I'm not happy with my 2015 SE, LOADS of questions

DocWatson

TDI
2015 Passat SE
Hey all.

Purchased my 2015 a few months ago and since the beginning I have been fighting with VW to replace worn out components on the vehicle. Originally the vehicle had a very bad wobble at 45 mph that was both audible and physical in the steering wheel and only increased with speed. I finally talked the dealer into a new set of rubber but it was two tires at a time about a month apart.

The vehicle drives much better after the new rubber, but I still have a physical vibration in my wheel while driving at highway speeds. The dealer has already informed me that I have a warped rotor so they want to charge me $425 for brakes. Yeah right I'll do it myself! But that only explains the vibration under braking. The car actually reacts weird to bumps and dips at highways speeds. I'm wondering if any of you guys had to replace the ball joints or arm bushings at around 60k?

I also have a hellacious wind noise coming from somewhere around my door. Is this just normal for the NMS Passat?

While my car was getting the tires I was granted the use of a loaner the first time. It was a 2017 Passat and I LOVED the way the headlights were. Is there a possibility of putting a 2017 front end on a 2015?

I also installed a K&N filter and then came here and read how wrong that was. So I pulled it back out. I noticed that there is a piece that sits under the stock filter on the bottom of the housing, looks like it directs air, but seems like it could be a restriction to me. Anybody have insight on that?

Thanks for your time. Sorry about all the questions and it being all over the place. I want to love this car, but right now it just makes me wonder if I shouldn't have gone with a different sedan.

Doc

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Was this car in a wreck before you bought it?

Why not take it to a shop that specializes in alignments/suspension rebuilding and have them inspect the suspension components?

My previous 2014 Passat TDI did not have any significant wind noise.

DocWatson

TDI
2015 Passat SE
Thanks for your reply. I have a clean Carfax report from the dealer I purchased from. So I do not believe it was in a wreck. But that would explain things.

Doc

DocWatson

TDI
2015 Passat SE
That's kinda what I thought the car should be. I mean we are not talking about a Mercedes here, but still a very well designed German auto. The 2017 on the road was a completely different car. It really makes me wonder if there is not more to the whole "wreck" thing about this particular vehicle. I re-read the Carfax and the only significance is the windshield replacement. That is common in my area though. All Arizona auto insurance must cover windshields because of how many rocks are on our roads here. So that's not surprising I did notice that the windshield is not stamped VW when I bought the car so I knew anyway. Do you think a poorly replaced or non-oem windshield might give me the wind noise??

Once again. Thanks for your reply.

Doc

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
A poorly installed windshield could have a leak around the seal and create excessive wind noise. Most glass shops use Chinese glass these days too.

I'd get the car looked at by a third party shop to get an opinion other than VW's on the suspension and maybe the glass replacement. Most of us here don't trust VW dealerships.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
there are 2 types of windshields, one is standard and one is noise dampening- and the difference between the two is very noticeable. If you can here the cars in front of you, like say a old dodge diesel- you got the cheap windshield

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Our '13 Passat SEL has nearly 68K miles, and it's been impeccable (except for an NOx sensor replaced under the B to B warranty and a heater core replaced under the extended warranty) since we bought it new in July '13. Put new tires on it last fall, still drives smooth as glass. We'll turn it in for the buyback later this year, probably end up in either a new gas Passat or an Accord Hybrid, but we'll miss the diesel economy and torque.

Last edited:

DocWatson

TDI
2015 Passat SE
Awesome. Thanks again for the replies. I'll get the windshield replaced ASAP and take it to the local independent VW shop.

Doc

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
A car fax only has information that someone enters into the system, it is entirely possible that your car was in some type of accident and because of circumstances just didn’t make it to the car fax report.

A replaced windshield could have been a rock, we have the same problem in our area. It may also be the only part of a more serious accident that was never reported to car fax. Windshields are often done by specialty shops and that might explain the windshield making the report and other repairs not doing so.

Personally I think people put way to much faith in those reports. The only thing I really look at is to see where the car has been. The further from the rust belt the better. Even that can be deceiving.

If you look back at the dieselgate history of posts here on tdi club some posters seemed to have been taking great delight in mistreating their new tdi's prior to buyback , and telling everyone about it. As if somehow they were getting back at VW for the whole scandal thing. You might be the lucky new owner of one of those cars abused by a half wit former owner who did the buy back.

Others were putting old tires and other items on their vehicles before they handed them into VW. Craigslist is full of tires , rims, floor mats and other items that buyback owners removed or replaced before turning their cars in.

It just stands to reason that some folks are going to wind up with those cars and wonder why their vehicle isn’t quite as nice as it should be.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Awesome. Thanks again for the replies. I'll get the windshield replaced ASAP and take it to the local independent VW shop.

Doc
NOT SO FAST! Don't do ANYTHING that's recommended from any online site until you establish what your problems are. I have my doubts that replacing your windshield will solve your wind noise problem, which you say comes from the driver's door.

You have no idea how the car was driven/abused for it's 60k miles. FE vibration? "The car actually reacts weird to bumps and dips at highways speeds."
I'd have the antiswaybar links checked. These are known to have issues earlier than many would want, several here replacing at 40-50k.

Sounds like you need to find a competent VW tech before you start throwing money at it. Sorry for your trouble, good luck!;)

pastduebill

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI (man)
Noise & vibration

Hey Doc,
I just bought one of the 2015 Jetta TDIs. I too have a lot of 'road noise'. Through process of elimination, I determined it was the tires. Concrete roads are a little loud. Asphalt roads are quiet. Oiled and pressed pea-gravel roads are LOUD!!! Mine is tire noise & not wind noise.

Since these cars are 'drive by wire', not direct shaft steering, you don't 'feel' the steer tires. A vibration could be no more than tire balance. If it feels like a shimmy, there could be a bent rim. Also check the tire bead all the way around the rims - both sides (inside & outside) - to be sure the tire is mounted good. Jack it up, sit something by the tire and spin it. Watch the clearance as the tire rotates. Do this to the tread side too, to see if the tread is separating. Blowouts aren't fun & no telling how much damage it would do to these plastic cars.
These checks are free and will tell you if it's a tire or rim.

"Reacting weird to dips and bumps" sounds like struts & shocks. At 60,000 mi. I'd replace them anyway.

Hope it's something simple,
Bill

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
"The car actually reacts weird to bumps and dips at highways speeds."

New tires? What brand/size? What PSI?

Something else just came to mind: Make sure tire PSI is uniform on each axle.
I've noticed that most cars are very susceptible to road surface variations if tire pressures are not uniform side-to-side (same axle). I learned this many years ago, 1987 Audi 4000S, reacting VERY WEIRD to road imperfections, after having sat for a few days. I discovered low tire pressures at opposite corners, which caused the normal "front-to-back" porpoising to twist side-to-side...(I hope this makes sense!).
Maybe, just maybe, your weird suspension issues are tire-inflation related. (also, don't go above 40psi, as the NMS Passat just gets squirrely above 40psi)._

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
You can test your windshield seal by applying soapy water around the perimeter while the fan is on high with windows and doors closed. I accidentally discovered this after a windshield replacement and got mine resealed.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I'd second not tossing money on a new windshield.

I had good luck with my aftermarket glass the insurance company picked up for me. Granted it was a Mk5 but still.

I'd check end links, but those usually clunk, especially if crabbing up an embankment.

Could be one bad strut or shock that's throwing the whole lot off. 60k it isn't unheard of replacing them.

A dealer usually isn't the best for finding suspension oddities, warranty work they throw parts at them per guided fault finding, and that's usually where they tap out.

Even though its "German", its not rocket science, any local auto shop worth their time could give the car a "shake down" and give you a few parts, to throw at it.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
I have some similar issues with vibration on my recently purchased 2015 Passat, ~29K miles. Mine has some significant vibration in the steering wheel at 75 mph that can get worse in the turns. Sometimes it rides perfect on new asphalt, so I'm figuring that the cheap Hankook OEM tires that the dealer installed post buyback resale are to blame. I had the tires rebalanced and the vibration reduced but is still significant. It also has a warped rotor or two that needs to be fixed, when I get on the brakes coming down off the rim on I-17 it vibrates. I'm going to take mine to VW North Scottsdale and have Brad or George check it out, both are exceptional techs. Since mine is covered on the CPO warranty and I have less than 3K miles on it I'm hoping they'll goodwill the brakes. It might be as simple as cutting the rotors, but they may warp again.

I'm trying to decide on which tires to put on, I'm currently between the Michelin Premier A/S and the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus. I was looking at H rated tires as I figure they'll ride smoother than the V rated options, but I'm open to any suggestions from the group. I'm looking for a quiet riding tire that doesn't harm fuel economy and isn't completely terrible in rain and light snow, this car is primarily used for highway commuting (140 miles each way Flagstaff to Phoenix).

I understand the comments about the suspension, mine rides different that my Touareg and previous cars I've owned. It isn't unpredictable, it just seems slow to react to bumps and dips.

Mine is quiet except for the whine of the fuel pump, but there isn't much I can do about that.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Since these cars are 'drive by wire', not direct shaft steering, you don't 'feel' the steer tires.
This is incorrect. There is still a physical shaft that connects the steering wheel to the steering rack. There is an electronic power ASSIST motor built into the rack. But it is not full "fly by wire". I dont think that is allowed just yet.

"Reacting weird to dips and bumps" sounds like struts & shocks. At 60,000 mi. I'd replace them anyway.

Hope it's something simple,
Bill
This I agree with.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
This is incorrect. There is still a physical shaft that connects the steering wheel to the steering rack. There is an electronic power ASSIST motor built into the rack. But it is not full "fly by wire". I dont think that is allowed just yet.
This I agree with.

That's right- the throttle linkage is drive by wire, not the steering. Nissan started using a steer by wire system a few years back on the Infiniti Q50. A backup mechanical linkage was still retained, but the steer by wire element was recalled due to safety concerns. The new Q60 is entirely drive by wire- throttle, brakes, and steering. Mechanical redundancy is kept in the steering system, and I would hope for the brakes as well.

Last edited:

Skillet64

TDI
2013 passant tdi sel
I had a slightly dented wheel. Caused a vibration in the front end. Replaced with an eBay repaired wheel and drove like new again. Let your tire shop check those out.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
... I'm going to take mine to VW North Scottsdale and have Brad or George check it out, both are exceptional techs. Since mine is covered on the CPO warranty and I have less than 3K miles on it I'm hoping they'll goodwill the brakes. It might be as simple as cutting the rotors, but they may warp again.
If Brad or George are exceptional techs, they won't let you turn the rotors, because they WILL warp again, sooner than you want!;)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
rotors are cheap, and easy way to prevent return visits and additional complaints.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I have no idea how it works in the US, but here in Ontario many VW's are sold which sound like an exceptional value and the cars look to be in super shape. Many of them come out of Quebec where they might have been a write-off but have been rebuilt. Because they come from Quebec there will be no way to tell that the car was a wreck.

Maybe that can happen in the States as well? Wrecked in one State, rebuilt and sold in another State? Just wondering?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That or Carfax can be 3-6 months late in updating the database once the paper trail sifts through.