Front mount intercooler

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS tdi wagon
I am starting on a Aftermarket IC instillation. Got the bumper cover off and I have the old intercooler off.

If you need to remove your stock IC, you have to unlock one side of the radiator support. I know, most of you know this, I'm trying to help those who don't.

Looking at possible mounting brackets to make. I want it supported top and bottom. Going to try and mount it today and look at pipe routing.

This will be a short day and won't be back on it for a few days. My daughter is getting married this Sunday:).

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
I have every thing fitted. I tried to put the bumper cover on and it's a no go.

I will have to route it different on the turbo side. The other side is fine.

Will post some pictures later

I refit the pipes on the turbo side and it fits, unfortunately the driving lights won't fit. I removed them and all is good.

Last edited:

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
Here are a few pictures as I was installing it.

I am going to replace the big plastic tube with the map sensor as soon as I get the mount for the map sensor welded to my aluminum pipe.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139027174@N03/26866927930/in/album-72157668320951162/lightbox/

My car runs great, but every now and then it goes into limp mode when I start it. I turn it off and back on and all is good.

Found my limp mode problem. The brand new map sensor was bad. I put my old one on and no more limp mode.

It definately feels like I have extra power, but can't confirm it with a dyno or anything, just the seat of my pants.

One last very important thing, be sure to put a bead or lip on any intercooler pipes you have to cut or they can and will pop loose. Ask me how I know, lol.

Last edited:

chickensoup2180

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon (BHW)
Hi I was wondering if there are any side mount inter cooler upgrades? What size fits in the factory drivers side location? thanks

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
If the 1.8t fits the same smic (I think they are) there are all aluminum upgrades however unless you're doing major turbo upgrades the stock one is plenty sufficient other than crappy $$$$ VW ic elbows. They're not crappy until they blow at 200k but they are not cheap to replace with quality oem replacements.

chickensoup2180

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon (BHW)
yeah im looking at upgrading my vnt17 to a bv45A and my inter cooler is pretty banged up.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
yeah im looking at upgrading my vnt17 to a bv45A and my inter cooler is pretty banged up.
I'll have to look at the intercoolers... I've got a 1.8t one, and I think it was different than the BHW one. I know the 1.8t one has the map sensor mounted in it, unlike the BHW that has it on the boost pipe.

chickensoup2180

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon (BHW)
I'll have to look at the intercoolers... I've got a 1.8t one, and I think it was different than the BHW one. I know the 1.8t one has the map sensor mounted in it, unlike the BHW that has it on the boost pipe.
thanks. Im going into the service a year and few weeks from now, and dont want to rip anyone off when it comes time to sell the car (I'll be limiting myself to one car and absolutely am not separating from my '65:eek:). Whoever gets this car will have a nice wagon:) I still got a full front end rebuild kit to install as well.

Just want to have fun with this car for a while then sell it the honest way.