Discounted TDI oil locator thread

ThatBruceGuy

TDI
2015 GSW DSG
For the Candian folks out there.
The Canadian Tire is selling Mobil 1 ESP for 28.99 CAD
Just print out the pages using an Alexandria or Kingston location to get the discount and they'll price match at your local store.

ThomasCo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
All,

I purchased 5 qt of the Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30, which I understand to be VW 507.00 approved. However, it doesn't state so on the bottles, only ACEA C3. Is this still safe to use for my JSW with CJAA?

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
All,

I purchased 5 qt of the Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30, which I understand to be VW 507.00 approved. However, it doesn't state so on the bottles, only ACEA C3. Is this still safe to use for my JSW with CJAA?
Yes according to this:

ThomasCo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Thanks! I got the last 5 bottles at my local Napa for $6.99 each and a $10 prepaid card from Mobil for a total of $4.99 per bottle. Living in CO, I do feel a little more confident with the 0W-30 given that we already had single digits here last week. Plus the Toyota dealer where I bought my 2010 JSW put some Valvoline 5W-40 in there, which is not 507.00 approved. Double peace of mind for a small price!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Mobil Delvac and Mobil Turbo Diesel Truck Rebates

Delvac 1 ESP: $11 Visa prepaid card per gallon, limit 4 rebates per household
Turbo Diesel Truck" $10 Visa prepaid card per gallon, limit 4 rebates per household

The 2021 Spring Mobil Delvac™ Rebate Program is limited to purchases made at participating retailers listed below and excludes online purchases at Amazon.com. Purchase Eligible Product(s) in the product size(s) listed below between March 1, 2021 and May 31, 2021.

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/promotions/cvl-spring-rebate-2021

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
Napa has Mobil 1 Delvac ESP 5w40 on sale for $19.99/gal. Napa is on the approved retailer list for the Mobil $11 rebate above ^^^ as well. Price after rebate is $9 a gallon, which is the cheapest I’ve gotten it since 2015. I’ve used this stuff in all my diesels, even ones requiring 507 and Dexos 2 as I believe it’s the highest quality diesel oil available from a major manufacturer.

Napa rewards will give you an extra $5 off for every $100 you spend.

vdubnick

TDI
2014 passat SEL
Napa has Mobil 1 Delvac ESP 5w40 on sale for $19.99/gal. Napa is on the approved retailer list for the Mobil $11 rebate above ^^^ as well. Price after rebate is $9 a gallon, which is the cheapest I’ve gotten it since 2015. I’ve used this stuff in all my diesels, even ones requiring 507 and Dexos 2 as I believe it’s the highest quality diesel oil available from a major manufacturer.
why dont they list any VW spec as meeting or exceeding (i get not being certified) but you would think they would list it if it is same/better than?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
why dont they list any VW spec as meeting or exceeding (i get not being certified) but you would think they would list it if it is same/better than?
Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 meets the API CK-4 spec, and for ALH TDIs that is just fine. For those with PD engines, while API specs never appeared in owner's manuals, many folks have been using the API-spec 5w40s since roughly 2006 with no apparent negative consequences.

Motor oils like Delvac, M1 Turbo Diesel Truck, and Shell Rotella T do a good job of protecting engines. It's seems, however, that they can be harmful to diesel particulate filters (DPFs). So if your common-rail TDI still has all its emissions equipment then you probably shouldn't use API-spec motor oils.

OkamiTech

TDI
2000 Jetta
Type: Engine Oil | Oil Filter | Air filter or cabin filter
Product Name: Valvoline(they gave me STP EURO Full Syn) motor oil package deal; 5qt jug of oil, STP oil filter, STP air filter or cabin filter
Price: $37 is what I paid for my set
Source: Autozone
Valid Until: 6/1/2021 - 6/28/2021

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
Napa has Delvac ESP 5w40 on sale again. $19.99-20.99 a gallon. $20.99 here in CA. No rebates but still a good deal

Ford Guy

TDI
2006 Jetta 4dr
Has anyone else noticed the new FRAM oil at Advance Auto Parts? Apparently Advance has purchased the FRAM name and its first oil offerings are getting pretty rave reviews from what I have seen. Is it a value oil? Or just a really good oil that is new to the market and a good deal in order to get a fan base, I dont know which. Anyway, I bought a 5 quart jug just to try it and have not yet changed it with this oil, but im wondering if anyone else has seen it or tried it?

Its only available in 5w-40, but seems most peeps use that weight, so maybe its all they need? The full synthetic shows 505.01 and I think 505.00 as well and maybe a few others. There are currently some deals that get you a free oil filter with it for like 25 dollars for a 5 quart jug and a filter, so that might be the cheapest Full Synthetic oil change you can do for a 505.01 TDI.

--------------------
Type:
Engine Oil
Product Name: FRAM Full Synthetic European
Price: $23 (USD)
Source: Advanced Auto Parts https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...quart-f935-5qt/12260452-P?searchTerm=fram oil
Location: Nationwide, search store availability on above webpage
Valid Until: Date, otherwise "Unknown"
--------------------

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
It's not made by AAP. Also does not have a PDS or any information posted on the website which is a red flag. It says it's Dexos 2, If the licensing number is on the bottle you can probably figure out who actually is making it. AAP buys licensing rights to names (Like their DieHard batteries)

It's likely the same as all the other house brand euro 5w40 oils like: Amazon Basics, Kirkland, Mag 1, Supertech, etc...

Most of these above are blended and packaged by Warren Distrubution.

Has anyone else noticed the new FRAM oil at Advance Auto Parts? Apparently Advance has purchased the FRAM name and its first oil offerings are getting pretty rave reviews from what I have seen. Is it a value oil? Or just a really good oil that is new to the market and a good deal in order to get a fan base, I dont know which. Anyway, I bought a 5 quart jug just to try it and have not yet changed it with this oil, but im wondering if anyone else has seen it or tried it?

Its only available in 5w-40, but seems most peeps use that weight, so maybe its all they need? The full synthetic shows 505.01 and I think 505.00 as well and maybe a few others. There are currently some deals that get you a free oil filter with it for like 25 dollars for a 5 quart jug and a filter, so that might be the cheapest Full Synthetic oil change you can do for a 505.01 TDI.

--------------------
Type:
Engine Oil
Product Name: FRAM Full Synthetic European
Price: $23 (USD)
Source: Advanced Auto Parts https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/fram-full-synthetic-5w40-euro-motor-oil-5-quart-f935-5qt/12260452-P?searchTerm=fram oil
Location: Nationwide, search store availability on above webpage
Valid Until: Date, otherwise "Unknown"
--------------------

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
that might be the cheapest Full Synthetic oil change you can do for a 505.01 TDI.
You should probably add some ZDDP to this oil, get a little more zinc for camshaft protection.