Balance Shaft Upgrade Shops

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Add to the South Section:

Digi Sport Performance
110a Rose Lane
Suite 104
Frisco, TX 75034
214-257-8221

Thanks!

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Protocol Automotive in Floyd did a fantastic job on the BSM replacement http://www.protocolauto.com/services/
Pardon the cynicism (I haven't had my 2nd cup of coffee yet), but... how you do you know they did a "fantastic" job?

Some of us can be a bit skeptical of newbies who post rave reviews... Now, looking at these mechanics' website, I see that they recommend 3000 mile oil changes and say that automobile batteries generally last about 3 years... I'd say both of those are rather different from the experience and protocols of most of the members here...

All the best,

Yuri... (Charter Member of Curmudgeons R Us...)

ween

TDI
2004 Passat TDI
Pardon the cynicism (I haven't had my 2nd cup of coffee yet), but... how you do you know they did a "fantastic" job?
All the best,
Yuri... (Charter Member of Curmudgeons R Us...)
"Fantastic" means I was able to drive my car away without the engine blowing up. My enthusiasm comes from my joy at finding a shop that knew how to spell "BSM" less than a days drive from my home. Someone else in this forum recommended them, so they had already done at least one replacement job, which was reassuring when deciding on who to do the work.
That was at 185,000 miles. I'm currently over 212,000 miles, happily "unchained".

LongRifle

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Shop in Va Beach VA

I just posted a note in the forum and thought I should give folks like me a heads up in South Easthern VA

DIA Automotive in Virginia Beach VA did my balance shaft upgrade along with new timing belt and new Camshaft.

They have done several rebuilds of TDI Passats and they are great people to work with.

I just picked my car up today, so attempting to avoid any flames regarding the word fantastic.... I was indeed able to drive my car away, The Car currently drives wonderfully, and I am not a Newbie eventhough my login ID says so.

I have been a reader and a infrequent poster since 2009. I had been working with Oilhammer to try to get to St Louis, but my schedule would never permit it. THANKS OILHAMMER for all of the good advice over the past 18 months.

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
I really need a TDI! 7.3 only gets 17mpg!

After reading about the Passat needing the upgrade, I am worried about buying A Passat wagon, unless I can get a deal on one then have it done. What kind of cost is involved?

rmeyer23

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I just posted a note in the forum and thought I should give folks like me a heads up in South Easthern VA

DIA Automotive in Virginia Beach VA did my balance shaft upgrade along with new timing belt and new Camshaft.

They have done several rebuilds of TDI Passats and they are great people to work with.

I just picked my car up today, so attempting to avoid any flames regarding the word fantastic.... I was indeed able to drive my car away, The Car currently drives wonderfully, and I am not a Newbie eventhough my login ID says so.

I have been a reader and a infrequent poster since 2009. I had been working with Oilhammer to try to get to St Louis, but my schedule would never permit it. THANKS OILHAMMER for all of the good advice over the past 18 months.
What is the going rate for this upgrade? If the area you live in makes a difference, how about in the Midwest?

Thanks, Ron M

CoasterMoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Owned and loved a 2005 Passat GLS TDI Wagon - Stonehenge Grey and Unchained!
The factory VW dealer I am working with tells me that the balance shaft upgrade is a red herring, is over-hyped, and is unnessary.

I would think that if they thought is was a necessary repair on my 2005 B5 Passat TDI Wagon that they would happily take my money and do the upgrade.

Can someone please explain why this upgrade is so critical, and why I should pay several thousand dollars to have this work performed when the factory dealership I am working with says it is unnecsary?

Thank you.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
The factory VW dealer I am working with tells me that the balance shaft upgrade is a red herring, is over-hyped, and is unnessary.

I would think that if they thought is was a necessary repair on my 2005 B5 Passat TDI Wagon that they would happily take my money and do the upgrade.

Can someone please explain why this upgrade is so critical, and why I should pay several thousand dollars to have this work performed when the factory dealership I am working with says it is unnecsary?

Thank you.
Moose: The chain drives the oil pump and the balance shaft. When you are driving, and the chain breaks, the oil pump stops pumping oil. You will then have about 3 seconds to save your crankshaft bearings and other lubricated parts. The fix after a chain break is usually $4 - $8K.

If your chain stays good, you are golden.

If there was no possibility for the chain to break (and they only break when driving), VW would not bother to sell the geared balance shaft parts and discontinue the sale of the chain and sprocket setup that's in your car now.

Take a gamble, you may be one of the lucky ones...;)

s4phillips

Veteran Member
Live in d/FW, TX. Transplanted from the Pacific
TDI
2002 Beetle, 2005 Passat Variant-DOA blunt force trama, 2014 Beetle-went home

Thank you.
The dealer is correct. It is unnecessary to upgrade the BSM, right up to the point the chain fails [edit: without warning]. This is one of Oilhammer's photos... don't remember which one, but usually costs the owner many-thousands $ for engine repair after this happens - much more than pro-actively replacing the chain driven BSM with the gear driven BSM. And it isn't just oil starvation that causes the damage, when the chain comes apart it can ruin the end of the crankshaft.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....

Thank you.
I want to punch those dealer folks in the face, I am so sick and tired of hearing that same crap. God, they are so F'ing clueless....

I just did 3 week before last, 2 of them were broken already, one of which had already had the chain drive replaced once in its past already! Then just this week:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=332386

Yeah, red herring alright... tell that to these people that suddenly find themselves on the other end of a multi-thousand dollar repair bill. If VAG did not think this was an issue, why would they have changed the design in 2006? Why would they have implemented the retrofit in 2008? And why would I have BUCKETS full of busted parts??? :rolleyes:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Had two people tow to the yard their cars last year for it. Sure......dosen't happen....

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
There are still many people out there who hold on to the belief that the lifespan of a car is somewhere around 100,000 miles. (I have a lawyer friend whose 1991 American car just passed 75,000 miles...)

For those people, the balance shaft upgrade may indeed be unnecessary... if they're lucky...

BTW: a VW dealership (or, at least, the salesmen or service "advisors") may not represent the best source of information about these cars...

Yuri

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's

Dealer (today): "see above"......:rolleyes:

A few months from now - Dealer: "Sir, you need a new engine....:(" ...We think the turbo went...... "please write a check for $8,000....Thank you!";)

passat05wagon

TDI
2005 Passat SW
I finally had the BS on my 2005 Passat SW done yesterday by Mair's Continental Motors in Reading PA. Thank goodness I did, at 128,000 miles, when Jeff did mine he found the chain tensioner broken. I don't know how much longer it would of last but I'm glad I didn't wait any longer.

CoasterMoose

Veteran Member
TDI
To my fellow Passat B5 owners:

Thanks to everyone for commenting on on this, I really appreciate your input. Too many people have posted their thoughts/experiences on this subject to thank you all individually, so please accept my heart-felt THANK YOU to you all.

Since this time yesterday, I have spoken with representatives of a different VW dealership and a reputable aftermarket VW service company. Both of these companies believe that the chain drive balance shaft assembly is a major problem, and MUST be upgraded to the new assembly. One company ran the VIN of my car and confirmed that an upgrade was needed. The other company offered to check to see if the upgrade had been performed. Nice people and great company communications/relations.

When I saw all of your responses tonight, I was overwhelmed by your concern regarding this issue. Thank you all again.

Needless to say, I will not be returning to the local VW dealership I have been going to for service during the past month that I have owned this wonderful car. As I mentioned in my previous post, this VW dealer said that they knew nothing about this problem.

They have also told me I should not join any Internet forums because of all the mis-information spread by these forums. WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP! I have learned more about this car during the past 30 days as a member of TDI Club than I could through any other way.

I cannot thank you all enough! Happy motoring!

CoasterMoose

oilhammer

TDI
You'll find this site is THE #1 source of info for your car, bar none. You are most welcome here! :)

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
They have also told me I should not join any Internet forums because of all the mis-information spread by these forums. WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!
I don't think its the mis-information speading they truely are worried about, rather the cancerous profit loss caused by such forums. (sir/ma'am don't join those.. they'll save you money):D

I think I've spent a total of $120 at a VW service department over the years... 3 inspections at $40 a pop.... ;) Now I completely steer clear.

CoasterMoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Yuri wrote:

More than likely they were telling the truth...
If so, this VW dealership must be clueless..... or evil.

aja wrote:

Dealer: "sir....your Passat that was towed in.....Ughhhh, the motor is shot.....must have been a bad turbo....it will be $8,0000 to fix..."

Interestingly enough, the dealerships I talked with that knew of this problem said that if the balance shaft assembly breaks while I am driving, I will have about 3 seconds to shut down or I will be facing an $8,000 engine replacement. aja was spot on with the engine replacement costs at a dealership.

Thanks again to you all, what an incredible resource you are. I hope to be able to help you all at some point, too.

Moose

CoasterMoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi all, I see in the Trusted TDI Mechanics (TDI 101) thread there are 3 shops listed in the Seattle area - Bugaid, Zahntech and Bow Wow. I don't see any of these shops listed as being recommended in the posts for the Balance Shaft Upgrade Shops thread in the B5 forum.

Does anyone have any experience with shops performing this upgrade in the Seattle/Tacoma Washington area? I don't really want to drive 150 miles south to Portland, Oregon to have this work done, that's the nearest shop listed that is experienced in this repair.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Thanks!

brawnwgn

TDI
Passat GLS Wagon, 2004, Samoa Red
Matthew at Zahntech did mine at 70000 miles (15000 miles ago) along with the timing belt and related bits. It was making noise, but postmortem inspection showed the tensioner in one piece. I'm still glad I had it done for piece of mind. If I recall correctly, he had done 5 or 6 before mine. By now he's probably done many many more. Better make an appointment before he gets sick of doing it.

CoasterMoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Oilhammer and Brawn. I'll check with Matthew at Zahntech. My Passat TDI wagon has 87K miles so it needs to be done.

Thanks again guys!

John Nash

TDI
2012 Passat SE TDi
BS upgrade

What is a typical cost of having the BS upgrade done? I am at 100K miles, just bought the 2005 passat TDI which has a new timing belt and water pump completed.Not at all happy to hear of this issue after just buying the car.Thanks.:mad:

vcassens

TDI
passat
Hey guys I am new hear and I am going to look at an 05 tdi passat tomorrow and I am wondering if there is any way to tell if the car has had this done or not thanks vincent

oilhammer

TDI
John Nash: our shop charges about $3000 parts and labor (this includes the timing belt and related bits, that would have to come off anyways).

vcassens: if the seller did not tell you about it, chances are it has NOT been done, as most people don't easily forget about a $3000 bill. Lucky for you, I am not all that far away, if you want to stop by I can at least take a listen.

vcassens

TDI
passat
John Nash: our shop charges about $3000 parts and labor (this includes the timing belt and related bits, that would have to come off anyways).

vcassens: if the seller did not tell you about it, chances are it has NOT been done, as most people don't easily forget about a $3000 bill. Lucky for you, I am not all that far away, if you want to stop by I can at least take a listen.[/QUOTE

Ok sounds good I might take you up on that would some time this afternoon work?i would love to have someone that knows these cars check it out for me