Real world MPG - DSG

RoadRunnerTR21

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/sunroof
Since there is a different thread referencing MPG with the manual transmission, I thought I'd start a thread for the DSG transmission. Tell us what you are getting. Hand calculated numbers are preferred.

RoadRunnerTR21

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry I missed it. My bad. The mods can delete the thread. On that thread there seems to be posts on the Golf, Jetta and such. It also looks like a huge debate over manual versus DSG. I see very little "just Passat DSG MPG" info. Just sayin...

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I wish the MOD would also change the title of the thread to "2012 Passat TDI Real World MPG with DSG"...there have been several posts from other vehicle owners, which just isn't all that valuable, as the DSG in the 2012 Passat has very different characteristics compared to previous DSGs.

RoadRunnerTR21

Veteran Member
TDI
I wish the MOD would also change the title of the thread to "2012 Passat TDI Real World MPG with DSG"...there have been several posts from other vehicle owners, which just isn't all that valuable, as the DSG in the 2012 Passat has very different characteristics compared to previous DSGs.
Agree.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Either way still looks like the DSG looses to the 6MT. 6MT FTW!

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
5700 miles, over 40 mpg average so far. I will keep my DSG it is good enough for me. I got the same average over 50k on my 6mt jetta so I am happy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eprater1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI w/DSG(transmission failed w/800 miles on it) 2012 Passat SE w/Sunroof -65k traded in on 2013 Passat TDI SE w/Sunroof 2006 Ford F350 on 37's, few things deleted, little methanol injection, few things modded, few more filters added :)
Just knocked down 49.7 on a trip sound TN AL GA and SC

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
What's different? Thinking about adding to the fleet as my wife is now looking at changing vehicles.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
2009 JSW DSG: (OE Mechatronic replaced at 17k, under warranty, for harsh shifts)
Razor sharp shifting, more direct feel in the drivetrain, engine always feels directly linked, engine braking on downhill very strong...this DSG is so connected that I'm STILL looking for the clutch pedal when slowing to a stop. First gear starts in D have very little "rubber band" feel, quicker engagement. MPG...probably 34 mpg average over 50k miles...loads of (gasp!) cold-start suburban runs. Best highway tank was 47mpg...flat I95 to FL, through SC,GA,FL.

2012 Passat TDI DSG: Did they slip a torque convertor into this thing? First gear starts are like a CVT...clutch feels like it slips more, almost feels like a 2nd gear start, even in S or Tip. After it's rolling, I can't hear nor feel gear changes. They feel much more leisurely than the 09, but if I watch the tach, they appear to be just as quick. Downhill rolling? It gains momentum quickly, rolls easily, almost NO engine braking, unless I go to trip, or stab the brake. (yes, this is designed into the newer DSG) If VWoA was trying to hit the "Amuhrican" market for a soft, smooth, dumbed-down driving experience, they've succeeded. Actually, we both quite like it, as we're in our mid-50s and appreciate the more "mature" ride...especially since I've still got the JSW to bop around in. Only 2 tanks, 36mpg, with very little no hwy. Appears to be considerably higher than the JSW.

I look forward to comments from others, comparing the 2 versions, as I know there's even a good bit of variability between "identical" models.

I still think the mod should try to combine these 2 threads...we don't need both!

Last edited: