Overheating Issues - Any Ideas?

axelseaa

TDI
2005 Passat Wagen TDI
I was coming back today about 2 hours into a 2.5 hour drive, and the engine started over heating. I pulled off to the side, checked all the fluids which looks fine. Let it set for about 15 minutes and then started it back up. The temp jumped right back up after about a minute. Had it towed and trying to figure out the next steps.

Any suggestions? It's a 2005 b5.5 passat with 96k miles on it. Timing belt and water pump were done around 80k.

I did take this picture which doesn't look right, maybe a water pump failure? Thoughts?

http://imgur.com/vc8Lw4Y

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
I gather the engine stopped on you, perhaps with a clunk?

That picture appears to show that the water pump sprocket has broken loose and popped thru the plastic timing belt cover.

Worse than that, since the timing belt is what drives the water pump there's a good chance the timing belt has popped off as well... meaning valves have met pistons. :( There is no place the cam can park that does not leave one or more valves open.

Pulling off the timing belt cover will give you a better look what what's going on.

axelseaa

TDI
2005 Passat Wagen TDI
The engine did not stop on me, I shut it off. I don't recall any clunks. Hoping any major damage was avoided. Will know in the coming days.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Where did the timing belt kit come from and who did the work? Teeth sheared off in way of the displaced water pump sprocket and it looks like there might be enough of them left to have prevented valve/piston contact. The fact that it was running is a good sign. Unless you can positively verify that the crank/cam timing wasn't affected, I would still pull the head, however, to see if there's any evidence of valve contact on the tops of the pistons.

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Check the timing marks and go from there.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
it looks like there might be enough of them left to have prevented valve/piston contact.
Hope you're right, but the drive sprocket is pretty small and that's a lot of missing teeth. :(

As posted above, seeing how everything currently lines up at TDC will tell the tale.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I would put a new timing belt kit and water pump on it, pull the GP's and turn it by hand to see how easy it is to turn. If reasonable, put the GP's back in and fire it up.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I did the work. It was a kit from a known vendor. I will have the car later in the week. It appears it was a failure of the water pump bearings. Until then all speculation is off.

First time I've seem a failure this early in a pump though. Usually make it to 50-60K if they let go.

Have to determine if the BSM caused the damage by jerking the belt hard as it has not been upgraded.

jasonTDI

TDI
I would put a new timing belt kit and water pump on it, pull the GP's and turn it by hand to see how easy it is to turn. If reasonable, put the GP's back in and fire it up.
At a minimum you have to TDC it FIRST and pull the valve cover. Otherwise its a waste of time and effort.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
At a minimum you have to TDC it FIRST and pull the valve cover. Otherwise its a waste of time and effort.
Yes that was implied.

I too have had a name brand pump fail as soon as 30k. Fortunately it was only leaking and did not grenade. Unfortunately stuff happens sometimes that you cannot foresee.

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI
Cars back on the road.

Water pump outer bearing failed. Almost to a complete halt. Caused the geared pulley to shear off the shaft. It was held in place by the metal timing case cover. It ground about half way through it and opened it like a soup can. It caused ALL of the out half of the belt teeth to sheer off and started eating all the inner half. It shredded the serpentine tensioner pulley and inner belt as well. In the end the cam gear was 1/2 a tooth off due to lack of complete tension. There was no interference. Had he restarted it or continued to drive it the results would have been far more expensive.

No charge to him, within the warranty period. My vendor and I are taking it up with the manufacturer.

Last edited:

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Cars back on the road.

Water pump outer bearing failed. Almost to a complete halt. Caused the geared pulley to shear off the shaft. It was held in place by the metal timing case cover. It ground about half way through it and opened it like a soup can. It caused ALL of the out half of the belt teeth to sheer off and started eating all the inner half. it shredded the serpentine tensioner pullet and inner belt as well. in the end the cam gear was 1/2 a tooth off due to lack of complete tension. There was no interference. Had he restarted it or continued to drive it the results would have been far more expensive.

No charge to him, withing the warranty period. My vendor and I are taking it up with the manufacturer.
Nice job in getting it back on the road. I commend you for honoring your workmanship and parts.

Care to share what brand pump failed?