B4 wagon/sedan parts swap??

smogmonster

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi
Anybody know what sedan/wagon parts can be swapped?
I have a 96 tdi wagon with light front end damage and needs some parts
As it's easier to find a gas sedan as a donor which less obvious parts can I use.?
I know I need the power steering bottle a radiator will these swap or easily nodded to work? And can I use sedan rear seats / door panels in a wagon? Just prefer a different interior and may as well harvest everything I can from a sedan
Also are there any later tdi external parts that could be used on a b4tdi?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Sedan seats will indeed fit in a wagon, you will just have locks that aren't needed to prevent trunk access any longer.

All parts rear of the B-pillar are different and cannot swap, save the seats.

Interior door cards are the same, but door glass and channels are different on the rear doors sedan vs wagon.
Trunk lock and hatch lock are the same, but all other parts are different - lamps, fuel tank, bumper etc.
Rear axle is the same, shocks and springs will fit, but will will wear out fast due to the higher weight in the wagon.

Everything forward of the B-pillar is identical. Front bodywork, dash, engine, transmission etc.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Windex is absolutely right about where the sedan vs wagon parts differ. The B pillar is where the change takes place however, the rear door skin or actually the whole door minus the window frame can be used on the wagon.

As for 'under the hood' stuff it's a little more complicated. The steering reservoir bottle will work but the radiator might not. IIRC the VR6 cars use the same hose connections but they use a slightly different lower radiator mounting setup, but that might not be for all cars either.

TBH the ABA powered B4 cars are much closer to the TDI because they're 4 cylinder. Unfortunately there were never many of those produced.

Steve

smogmonster

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks guys interesting to know regards seats front rear
Are there any later seats that swap into the front incase I find a donor with ripped drivers seat?
Maybe I should try to find a 4cyl donor but 96 assists are kind of slim if I find a v6 version
Does the motor and trans have much value as I won't need it.
So the sedan trunk mounted tail lights won't font a wagon?

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Tails will not fit - they are subtly different. The "outer" lamps have a squared off corner on the wagon, and a rounded corner on the wagons. The inners sit on a slightly different angle (trunk vs hatch) and would not fit correctly.