1-1-2018 Ho5G GTG

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Wish I could have come. I wanted to tackle FrostHeater install in the Mk7, but I got an email from Terry Frost that mine accidentally shipped with a short hose and he’s rushing me a replacement but it didn’t get here in time.

Have fun everyone! I haven’t been to Ho5G in about ten years, but it was a lot of fun.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Wish I could have come. I wanted to tackle FrostHeater install in the Mk7, but I got an email from Terry Frost that mine accidentally shipped with a short hose and he’s rushing me a replacement but it didn’t get here in time.

Have fun everyone! I haven’t been to Ho5G in about ten years, but it was a lot of fun.
You can still come up even if you don’t have car work to do. ;)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
We are here now... good drive, very little traffic. It’s COLD, but that’s okay. Serves me right for saying I was tired of warm weather. ;)

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Going up a steep hill I sputtered and stalled out. There were no other symptoms or warnings. A brief hot electrical smell after stalling out. Got towed to a warm safe place. Swapped a used 109 to no avail, it cranks strong, no start. Fuel is flowing, some bubbles in clear line but I’d been driving for 2 hours when it died. I added extra stanadyne before tow to have it slosh around. I’m very sorry to miss the ho5g!

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
It was a downright balmy 4F (-15C) this morning, compared to yesterday morning's -4F (-20C). The gear shifting was a little bit better this morning with the other gear oil in, but still not my ideal. Whether the shifting was easier because of the 'heat wave', or a marginally thinner viscosity of this new oil, I can't say yet. There is a definite, slight, improvement, but I don't know if it is enough to satisfy me.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
We are here now... good drive, very little traffic. It’s COLD, but that’s okay. Serves me right for saying I was tired of warm weather. ;)
Lawson - please don't say anything weather related for the approaching Detroit Auto Show weekend GTG event! :p

Seriously - on this side of Michigan I-94 gets bad in winter at times. There was a 40+ car pile up on this past Sunday afternoon:

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2017/12/multiple_pileups_close_part_of.html

Indiana Toll Road also had a 18-vehicle pile up on same afternoon. I live in NW indiana but thankfully US 20 and IN 2 are my commuting roads!

Glad to hear everyone had a good time at the Ho5G 2018 edition despite the cold! :cool:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Michigan gets a lot of snow. Despite this, Michigan drivers run into each other and go off road more than just about anywhere I've driven. Some say it's because of the lack of safety inspection so cars with lousy tires are driving in the snow. But my experience is that a lot of drivers don't show basic common sense for low traction and low visibility driving.

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
Happy New Year everyone. We'll be heading back to cold NE from FL tomorrow. The plan is to be behind the coastal storm. Looks like even Georgia could get 6" of snow.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Michigan gets a lot of snow. Despite this, Michigan drivers run into each other and go off road more than just about anywhere I've driven. Some say it's because of the lack of safety inspection so cars with lousy tires are driving in the snow. But my experience is that a lot of drivers don't show basic common sense for low traction and low visibility driving.
I blame the lack of safety inspections. We see similar things with vehicles in Maryland... lots of broken down vehicles littering the sides of highways.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Peter and Julie, thank you for hosting us again! It was nice to catch up with everyone and we all had a good time even though the weather was pretty bitter. The wood stove in the garage got it up to 60F on Sunday... warm enough to walk around in a t-shirt for a while. :cool:

We'll see many of you in Detroit soon! :)

Happy 2018!

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I blame the lack of safety inspections. We see similar things with vehicles in Maryland... lots of broken down vehicles littering the sides of highways.
Truth. For a state that taxes people to death and tri s to regulate every facet of people’s lives, somehow they missed the boat on cars.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
To all attendees.... another great gtg. It is so gratifying to see and bring in the new year with TDI friends.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Peter and Julie, thanks for hosting yet another time. On the drive up I was trying to remember when I went to my first GTG at Ho5G. I do recall that it's where I met Dan Simoes the first time when he was running TDIParts. And that was after I had Jeff tune IBW for the first time, which I believe was in '04 or '05. That was a funny evening: I kept taking people for rides in my Wagon and they all got their cars tuned after the ride.

I had a great time. Thanks again.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Sad I was only able to hang out with TDI friends new and old for a couple of hours.... It was great to see people working on their cars, noshing on ribs-n-things, and meeting Nicole’s new addition to the TDI family!

Hope everyone is safe and warm, as we await over a foot of the white stuff today! Lucky we had only the bitter cold on New Years!

Thank you Peter and Julie! :cool: