Anyone still have their TDI's?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The irony here is, as always, less stuff means better durability. All the BRM and early CBEA/CJAA A5 Jettas' interiors, the seat coverings (leatherette or leather) all show their age. The base model Jetta and the Rabbits' cloth interiors wear like iron, their basic radios never seem to fail, and their steel wheels are much tougher.
We (IDParts) were just talking about whether or not consumers (and dealers) are going to tire of the tech in new cars and lobby manufacturers to make more base versions again. Doubtful, but we can dream.

My Wagon is one of the few I've seen with crank windows and manual mirrors. Everything works 17 years later. When I bought it the build sheet said it didn't have cruise control. I was disappointed until I got the car. It does, of course.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
My 1982 Vanagon's windows and locks work perfectly, too. :p

The consumers want the stuff, and then they whine when it breaks see it every day. Including today. Some guy in hyper crisis mode because the slushbox in his Grand Cherokee died.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Slushbox is one thing. I wonder about proximity detectors, accident avoidance warnings, 306 degree cameras, mood interior lighting, tablets built into armrests (Audi A8), soft close doors, and, of course, various versions of autopilot. Oh, and adaptive suspensions.

I don't even want electric parking brakes. That other stuff? No way.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
We (IDParts) were just talking about whether or not consumers (and dealers) are going to tire of the tech in new cars and lobby manufacturers to make more base versions again. Doubtful, but we can dream.

My Wagon is one of the few I've seen with crank windows and manual mirrors. Everything works 17 years later. When I bought it the build sheet said it didn't have cruise control. I was disappointed until I got the car. It does, of course.
Totally off topic but can't that be said of almost all consumer goods and products. I have been around a while, what happened to the basic starter home? Contractors tried but they didn't sell. So now we have complex homes with cameras in the doorbell that can be accessed with our expensive unnecessary iPhones. Look at what a pickup truck evolved into..the family grocery getter for 50k or more. America the land of excess and waste, and excuses for why we as Americans need such tech or their lives would not be fulfilled in today's high tech modern world. Till it breaks and cost Mucho Denaro to repair or replace.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
True for a lot of modern home tech, but I would struggle without a smartphone. I use it for everything. And one of the best things I did to my home was adding Nest thermostats last year, which I can also control from...my phone. Some tech is good. But a home or my pocket is a far less hostile environment than the exterior of a car. I can't imagine these items will wear well, in any climate.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
True for a lot of modern home tech, but I would struggle without a smartphone. I use it for everything. And one of the best things I did to my home was adding Nest thermostats last year, which I can also control from...my phone. Some tech is good. But a home or my pocket is a far less hostile environment than the exterior of a car. I can't imagine these items will wear well, in any climate.
It is really strange that I was able to reach 65 years of life without all that tech that you need a smartphone to control yet here I am. I lived with and drove many cars with crank windows too. I have never felt that my life was in any way compromised by not owning a smartphone or power windows in a car. You should try it sometime just ditch the smartphone and you will see that life goes on just fine, maybe a little finer than it is now.

PS your home will wear our too and so will your pocket. Both fiscally and financially unless you maintain, repair or replace.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Of course you can live without a smartphone. But I'd prefer keeping mine instead of the tech features on cars. One example is that navigation programs on phones are usually superior to what's available on cars, and much less expensive.

There are other automotive features I'm happy to live without. ESP, for one. AWD is another. And I don't mind driving the one car I have without ABS. Those are pretty basic features these days, but I get along without them. My '93 Mercedes has ABS. And airbags. I could skip those, too.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
My Garmin for 75 bucks a few years ago still works fine........lifetime upgrades. But it doesn't control my thermostat, I do.

I have a cheapy flip phone that costs me 38 bucks a month and I can talk to anybody I want any time and anywhere, what do you pay for your smartphone from the original purchase to your monthly bill? As I said I have been living just fine without all that tech expense. I like you would like to purchase a reliable fuel efficient car without all the tech whistles and bells but because most Americans feel that that junk is important (like you and your smartphone) it will never sell.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
My job requires I provide my own smartphone for business and I choose to also carry a second one for my personal life so I can totally disconnect from work when I’m not on the clock. My phone with the Waze app connects quickly and easily to either android auto or apple car play depending on which one I connect and boom now I’m using on screen navigation in my rental that’s much better than a Garmin with lifetime updates.

I can also use the phone while driving legally in every state while tethered to the car, for phone calls, emails, and texts using voice commands.

I have a Garmin by the way with lifetime updates that they discontinued support and updates on this year.

Different lifestyles and careers require different technology and I can respect you not having need for a smartphone. I spend 2 days every week in the air and every week driving rentals in different cities and I appreciate the technology in the cars allowing me to work while en route to my client sites.

My next car will have heated and cooled seats, smartphone integration, heated steering wheel, 4 wheel drive, and remote start as minimum requirements.

Heck, my John Deere X534 has power disc brake, power steering, tilt, cruise control, locking rear axle, fluid drive transaxle, front and rear steer, 2 can beer storage in the fender, and provision for a face cooler fan right on the instrument cluster and it’s 10 years old.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
The irony here is, as always, less stuff means better durability. All the BRM and early CBEA/CJAA A5 Jettas' interiors, the seat coverings (leatherette or leather) all show their age. The base model Jetta and the Rabbits' cloth interiors wear like iron, their basic radios never seem to fail, and their steel wheels are much tougher.
love how the 2dr golfs all seem to be manual A/C, manual windows, manual seats, manual mirrors, there just isn't anything to break on the car

too bad they're getting rare, only two doors on craigslist around here any more are GTIs

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It would be significantly more difficult--if not impossible--for me to do my job well without a smartphone. Emails, banking, communicating with co-workers, tracking tasks, monitoring social media...and that's just work. Paying for products, staying in touch with my kids on WhatsApp, appointment reminders, managing investment accounts, and of course the more prosaic tasks like navigation, airline and hotel reservations, texting, scheduling classes, ordering lunch and coffee (and paying for it), wake up calls, the list is endless. I no longer wear a watch or carry a wallet because of my phone's capabilities.

My 335d has power windows and heated seats and steering wheel. I don't like the seat heaters, but the steering wheel is nice. But I purposely found one without navigation. I drove an '18 328d last fall, thinking I should get a new one before they go away for good, but the heads-up display, cameras, lane avoidance, automatic stop start, and other features were too much for me. And I love being able to put stuff on my Wagon's passenger seat without the seat belt reminder going off.

[486], I had a 2-door Golf for a while. Loved it. My Wagon has the same features (or lack thereof). Nothing breaks.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
My job requires I provide my own smartphone for business and I choose to also carry a second one for my personal life so I can totally disconnect from work when I’m not on the clock. My phone with the Waze app connects quickly and easily to either android auto or apple car play depending on which one I connect and boom now I’m using on screen navigation in my rental that’s much better than a Garmin with lifetime updates.

I can also use the phone while driving legally in every state while tethered to the car, for phone calls, emails, and texts using voice commands.

I have a Garmin by the way with lifetime updates that they discontinued support and updates on this year.

Different lifestyles and careers require different technology and I can respect you not having the need for a smartphone. I spend 2 days every week in the air and every week driving rentals in different cities and I appreciate the technology in the cars allowing me to work while en route to my client sites.

My next car will have heated and cooled seats, smartphone integration, heated steering wheel, 4 wheel drive, and remote start as minimum requirements.

Heck, my John Deere X534 has power disc brake, power steering, tilt, cruise control, locking rear axle, fluid drive transaxle, front and rear steer, 2 can beer storage in the fender, and provision for a face cooler fan right on the instrument cluster and it’s 10 years old.
This is exactly my point when people here talk about the late great ALH car. It has become obsolete tech in 2019 but according to many they can live without today's tech in cars but cannot live without the same tech in their pocket.

Sleep Tight all. nuff said.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
My 1982 Vanagon's windows and locks work perfectly, too.
You know, I really don't get this "power windows/locks are unreliable" business, that's not been my experience.

My '92 Cherokee (the regular XJ type) has 3 of its original power window mechanisms still working after nearly 30 years. The only one that died was the LF door one, and that was $100 for the part and maybe 2 hours' work to replace it (would have been one hour if I hadn't had to whizz-wheel the rivets off holding it on the door so I could put the new one in with bolts). The others are still working, though the RF one seems to need some lube shot into it, it's starting to get a little slow in places.

As for the TDI? Heck, I never even got the "recall" done, I'm still on the ORIGINAL plastic clips, and all four windows still operate flawlessly. Of course, I've got the sense not to even touch the the window buttons if there's even the slightest chance the windows are frozen, I wait until the car's been generating heat for long enough to ensure they're melted.
Same for the locks on both cars - a little lube now and then, and they all still working.

Am I that much of an anomaly that I simply haven't had much in the way of issues with these?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
As for the TDI? Heck, I never even got the "recall" done, I'm still on the ORIGINAL plastic clips, and all four windows still operate flawlessly. Of course, I've got the sense not to even touch the the window buttons if there's even the slightest chance the windows are frozen, I wait until the car's been generating heat for long enough to ensure they're melted.
heh
mine survived until my car was rolling down a hill with the window partially open and the door closed
those window clips didn't stand a chance against 150lbs of bony kid diving through the window to yank the E brake
kinda glad they broke actually, as the window glass was just fine.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
heh
mine survived until my car was rolling down a hill with the window partially open and the door closed
those window clips didn't stand a chance against 150lbs of bony kid diving through the window to yank the E brake
kinda glad they broke actually, as the window glass was just fine.
How many people do you know that this happened to, why was a boney kid like you chasing a car down a hill with no one in the driver's seat. Doesn't sound too smart to me. Well, it's your story, not mine as I never had an encounter like that. :D

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
one better, it was going out the garage door, exact same one someone got smashed to death in when they started a chrysler that was in gear reaching through the window

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Still have my 01 golf that i bought new that got me in this mess lol..... still have my 98 lifted beetle.... still have my 04 jetta daily driver...... still have my alh swapped 81 rabbit pickup, and still have a spare alh engine and trans.

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
You know, I really don't get this "power windows/locks are unreliable" business, that's not been my experience.
My '92 Cherokee (the regular XJ type) has 3 of its original power window mechanisms still working after nearly 30 years. The only one that died was the LF door one, and that was $100 for the part and maybe 2 hours' work to replace it (would have been one hour if I hadn't had to whizz-wheel the rivets off holding it on the door so I could put the new one in with bolts). The others are still working, though the RF one seems to need some lube shot into it, it's starting to get a little slow in places.
Same for the locks on both cars - a little lube now and then, and they all still working.
Am I that much of an anomaly that I simply haven't had much in the way of issues with these?
4 cars in the parking lot right now here at work with "Dent Puller" Suction cups holding at least 1 windows up.
(the $13 fix till you can afford the repairs)

Best tip i got off the internet.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Well, I recently said good-bye to the Beetle that I've had for the last dozen years. The transmission went out, and I just didn't have the time to put into replacing it. A young, Romanian gentleman purchased it as a project car, and I really hope he gets it back on the road, again. It was a bit bittersweet to see it go, but sometimes you just have to let go.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I still have my Mine. 2006 Jetta TDI with DSG
13 Years old, 209K, But I have been shopping around. I need something with a little more space in the back seat for my three kdis.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Still have my 2015 Jetta SEL TDI loaded stick car that I bought new from Chris Farnham a month before he died and 5 months brfore Diesel gate hit…they paid me 8K to keep and gave me a long warranty….no brainer

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
My Son has the 2000 Jetta I started with (388k miles)
I have my Brother's 2003 with 277k miles (engine is out of his 01 that was totaled in a T-bone)
I have my 84 Vanagon with the 02 Jetta engine that come from MrGutWrench's car
I have two junk yard Jettas (01 with 152k broken TB & 02 with 267k) both are automatics.

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
speaking of manual crank windows, my 11 year old grandson got in my 2008 Dodge Ram truck (with a very "spartan" interior), and he proceeds to ask, "Grandpa what are these for?" - referring to the window crank handles - I had to laugh, but then realized these kids have not seen anything like that before.