About to pass 200K: How to celebrate?

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
I'm closing in on 200,000 miles and I'm considering doing something nice for my car. Like a nice upgrade or something.

-or-

Just go out with the wife for some dinner and adult beverages.

-or-

Perhaps save the money and deposit into a new car fund.

What have you guys done in the past?

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf TDI, '10 TDI Cup Jetta
How old are your injector nozzles? Maybe a small upgrade disguised as scheduled maintenance?

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
Pfffft... these owners and their "mid-life" celebrations. :D

How about a combination of things? Do a small upgrade of some kind, add some numbers to the rear of your car (see below), but be sure to have enough money left over to take the wife out to dinner. Otherwise, you'll be sleeping with your Jetta in the garage. :p

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Congradulations !! On 200,000 miles and also 350,000 and above !! Squirrel away some "maintenance" monies, for those things that will inevitably go south.

For as much as oem's increase the costs across the board (by yearly inflation at the very least) and down grade both the reliability and durability, it makes all the sense in the world to keep what you have in fine shape and motor on to 300,000, 400,000, 500,000 to 1.2 M.

I am projecting, as those are my goals and bias's. All the best.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Damn shame. If you had an American car, you could celebrate by taking it to the scrap yard, if you hadn't already.:D

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Chrome letters are nice. I just passed 400,000km and I like Ruking's idea.

Pizzaman sells chrome emblems to match VW: http://needasticker.com/custom-emblems.htm

Here is another example of the matching emblems Pizzaman sells: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=239186&page=4

The way I celebrated when I hit 400,000km (248548 mi) was to replace the shocks and struts, replace front and rear brake pads, replace glove box, replace timing belt, and change the oil, which took up about 5 weekends between 396k km and 404 k km. :D (did all of the work my self except for help with timing belt)

Congrats!

p.s. also 4 new tires. :cool: And washed her outside and vacuumed her inside.

p.p.s also replaced VNT actuator. :p

Should be good for another 160,000km (100km mi)

Like oilhammer said, celebrate by driving another 200,000 mi.

I plan on celebrating at 500,000km (half milllion km) by either buying a new car (Mazda2 or Honda Fit at the top of my list right now) or by buying another timing belt kit for the Golf in preparation for 556,000 when she is due for her next timing belt!

Congratulations on 200k mi.

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, yeah, yeah, Jason quit your braggin' :)

I do plan on getting up there to see you for a timing belt sometime soon, she's just about do.

I already have a TDI maintenance fund squirreled away and factored into the budget.

Thanks for the ideas.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Had I bought a Jetta 2.0 gasser, I would be either fed up with it, or it would be dead by now.
You must not take good care of them then, the VAG gas engines are very durable. And the SOHC 2.0L engines are simpler than the TDIs, and are lower PM to boot. They just eat more food. :p

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Had I bought a Jetta 2.0 gasser, I would be either fed up with it, or it would be dead by now.
The ABAs were pretty much bulletproof, were as the AEGs did sludge up pretty easily..................

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The AEGs burn oil, but so long as you know how to use a dipstick, it is not really a problem (just an annoyance).

The later AVH, AZG, BEV, etc. don't seem to be as problematic on oil burning as the AEG was.

The AEG can be fixed with a set of rings, FWIW.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
All is new again with the MK6.....

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I'm closing in on 200,000 miles and I'm considering doing something nice for my car. ...
What have you guys done in the past?
Let's see... I installed PP520 nozzles, and shortly after a stronger clutch and flywheel. I had the brake fluid flushed and new gearbox fluid.

Within 20k miles afterward: new tires all around, a new windshield, and a new RocketChip tune.

Shortly after that, some Recaro seats.

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
You must not take good care of them then, the VAG gas engines are very durable. And the SOHC 2.0L engines are simpler than the TDIs, and are lower PM to boot. They just eat more food. :p
No, jasonTDI takes pretty good care of my car. Basically, what I'm saying is that I would not put up with a ten-year old car if it weren't a TDI. I can afford a new car, and I've been eyeballing the Sportwagens, but I just really like my Jetta.