Clean and solid 1997 VW Passat TDI with lots of new parts

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Spoke with him for a while tonight--out of my price range, but seems like he's done a lot to it. My main concern was the fire (looks like it's been taken care of, so probably a non issue) as well as the use of conventional oil.
Since I sold my old A3 for $5,700 with a salvage title it'll be interesting to see how the market reacts. To the right person this should be a great car--especially since it comes from the coveted rust free Northwest! ;)! Oh--and it's not British Racing Green... :p
Good luck with the sale!
-BB

eskimocounselor

TDI
97 Passat TDI
No, it is not green. It is Alpine White. My mechanic said that the 96-97 TDIs take regular 5w-30 oil. Not sure what the previous owner used, but he had his mechanic do it all for him. I am just outside od Portland, OR, by the way.

redmondjp

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan
eskimocounselor said:
No, it is not green. It is Alpine White. My mechanic said that the 96-97 TDIs take regular 5w-30 oil. Not sure what the previous owner used, but he had his mechanic do it all for him. I am just outside od Portland, OR, by the way.
Your mechanic is completely uninformed on the oil on two counts: 1) you can't use 'regular' oil--it has to be diesel-specific (due to the soot produced by a diesel engine), and 2) VW released a TSB back in 1998 (IIRC) mandating the use of ONLY synthetic (diesel-rated) oil in the TDI engines, due to the number of oil-related engine and turbo failures that they were seeing in this country.

The use of the incorrect oil could account for the (premature) turbo replacement. Is there any way for you to find out what oil the previous owner('s mechanic) used? That would be very good information to know, for those here who may consider purchasing this vehicle.

And do you know why the intercooler was replaced? It is normal for some oil to accumulate inside the intercooler (or a lot if the turbo bearing fails), and it can easily be cleaned out. Usually it's a collision or road debris which takes out the intercooler.

Two other questions--does it have the moonroof and/or ABS brakes?

eskimocounselor

TDI
97 Passat TDI
Sounds like I am going to be doing a 5w-40 synthetic oil change this evening. It does have ABS and does have a power moonroof. I currently don't have power to the dome light and moon roof controls. I'm not an electrical genius, but I have been able to get most of everything else to spring back to life.

AMDTDI

TDI
2015 GSW (M)
You may have saved my B4 from the same fire fate. My center console had two 9V batteries, a year's worth of Diesel receipts and plenty of coins just waiting to go up in smoke. I was lucky to read of your experience!

Good luck with the sale.

eskimocounselor

TDI
97 Passat TDI
Yeah, it was interesting to see how the hot spot seemed to be right there in the base of the console and how the guilty objects were encapsulated in a crispy layer of burnt plastic. I have always been a stickler about not having clutter in my vehicles, but am glad the previous owner wasn't so I would have the opportunity to buy and work on this one. I learned a ton about wiring and how the dash parts come apart and go back together. I could dismantle a Passat dash in records time if I needed to. I feel like I really know the car now. I started driving it around town just as soon as I removed the burnt plastic and wires. I just plugged in a GLX cluster and went without a dash or any electronics. I gradually got all of the switches and harnesses plugged back into the fusebox and got things working again. I don't have or know how to use an electric meter or I would have already firured out why there is no power to the dome light and moonroof, but figure someone else out there who is a lot smarter than me can fix it if they want to. The heated seats aren't working either, but I think that might just be the switch. I have a replacement stereo, but just need a harness to wire up and plug in. I have learned how simple it is to replace entire sections of wiring and switches in these cars. I have lots of other spare wires and harnesses that I will throw in if the buyer wants them. This will make an awesome car for someone who isn't scared off by a reconstructed title and wants a comfortable and reliable car that gets 50 mpg and is still fun to drive. I am working out a deal for a TDI cluster right now. That will be the last item I am even concerned about finishing before I sell it. I will be out of town for a few days starting Saturday, but I'll check e-mail and set up times for you to see/drive/buy the Passat. Give me a call or e-mail and we can hook up.

Aaron
503-703-0174
fugeres@juno.com

eskimocounselor

TDI
97 Passat TDI
I will be available to show the Passat starting this Friday 12/22/06. Give me a call if you want to see it. I am in St. Helens, OR. Just 30 minutes out of NW PDX.

$5,900 OBO