Steering wheel traversing after tie rod installed

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 97 F-150 XLT 4x4, 99.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6/5M
Changed the inner and outer tie rod on the drivers side yesterday. Now Im feeling the steering wheel move by itself back and forth a little while going down the road. I know it could use an alignment now, but it didnt do this before I changed the tie rod. I counted the threads to the outer tie rod nut from the old tie rod and set accordingly. I assume the setting I did has the caster out too much? The car drives straight otherwise. the steering wheel is about 5 degrees to the right of top center now as opposed to 5 degrees to the left as before. Before I changed the t-rod felt a slight shimmy and the tire did have some movement when shakeing at 9 and 3 oclock, but that went away with rod installed, but now it traverses/pulses back and forth a little,,very little, but not the result Id hoped for after the t/rod replacement. As best I can tell the rack boots are fitted properly,,they were a real hassle to get on to say the least.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Before the tie rod replacement, you had excess endplay that allowed the tire to shimmy without that lateral motion being transferred to the rack and hence the steering wheel (i.e., the lateral movement stayed within the freeplay limits of the tie rod). You would feel the shimmy in the seat-of-the-pants but not the steering wheel (or, at least you would feel it less in the wheel than you do now).

Now that endplay has been removed, that movement is being transferred directly to the rack & steering wheel. You just need to have the tires balanced or wheel lateral runout corrected.

B4s are very sensitive to wheel/tire runout balance issues. Have the tires checked by a shop that uses the Hunter GSP9700 machine (many do).

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 97 F-150 XLT 4x4, 99.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6/5M
Thanks Chris., that all makes perfect sense. She needs tires soon so will have the alighnment done then. I was worried the rack was going! I might adjust the lateral in a little and see if that helps for now.