do that, so they cheated. To me, that's been painfully obvious right along. Equally obvious is that VW would do whatever's necessary to avoid a mass buy-back of all affected models. So it's no surprise to me to read of the numerous problems reported here by those with "fixed" vehicles.

I won't report my "fixed" Touareg's problems here, but maybe I'm lucky. I'm one of those "drive it 'til it drops" people, so sale and trade-in values are meaningless. That is, UNLESS the "fixed" car "drops" before its time... whatever that is.

And why should I expect otherwise? I'm been rambling around this ol' planet for 76 years, and one lesson I've learned is to never trust ANYONE in the car business. Cars are always a crap shoot for anyone but the profoundly committed enthusiast. This VW scam (and very likely the "fix" as well) is just another example of that. Worse than most, though.

TouaregCryer

TDI
2013 Touareg Lux
A lot of heat here, from all "sides"! Bottom line, though (from this perch), is that some of us were put into an awkward position. Choosing the buy-back option with the restitution certainly put one ahead of the game (financially) versus suddenly deciding to sell or trade the car in the current market *prior* to the exposure of the cheat.

But really, how many folks would that apply to? (A: not many.)

For many of the rest of us, we had a very tough decision to make once the cheat was exposed. (1) We could choose the buy-back option + penalties, or (2) we could hope VW would either (a) fail to find a good fix, thus maintaining the buy-back option, or (b) find a good fix (and take the buy-back option off the table.)

The key word being "good" fix.

For me, that's where it got really tough. Problem being: I love the car! After moving back to "the city" and realizing my Chevy 3500 "country" truck was, um, less than desirable in town, I spent 3 months doing my research in accordance with my own parameters. Of the dozens of vehicles I checked out, the VW Touareg filled the bill, hands down. A bit pricey, perhaps, but after checking all those "I Want & Need" boxes... no contest.

But now this. I didn't want to do the buy-back when it was still available because I wanted to keep the car! So I trusted VW to come up with a solid fix. (Actually, I never really trusted them - recent history considered - but I hoped for the best.)

I'll stop here, but I hope to have made the impression that the decisions were by no means cut and dried for those who LIKE the car.

(Disclaimer: I'm one of those "drive it 'til it drops" folks, however that fits in to the terminology here :- )

TouaregCryer

TDI
2013 Touareg Lux
Well said, and those were indeed the options. My only mild "waidaminnid" is that your option (2) depends somewhat on ordinary folks who buy a car because they like it for whatever personal reasons. That is, *not* enthusiasts or people who can tell a manifold from a mudrake. (Have I already used that metaphor today?)

That would be me. Just a driver.

Then this. It's outside of my experience, and the decisions were *hard*. The "Yeah, but what if?"s were many, considering that the manufacturer had already shown his backside, in the honesty department, big time.

FWIW, I love the car for the same reasons I bought it and consequently went for the fix. So far, not bad... although I had to take it back in after the fix due to several alarming episodes of "lurching". As for the restitutions, they were just "money from home" and not part of my decision-making process.

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
I have no idea what these last 3 posts mean or how they pertain to initial impressions of a fixed 3.0 gen 2. He's way out there like the dude from Oklahoma who I blocked.

FixedTouareg

TDI
2015 Touareg
Lol. I think he was just working through the first few steps in the VW 12 step process. I've been reading this forum for almost two years now, and most people went through the steps where Cryer is.... disbelief, mistrust, frustration, acceptance, etc.... about a year ago. He is late to the game, Justin a different emotional stage of the "VW emissions scandal = screw your customers" at the moment.

Cryer--- did that low mileage 4.5 year old fuel filter change help your treg?

Mine still seems to be running very nicely.... still wondering what the heck changed with these vehicles between the 2014 and 2015 to where mine didnt get any parts seems to run great, while the older ones had parts thrown at them and may or may not be sputtering.

i don't understand that stupid little booklet about DEF consumption,
"2015 vehicles may experience an increase of 40% on average, while model year 2016 May on average experience a decrease"

Seems like the VW 3.0 was a "work in progress engine" getting tinkered with each subsequent model year. Wonder if there are different part numbers of critical or non critical engine, emissions parts between 2014 vs 2015 vs 2016.

Maybe the older engines have more broken in trannies used to shifting a certain way and more gunked up EGR's not sufficiently feeding the higher dose of recirculated exhaust and the computer is trying to balance the fuel, air, and exhaust gas equation and having problems.... wish a vw engineer would spill the beans on the "what and why" of this mess.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
My wife reported the same thing with her Q7 this am (fix was done on Friday). Anyone know what would be causing this?
Did you try the settings for the central vents? Mine did not blow wind, either, but the service manager reset it for me and it worked after easy play around.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Happy to hear that. Please update us after 500 miles or so with mileage results too.
I tested driving the 2015 A8L for 40 miles on the highway yesterday. The cluster showed a solid 40.1mpg when I got off. There is no difference in this regard compared to pre-fix. I ran the car in low speed though, 60-70 mph most of the time. Temperature was good. In the 60s.

TouaregCryer

TDI
2013 Touareg Lux
(This is intended for FixedTouareg, two or three posts above.)

Thanks for your patience :- ) That row of 3 previous posts were a function of being unfamiliar with how this board works. That is, I thought I was replying to specific posts, but was in fact shotgunning the entire board. (Ten years ago I'd have been *terribly* embarrassed; but now? Not so much. I'm an old codger and have earned the *right* to brain f*rts and "senior moments :- )

(I did like your "stages of loss" metaphor, by the way. I think I've achieved "acceptance", but remain just a tad short of "understanding" :- )

As to the second go at a fix (a retry due to the lurching problem) and the fuel filter change-out, so far so good. No lurching or stalls. At cold start, the motor sounds a bit louder than before, but nothing to write home about. Shifting is smooth and consistently within optimum rpm range, except that it seems to want just a bit more - maybe another 200 rpms -between 3rd and 4th.

Some of the "spunk" is gone, sad to say. I'm not a lead foot, but do miss the punch I used to have. There's an expressway entry ramp I routinely use, and with the "pre-fix" Treg I'd typically have to back off a touch at the top of the ramp to match speeds and merge. During four entries over the past few days, it's gone the other way... having to run a quarter the length of the merge lane to finally match speeds. But even so, the cars behind me on the ramp "got small" pretty quickly in my rearview.

Just for chuckles I tried the Sport mode for a while, shifting up at around 3,000-3,500 rpms. I don't use the Sport mode typically, so don't know if it's unusual for a subtle low-pitched whine - or maybe "moan" - to develop above 3,000 rpms, but I'm not going to worry about that unless someone tells me to. She downshifted nicely in Sport mode through a chicane near where I live.

I'm as perplexed as you are about the variety of reported experiences here. My only complaints were the brief (but scary) stalls - three or four instances of that, especially scary when turning left across incoming traffic - and of course the lurching after the first fix effort. They may come back, or they may not, so I can't say (yet) whether the fuel filter change-out has had any effect. But I thank you again for the suggestion. The symptoms were *exactly* as I'd experienced with my Chevy 3500, and I really don't expect a recurrence of the lurching problem.

So if those problems don't come back and all else continues as is, let me sum it up this way:

Back in 2013 I spent 3 months searching the market for a vehicle to replace my diesel truck, and settled on the Touareg for a variety of reasons, none of them having anything to do with running rallies or gymkhanas. The power and smooth operation of the Treg was just a pleasant surprise added on to all the other features that eliminated the competition.

I can comfortably say that if the car continues on as it is now, I'd happily buy it again. Now, let's hope this shows up in its intended place!

Last edited:

TouaregCryer

TDI
2013 Touareg Lux
Those three posts were misplaced due to a misunderstanding of how replies work on this board. In the context of the posts to which they responded, they made sense (at least I'm pretty sure they did ;-)

And really, if you'll browse through this extended thread you'll see a great many departures from the theme of "first impressions". My misplaced posts were in response to some of them. That's all.

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
I tested driving the 2015 A8L for 40 miles on the highway yesterday. The cluster showed a solid 40.1mpg when I got off. There is no difference in this regard compared to pre-fix. I ran the car in low speed though, 60-70 mph most of the time. Temperature was good. In the 60s.

Thank you. That sounds very encouraging.

dyehead

TDI
2013 Q7 Prestige
(This is intended for FixedTouareg, two or three posts above.)

Thanks for your patience :- ) That row of 3 previous posts were a function of being unfamiliar with how this board works. That is, I thought I was replying to specific posts, but was in fact shotgunning the entire board. (Ten years ago I'd have been *terribly* embarrassed; but now? Not so much. I'm an old codger and have earned the *right* to brain f*rts and "senior moments :- )

(I did like your "stages of loss" metaphor, by the way. I think I've achieved "acceptance", but remain just a tad short of "understanding" :- )

As to the second go at a fix (a retry due to the lurching problem) and the fuel filter change-out, so far so good. No lurching or stalls. At cold start, the motor sounds a bit louder than before, but nothing to write home about. Shifting is smooth and consistently within optimum rpm range, except that it seems to want just a bit more - maybe another 200 rpms -between 3rd and 4th.

Some of the "spunk" is gone, sad to say. I'm not a lead foot, but do miss the punch I used to have. There's an expressway entry ramp I routinely use, and with the "pre-fix" Treg I'd typically have to back off a touch at the top of the ramp to match speeds and merge. During four entries over the past few days, it's gone the other way... having to run a quarter the length of the merge lane to finally match speeds. But even so, the cars behind me on the ramp "got small" pretty quickly in my rearview.

Just for chuckles I tried the Sport mode for a while, shifting up at around 3,000-3,500 rpms. I don't use the Sport mode typically, so don't know if it's unusual for a subtle low-pitched whine - or maybe "moan" - to develop above 3,000 rpms, but I'm not going to worry about that unless someone tells me to. She downshifted nicely in Sport mode through a chicane near where I live.

I'm as perplexed as you are about the variety of reported experiences here. My only complaints were the brief (but scary) stalls - three or four instances of that, especially scary when turning left across incoming traffic - and of course the lurching after the first fix effort. They may come back, or they may not, so I can't say (yet) whether the fuel filter change-out has had any effect. But I thank you again for the suggestion. The symptoms were *exactly* as I'd experienced with my Chevy 3500, and I really don't expect a recurrence of the lurching problem.

So if those problems don't come back and all else continues as is, let me sum it up this way:

Back in 2013 I spent 3 months searching the market for a vehicle to replace my diesel truck, and settled on the Touareg for a variety of reasons, none of them having anything to do with running rallies or gymkhanas. The power and smooth operation of the Treg was just a pleasant surprise added on to all the other features that eliminated the competition.

I can comfortably say that if the car continues on as it is now, I'd happily buy it again. Now, let's hope this shows up in its intended place!

Your "lurching" is exactly what I was describing, only I used the word "hesitation". It was hesitation, into lurching. This is what I described, cutting across traffic becomes a frightening endeavor. I'm waiting until more people have gotten the fix to see if I'm the only one, as Audi doesn't seem to care about the lone customer. I've been in discussions with the lawyers as well, and their advice is to take it back to the Audi dealer, wait until more people have reported problems, or find someone with an untouched Q7 to do side-by-side testing with recordings, monitoring the system, etc etc (a seemingly impossible request) all on my own dime.

I'm also only on my 2nd tank of gas (They filled up for me last time) so I haven't been able to report my MPG yet - but I may be filling up today. The OBC is reporting 18MPG combined but as others have stated it's hardly reliable. I've been driving without the A/C on most of the time (as it's cooled down here in CA) and have done about 50/50 city/highway. Been trying to drive it very conservatively too, to be fair to folks who feel manufactuer estimated MPG is based off of driving very cautiously.

Will report back later.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Mine stays in 7th gear at speeds where it used to be in 8th gear.
Do you have the paddle shifters? I heard you can go into 8th in this situation and it will hold it. Just wondering. I haven’t had mine done yet.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Do you have the paddle shifters? I heard you can go into 8th in this situation and it will hold it. Just wondering. I haven’t had mine done yet.
I do have the steering wheel paddle shifters. If I switch gears it does stay until I change speed. I’m not sure if they changed the transmission tune or just the engine. The service advisor didn’t give me a copy of the paperwork.

dyehead

TDI
2013 Q7 Prestige
413 miles on the tank, 22.86 gallons to fill up.

18.066 combined MPG.

I have before and after photos of mileage counters as well as a gas station receipt for the doubters.

Wondering if I should bring this up now or wait for another tank to get some kind of average.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
413 miles on the tank, 22.86 gallons to fill up.
18.066 combined MPG.
I have before and after photos of mileage counters as well as a gas station receipt for the doubters.
Wondering if I should bring this up now or wait for another tank to get some kind of average.
I’d open a case with Audi of America.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
The Q5 is supposed to go down by 1 mpg, so I'm not surprised the Q7 goes down a bit more. The car is programmed to run at higher rpm when cold to get emissions components up to operating temps more quickly. Higher rpms would be expected to result in more fuel consumption. My Q5 has not been modified and in D mode it certainly runs at low rpms. It'll be interesting to see the rpms post mods. Interestingly, the 2016 Q5s are predicted to use less DEF after the mods.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Had my 2014 A7 Prestige repaired over the weekend. The first battle was with the service guy who told me that they would only put in $40 worth of fuel. I told him that I expected a full tank when I picked it up. He showed me the invoice that showed they would only be reimbursed for $40 worth of fuel. I showed him the flyer that said my vehicle would be returned with a full tank of adblue AND fuel. I was expecting a confrontation when I picked it up, but nope, it was full.

Driving impressions seemed the same, but I have only put 600 miles on the car myself. Found out it had a year of Audi-care remaining so had the 35K mile service done, including replacing the batter in the FOB. Car was returned clean and as should be expected from a high end dealership. Now to sell it!

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
My wife’s car had half a tank when I took it in. The service advisor told me to bring it back when it’s near empty to have it filled up.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
My wife’s car had half a tank when I took it in. The service advisor told me to bring it back when it’s near empty to have it filled up.
Your wife’s car runs the Chipwerke, right? Since you are ahead of me, getting the fix done, maybe post your observations (once you’ve had a chance to assess) on how the Chipwerke works with the fix. Thanks.