Turbo

Matt_

TDI
2004 Jetta 1.9L BEW
Hi. I have a 04 Jetta with the alh motor I got a Malone stage 1 tune and deleted the egr. As the car is older I figure I need to rebuild the turbo. I buddy of mine said that I should upgrade it and might be able to get a bolt on turbo from another tdi that is the upgraded version of mine (Different year, model) and then I could rebuild that one. I’m wondering if anybody on here knows what turbo I could swap into my car and what vehicle I could find it on and if swapping to a “upgraded” turbo will mess anything up with my tune?

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Did you swap out the BEW for an ALH? If not, you probably still have a BEW in the car.

On my ALH, I have a VNT17 and it works very well especially if you are planning upgrades.

I think the BEW will take a VNT17 as well but I could be wrong. There are always parts on Craigslist if you are looking for used items. There are several vendors on this site that can sell you new turbos and all the parts needed to successfully swap your turbo.

For example, I sold my perfectly functioning used VNT15 for $100 a few years ago. It is still going strong in the other car.

What makes you think the turbo is needing a rebuild? Lots of oil in your intercooler? Excessive smoke? Noise from the impeller hitting the housing? Poor performance from the actuator or low boost?

Matt_

TDI
2004 Jetta 1.9L BEW
The car still has the bew and stock turbo. That car has high km on it and I don’t know if the turbo has ever been rebuilt plus it wouldn’t hurt to freshen it up a bit since it’s easy enough to do