Need advice

Crs25081

TDI
B7?
For the past two months I've been doing a lot of research and I decided a b7 tdi was the vehicle for me. I found a 2012 I really like but my concern is it has 86000 miles on it. I'm having a really hard time finding any info on what to look out for or be aware of with higher mileage tdis and dsg transmissons. If anyone can help shed some light on these I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Chris.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
First, a quick model lesson. A B7 Passat is what is available throughout the world, except for North America and China. We get what is referred to as the NMS Passat. On first glance they look the same, but are in fact quite different cars.

Lesson over :p

For the NMS Passat, there are issues with AdBlue tank heaters, clogged heater cores, and of course failing high pressure fuel pumps (HPFP) that takes out the entire fuel system on failure. If your state mandates a small percentage (at least 2%) of BioDiesel mixed with diesel at the pump, the odds of a HPFP failure goes down (but not eliminated). I should also mention that mis-fuelling the car with gasoline is a probable cause of failure for some of them. :eek:

Now, don't think that the odds are high for these issues happening. Some people are well over 100,000 miles with no issues. However, you asked.

The fact that this car has reached almost 90,000 miles is good, as long as scheduled service has been documented. For example, the DSG requires service every 40,000 miles, so it should have been done twice by now. Brake fluid should have been flushed, and of course the normal items (oil and filter changes).

Just as an FYI, in case your research overlooked it. The 2015 Passat, while still sporting the same body, has a completely different engine than the 2012-14 versions. There's no guarantee the HPFP issue is resolved, but the failure rate has dropped tremendously over the past few years (the problem goes back to 2009 with the first common rail engines in the Jetta and Golf). There's only been a tiny handful of 2015 pump failures.

If the car has been well maintained, I personally wouldn't have an issue with it, if the price is fair. Make sure you have all the records, and look through them thoroughly. Have fun! :D

Crs25081

TDI
B7?
Thanks for the thoughts and wisdom. Are the problems with the hpfp happening at higher miles typically? You said it takes out the whole system, injectors, fuel rail, lines? Sounds really expensive. Where would I find out about fuel additives required for states? I'm in virginia.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I did a quick search and couldn't find anything about Virginia, but didn't spend too much time trying. I did find a mention that in 2009 the governor proposed a 2% requirement (what we have in WA) but I don't know if it was enacted. Since I may move there within the next few years, I should probably find out :) .

The HPFP failures have happened with mileage all over the place. However, it does seem that the higher the mileage the less likely to happen. My daughter's 09 Jetta was mis-fueled once and after a flush it's been fine since. That was at least 4 years ago, so there's nothing you can do that either guarantees longevity or failure. And yes, it could be very expensive if it takes out everything. Again, the overall failure rate is well under 1%, so don't fixate on that. I consider it far more important that the car in question has been well maintained and documented.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I've not done an extensive search recently, but I don't believe the HPFP has a failure rate in the NMS that is significant enough to worry about.
(not so for the piezo injected TDIs)

Yes, the AdBlue systems have been troublesome, as well as turbo failures, which may be reduced with the VWoA software update..

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
A software change to the computer. No one really knows what it did, but think it had something to do with lowering temps slightly in the exhaust among other things. Nothing to really be concerned about.

Turbos have an extended warranty on them now to 10 years or 120k miles IIRC

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
Also, some of the 2012 TDIs have recently received an extended warranty coverage on the HPFP. Presumably those receiving the warranty are those with the older pumps that had the higher failure rates, but I don't know much about it since mine is a 2013 (no extended coverage for me, but also not a big problem with that model year).

For a 2012 with 86k miles, the prior owner probably spent a lot of time on the highway (you can ask to be sure--hopefully he wasn't a full-time Uber driver or something like that). Highway miles are very easy miles, so probably the car is "younger" than the miles alone would indicate. I don't think you have anything major to worry about, more than with any other used car. It's always worth getting a used car checked out by a trusted mechanic before plunking down a lot of cash, but if the price is good and no major issues are found/apparent, I'd say go for it.

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
Mine has just over 76k miles now and the only issue sustained was the AdBlue Heater/0202A Code.

I just put on my 3rd. Set of tires (Broke convention and went with Nokian eTyer); use a K&N Air box Filter; and Power Service (Gray).

I have been hounded seven times by my dealer; three times from other VW Dealers, and twice from VWNA to sell/trade my "Highly Desirable" Black/Black/6SpM. The local dealer just offered me $2k over KBB Trade in value.

ABSOLUTELY NO- THEY CAN'T GET MY #1 (After Sex) Stress Reliever. This car is awesome!

'12 Passat TDI 6SpM
Pre '65 HD's Rule

New England

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I have a 2012 that was bought in early October 2011. It was the first TDI that was sold at my dealer. It turned over 73k this week and has had the adblue heater fail a couple thousand miles ago. Other than that, it has been a perfect car. I do all my maintenance and have serviced it by the book. As previous others have said, if you can get documentation that it has been serviced properly and it is a decent price I wouldn't have a problem... Also be aware that with 86k miles, some expensive service is looming around the horizon (mainly timing belt at 120-130k) so something to consider if you plan to drive a lot in a short time...