Real World MPG - 6 speed Manual

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
Tires?
Hankook are shot, time to replace them.
I am trying to decide between Michelin Premiers A/S or Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus.
Looking for a smoother and quieter ride but maintain my MPG.
What do you all think?

I'm at 119,500 miles. New, mine came with Conti's. Over the next 70k miles I replaced them one at a time do to various side wall blow outs /screws. When it was time to do a complete replacement I did my own research and ended up with a set of Nokian EnTyers. At 700 AA Ratings plus a Low-Roll Resistant Tire I risked the biscuit and just loved them. The mpg are slightly better than the Conti's. I rotate them every 9k-10k miles- same as my oil change. I caught a nail in one and replaced it with Nokian's latest iteration the EnTyer 2.0- Also, I purchased these on the internet through eBay. New the Nokians ran about $70 ea. With no Tax. Shipping was included. The new 2.0 cost me $114 out the door at a retailer for the one replacement.

The Nokians are so much more quiet than the Conti's. They are superb in both wet & dry conditions. Good in Nee England Snow too. Their side wall isn't as rigid as the Contis thus the handling is only off a small bit. Subsequently-

I put a set of 2.0's on my son's Audi Avant and wife's Subaru. Honestly, I needed to get the biggest bang for the buck and the Nokians work for me

2012 B7 TDI 6SpM

Bob u

TDI
Passat TDI SE 6M
I'm at 119,500 miles. New, mine came with Conti's. Over the next 70k miles I replaced them one at a time do to various side wall blow outs /screws. When it was time to do a complete replacement I did my own research and ended up with a set of Nokian EnTyers. At 700 AA Ratings plus a Low-Roll Resistant Tire I risked the biscuit and just loved them. The mpg are slightly better than the Conti's. I rotate them every 9k-10k miles- same as my oil change. I caught a nail in one and replaced it with Nokian's latest iteration the EnTyer 2.0- Also, I purchased these on the internet through eBay. New the Nokians ran about $70 ea. With no Tax. Shipping was included. The new 2.0 cost me $114 out the door at a retailer for the one replacement.

The Nokians are so much more quiet than the Conti's. They are superb in both wet & dry conditions. Good in Nee England Snow too. Their side wall isn't as rigid as the Contis thus the handling is only off a small bit. Subsequently-

I put a set of 2.0's on my son's Audi Avant and wife's Subaru. Honestly, I needed to get the biggest bang for the buck and the Nokians work for me

2012 B7 TDI 6SpM
Thanks

Flyboy777

TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI W DSG
Block heater

Let me start by saying this is not "real world mpg", but it is possible on a bone stock 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M.

I filled up at a Sinclair in Idaho Falls, ID - with winter blended diesel of all things. This trip included two overnight stops in Layton, UT and St. George, UT, and two stops at job sites lasting throughout a normal workday, so a total of four stops long enough to allow the engine to cool completely. As most of you probably know, driving non-stop through an entire tank would net better results as fuel efficiency is much greater at operating temperature than any other time. My route was I-15 south through Salt Lake City and Vegas, then Highway 58 to Bakersfield, CA and eventually Wasco, CA - which means this tank was, overall, >4000' downhill. I was also driving with cruise at 60mph except for a few short stints up to 70-75mph where 60mph would have been unsafe because traffic was moving so much faster.

I usually drive at much more reasonable speeds, but knew from past experience that this was going to be a perfect opportunity to squeeze 1000 miles out of a tank.

Edit: Just for reference, my MFI calculated MPG was 60.0 for this tank. That margin of optimistic error is perfectly in line with what I see out of this car.

The vw manual says something like 25 or 30 km to warm up on a really cold day. I noticed when I got the car that on a really snapping cold day it would take 20+ km to be at 90 c coolant temp. When I started plugging it in that would drop to say 6km on that same cold day .... I get heat right away and better mileage and less engine wear. It is worth it to plug that car in below 0c. I have it on a timer that comes on 4 hrs befor I drive it.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I totally believe that. It was a cool morning a while ago, drove the '15 to work that morning. 41*F. At the time it was its 2nd tank if fuel, and 482 miles on the odometer...

Started engine. After 30 seconds I set heat to max, blower on highest setting, recirculation off, and I began driving. Light footed 55mph country roads, taking my sweet time.

21 miles later the dash needle slowly creeped its way and finally settled on 200, where it usually sits.

Must be good on fuel, need to burn fuel to make heat....

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
I'm at 121k miles and the engine just purrs. I will admit that I've been using AMSOIL Diesel Treatment. About 4-5oz per tank fuel. With my usual highway/local mileage ratio about 80/20 split I'm easily averaging 44 mpg (Spring-Fall). My last round trip to the mid west was about 1,700 miles. My avg was 51.5 mpg while averaging 70 mph on a big portion. My highest mpg avg was 56mpg crushing at 55mph on a four lane country back road

pkforbes87

TDI
2013 Passat 6M
Tires?
Hankook are shot, time to replace them.
I am trying to decide between Michelin Premiers A/S or Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus.
Looking for a smoother and quieter ride but maintain my MPG.
What do you all think?
I got 116,399 miles out of these Michelin Defenders on my 2013 Passat SE 6M. Could have been more, but alignment got knocked out of whack and I didn't realize it until I saw the tire wear.

Lifetime average of 46.42mpg with this car. (204,505 miles total currently)

I'm not sure if other tires offer considerably better fuel economy, but tires lasting >100k may save even more in the long run than 1 or 2 mpg.

As for comparison to the factory Hankooks, I'm not sure. They were noisy and didn't inspire confidence in the rain so I got rid of them ASAP.

Last edited:

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
I got 116,399 miles out of these Michelin Defenders on my 2013 Passat SE 6M. Could have been more, but alignment got knocked out of whack and I didn't realize it until I saw the tire wear.
Impressive! That's how my original Hankooks look now at 60K. I've been leaning toward the Defenders as replacements and your post sealed the deal for me!

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
35,500 Check-In

My running average has ticked up to 52.9 MPG after 35,500 miles of ownership (60,000 on vehicle).

Having a heck of a time trying to reach 53 MPG.... :)

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
My running average has ticked up to 52.9 MPG after 35,500 miles of ownership (60,000 on vehicle).

Having a heck of a time trying to reach 53 MPG.... :)

I get that on the highway & cruise control set. So, I called my local VW Service to get an update on the Emissions Fix. Next week, Aug 14th is when they will start reworking the older B7's line my '12. I have no realtime feedback of the overall effect in performance & mpg' but even at 10 less in economy, I'll live with. The $5,100 (paid out 2/3 & 1/3 increments) is ok too.

radtech83

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT White
I get that on the highway & cruise control set. So, I called my local VW Service to get an update on the Emissions Fix. Next week, Aug 14th is when they will start reworking the older B7's line my '12. I have no realtime feedback of the overall effect in performance & mpg' but even at 10 less in economy, I'll live with. The $5,100 (paid out 2/3 & 1/3 increments) is ok too.
Is that the mechanical upgrade phase 2 or the phase 1 software update?

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I did a little searching, but I still haven't found the answer to this, so I thought this would be a good place to ask.....

I know all the automatics have gotten approved fixes. Have the manuals been covered under that yet?......

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
No fix yet for the 6Sp Manual! I three in the towel and decided to sell mine back before I lose out on the opportunity. My turn in date is in 1 & 1/2 weeks so I’ve garaged mine. I’ve narrowed down its replacement to either a : MB E250 BlueTec 4MATIC, BMW 535d w/X-Dive, or X5d. When I receive the funds I’ll negotiate the best deal I can. Owning a turbo diesel is like an opioid addiction. I can’t get enough-

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Wow. I wouldn't of thought there's a difference.

Any links or papers explaining the difference of the auto to manuals regarding the fix?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man

Lifetime average of 46.42mpg with this car. (204,505 miles total currently)

I'm not sure if other tires offer considerably better fuel economy, but tires lasting >100k may save even more in the long run than 1 or 2 mpg.

As for comparison to the factory Hankooks, I'm not sure. They were noisy and didn't inspire confidence in the rain so I got rid of them ASAP.

Impressive!

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
Lifetime MPG 26K to 53K is 40.9 mpg. I run highway grades at 80 mph on my weekly commute, so I won’t see those peak highway number some get. I’ve had flat road or slower road tanks over 44 mpg.

radtech83

TDI
2015 Passat @ 96k in the hilly part of SE Indiana on the Ohio line getting those numbers. A daily drive of 60 miles round trip to Cincy. Try to stay at 70-74 MPH with a ratio of 65/35 Hwy/city

Honda trade-in on Passat

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
I just had my longest tank with one of the best MPG; 741 miles on 16.125 gallons, 46 mpg. My overall mileage is low because I hammer the long mountain grades at 80 mph and end up idling a lot with the AC on in the summer when in Phoenix.

Last edited:

thisisjason

TDI
13 Passat TDI SEL
2015 Passat @ 96k in the hilly part of SE Indiana on the Ohio line getting those numbers. A daily drive of 60 miles round trip to Cincy. Try to stay at 70-74 MPH with a ratio of 65/35 Hwy/city

Honda trade-in on Passat
Not too far from me! I also do a 60 mile round trip, but live in NKY and work on east side of Cincy.

I'm only a couple fillups in, but averaging 40.5 MPG in my '13

radtech83

TDI
TDI '15 totaled but I'm not giving up on her

Well, last week I was in a fender bender going 20 mph. Long story short in freezing rain I rear ends someone when they had to make an emergency stop. No structural damage like the frame, engine, axle, etc. but the total repair is $8,400 and the car is valued at $9,500. Until the electrics can go 500 miles between charges I'm sticking with my TDI manual for torque, nice interior (still like new) and 47.9 mpg. THANKS! She has 105,600 miles on her and it will go another 200k easy.

Well, I hope this works out for me but I'm just not that impressed with the new offering (that gets 45+ mpg) to go into debt for another 30+K.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, last week I was in a fender bender going 20 mph. Long story short in freezing rain I rear ends someone when they had to make an emergency stop. No structural damage like the frame, engine, axle, etc. but the total repair is $8,400 and the car is valued at $9,500. Until the electrics can go 500 miles between charges I'm sticking with my TDI manual for torque, nice interior (still like new) and 47.9 mpg. THANKS! She has 105,600 miles on her and it will go another 200k easy.
Well, I hope this works out for me but I'm just not that impressed with the new offering (that gets 45+ mpg) to go into debt for another 30+K.
Usually the insurance totals at 80% of the value, so your numbers are at 88% without any supplementals added to the final bill. I would be prepared for them to total it :mad: You might want to start shopping for another TDI.

HelenaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 2002 Golf GLS, 2001 Jetta GLS, 2002 Golf GLS & Jetta GLS(Parts Store), 2015 Passat 6spd
2015 @ 24K. Kerma tuned. Consistently get 48mpg @ 80mph. Love the 6MT..