Considering 2000 VW Jetta TDI

jettagli16v

TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI, '03 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
Hello TDI Club,

My dad is looking at a 2000 VW Jetta TDI with 366k miles on it. What trouble areas or maintenance might be needed with this kind of mileage?

Thank you for your expertise!

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Hello TDI Club,

My dad is looking at a 2000 VW Jetta TDI with 366k miles on it. What trouble areas or maintenance might be needed with this kind of mileage?

All of it lol!

I'd start with seeing when was the last time/mileage the timing belt was changed. That is the priority. Then there is the generic fluids/filters/brakes. At this mileage, everything is suspect. Maintenance records would be very helpful for him.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
This is where documented maintenance records from the previous owner is of high value. Without knowing how it's been maintained it could either be in great shape OR it could be ready for the trash bin.

If there's no records then I'd first rule out the big stuff. I'd want a compression test done: if there's poor compression you're going to be running around chasing your tail, big time.

Transmission, automatic or manual? If automatic then tick, tick, tick...

Assuming that the compression shows to be OK then, if no proof of it being done within interval (100k miles or within the past 5 - 7 years), do the timing belt.

There's suspension. Brakes.

If you can locate a TDI guru close by I'd consult with him/her (are there any "her" TDI gurus?).

How one approaches this depends greatly on whether one is expecting a reliable commuter right from the start or whether it's considered a project car. My cars have tended to be a combination, the amount of work has been like a hobby, though the intended use/goal has been to achieve reliable commuting vehicles (after 3 years I'm finally there! [this has been with two cars]).

Don't be surprised to find that this car is going to require $1k to $3k to get it safe and reliable.

rallywagon

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta, '00 Jetta
Also, don't under-estimate the aggravation or expense of the interior falling apart....door latch switches, door handles, glove box, center console, headliner. The ALH engine is so sweet though.

branforddiesel

TDI
2001 '01 golf TDI 4dr 5speed
Definitely get a set of jumper cables. Right now just being to open the rear hatch with the key is becoming a luxury. But 47mpg compared to the 18 I was getting in the 97 outback is worth it. Still get nervous about whether it'll start right up or what is it gonna be today

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Hello TDI Club,

Don't know what you're spending, but I'd look for a 2002 or 2003 and less miles. Stick shift. If not try a Gen.5 or 6 Honda, very reliable.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Even if the current timing set (belt, etc.) is less than 100k miles, if it has been more than 5 years, change the belt asap. Tires if with very low mileage that are six years old should be replaced for safety's sake; anything rubber is my take on that and $300.00 now is way cheaper than doing a R&R on the head later.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Nevada, have you ever seen some of the tires on old tractors? (I'm running on ten-year-old tires on one of my tractors, and that's young compared to some.) The cost of new tires on larger tractors is insanely expensive (not to mention mounting; and if they're ballasted...). But, I digress, when it comes to running down the road at highway speeds, yes, tire integrity is pretty important.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I apologize for not being specific; yes tractor tires are unbearably expensive and when I was in the agriculture business the tires were run until they fell apart regardless of age, but tires for a highway vehicle was really what I meant. :)