2012 Passat TDI running rough troubleshooting

TuonoV4

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Started to have an issue with my TDI this winter.

The first mile or so of driving, the car runs like ****. It feels like a misfire. The car shutters like it's running on 3 cylinders, very low power, and accompanied by loud noise, seems to be valve train noise.

It goes away after the first mile or so. Doesn't happen again until it sits overnight

This started to happen only on very cold days, 0 degrees Fahrenheit or lower. It would do it even after letting the car warm up for 15 minutes.
Now it does it even up to 40 degree days.

I think it is an injector issue? Opinions? Anyone else experiencing the same issue?

berks_tom

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I'm seeing the same or similar issue with my 2013 SEL. The motor seems to stutter around 1600-1800 RPM, not having much power. Shifting to drop RPM helps to sidestep the trouble region, but doesn't eliminate it. After the engine warms up past 140 degrees (as shown on P3cars gauge), the problem goes away and everything is normal.
Changing the fuel filter had no effect.

Error code 1006 is displayed on the P3Cars gauge when I start the motor.
Scanned the car with VCDS and shows code P1006-- Torque Difference Cylinder 3: Limit Value Exceeded. Ross Tech website says potential causes are dirty or leaky injector or compression loss.

I'm about to drop the car off with a trusted mechanic.

TuonoV4

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Mine will not throw a code, making it quite frustrating. I know the dealer will most likely not find anything wrong with it as there is no code. I love the car other than this issue, and it's really irritating!

Changing the fuel filter on mine also did nothing.

Let me know what fixes yours

berks_tom

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Got the car back. Glow plug was not the issue.

Remaining suspects:
1. Clogged injector
2. VW emissions fix

The fact that the issue goes away when the engine warms up is odd and initially pointed toward a glow plug. The mechanic and I are suspicious of the VW emissions tune.
If an injector were clogged in some manner, I do not understand how the issue would clear up after the car warms up.

My next step may be to look for a tune. I know tunes are available from Kerma, Malone, and Rocketchip. From what I read some time back, I beleve that a Malone stage 2 tune would require a DSG tune. I don't know if that would be the case for the other 2 vendors. Additionally, the idea of removing the DPF in conjunction with a tune has some appeal to it.

Last edited:

berks_tom

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Bad Injector

So I finally took my car to the dealer:
They found the P1006 code and tested the injector. Resistance of the injector was too high and they replaced it. Haven't picked it up from the dealer yet to try it out.
Btw -- this was covered by the extended warranty following the emissions fix.
:)

TuonoV4

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Good thing you got yours fixed, now if only mine would throw a code.
My car has started to take a bit longer to start in the mornings now too.