98 bettle tdi - discontinued l/r door latch assemblies

03ALHWagon

TDI
2003 ALH Wagon (sold)
Passenger side can still be gotten with a bit of a delay. The warehouse we would order it from, has one. The driver side has gone obsolete but it seems a dealer in Missouri? (MO) has one.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I thought MT is Montana, and MO is Missouri. Maybe genuine used parts are available?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Just because it is shown on their web site doesn't actually mean they really have it. I ordered a lot of parts for my Beetle. There was one part several showed they had but then cancelled the order as they didn't/couldn't actually get the part. Call them and ask to be sure.

plugger

Veteran Member
TDI
99 jetta TDI,03 JETTA TDI,94 CHEVY 6.5, 99 DODGE CUMMINS 98 Beetle TDI
Have you tried ID Parts? I have bought a driver side one there in recent years.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I've taken apart and fixed a couple 98 Beetle latch assemblies last year. For what it's worth, you can use a later Mk4 latch module in the Beetles, you'll just lose the characteristic loud "ka-chunka" lock motor setup. There's a spring loaded buffer of sorts in the newer modules that makes them quieter and is geared a little different.

One of the 98 modules I saved last year had a contact corroded away completely. So I literally frankensteined a lock assembly together using the circuit board and microswitches from a later lock module and the gears and motor setup from the Beetle.

But realistically, you don't even have to do that. A newer module is plug n play. They're wired the same. Not very complicated devices, really. Just a handful of simple microswitches and a motor assembly.

TDI
2015 Porsche Cayenne diesel, 2005 Audi allroad 6spd, 2007 WCM ultralite (super 7)
thats what i was hoping to do. i ave had issues in the past trying to mix and match. ive had assemblies come in and the pins or plug did not match. just wanted a 100% fit. so if i get the set from a 2002 beetle im good?