Ottawa recommendation for brake replacement?

Foxfan

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I need my rear brakes replaced on an MK6 Golf. Dealer wanted about $500 and I’m looking for something better than OEM as the original Discs scored and rusted so early on but I’ve kept them since the pads wore out at 100k.

Most places i’ve called want to charge me for an inspection before providing a quote.

Can’t they just price the parts and standard length of time it should take? Not trying to diagnose a complex engine issue here...

Where should I go?

Thanks.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Why not do the work yourself and save a bunch of $$$? Rear brakes are usually not that difficult unless something is stuck.
Estimating a brake job without seeing a the car is difficult. If you have components other than the pads and rotors that need replacing then the price goes up. If things break because they are rusty or broken then the price goes up again so there is no point guessing without seen the car first.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Why not do the work yourself and save a bunch of $$$?

Not everyone

1.) Is mechanically adept:confused:
2.) Would rather pays someone else.:)
3.) Such as myself about 4 years ago I did my 2002 Jetta. One wheel per day. After that I swore to myself I'll never do that again, EVER !!!:eek:

jbrill

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Try OttoStadt across the river from Ottawa, I think you'll be pleased. He's a member of TDI club too.
Great recommendation... just not conveniently located at all!

My relationship with Hunt Club VW officially came to a close yesterday. It's clear that they are so busy that providing client service is no longer a priority. It should come back and bite them but who knows.?

I'm now looking for an east end independent. Bytek VW would be more convenient but I have zero confidence in their mechanics (totally fubared what should have been a simple washer pump repair).

Anyone know of a good VW TDI mechanic around the Innes/St-Laurent area?

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
It's brakes... It's not like they're made of some rare metal that only a certified vw tech can change

Just find a decent mechanic... It's really hard to screw up pads and rotors

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
Great recommendation... just not conveniently located at all!

My relationship with Hunt Club VW officially came to a close yesterday. It's clear that they are so busy that providing client service is no longer a priority. It should come back and bite them but who knows.?

I'm now looking for an east end independent. Bytek VW would be more convenient but I have zero confidence in their mechanics (totally fubared what should have been a simple washer pump repair).

Anyone know of a good VW TDI mechanic around the Innes/St-Laurent area?
Advanced Autworks on Bentley Ave (Hunt Club and Merivale) has been the go-to place for Ottawa VWs and VW club cars for years. Highly recommend, and they are worth the drive.

Yes, Bytek has always had a terrible reputation...