Removing the Turbo - Polo 2DR 2006 1.9TDI

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
We're at the other spectrum of environment... things don't freeze, they melt. The handles on your plier will get so soft they slip off. You spend your working life putting a cardboard box over your tools to prevent them hitting 60c.
Humidity is high, there's no cold to freeze it to the ground, a cold drink ends up in a puddle of condensation in minutes, everyone uses drink "stubby holders".
Electronics start to fail with the humid weather, there's very rarely frost, let alone ice or snow. There are times when mushrooms can grow on the walls of you home, high chance of mold spores and most people have two fridges. Potatoes, vegetables, pretty much everything has to live in the fridge. Except vegemite... lol
Yup the cold is harsh, grew up in Sydney where we get 4 seasons. It's just as expensive in the sub-tropics, if not more, because it takes more energy to cool that it does to heat. Trust me, there's nothing worst that trying to have a nap on the sofa and a bead of sweat trickles down your face and wakes you up. It's cooled a lot, low 20s (deg c) and I feel like a bear only wanting to sleep... it's the things we dont have we seek.
The worst thing about our climate is that humid air screws with your perspiration systems, and you just sweat, not because it's very hot, but because there's no evaporative effect and your body keeps sweating in an attempts to cool it down. Hot days, the cold tap here is 25c... need I say more.
When they say he's gone "troppo" they are referring to a mental illness caused by tropical weather.
BUT.. all that said.. NO SALT on our roads!! BIG BONUS!
I spent a year on Okinawa. I remember getting off the plane, from an air conditioned environment and walking into that high humidity. It felt like someone jumped on my chest, just walking made a person sweat so much you needed to change your clothes.

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 TDI Polo 2006 (2005 built)
Vw has an issue with their blend doors. For some reason they made them out of aluminum with lots of holes in them. Then the doors were covered with a foam that deteriorates after a few years and blows out the heat ducts. The heater core still works fine it’s just that the doors don’t direct the warm air into the cabin.

Is that what you’re dealing with? During the summer the ac is rather weak for the same reasons. I have this issue on my daughters 01 Beetle. I just taped up the blend doors with hvac tape.
No, it was a few years ago and coolant leak issue and diagnosed as a heater matrix failure...

I thought I'd have to remove the dash and remove the entire heating module like I did with the MK2. Having access to the heater matrix in this way must have been thought of because of the pain involved in removing it in earlier models. In europe, the older Mk2's didnt have Air con, mine's Japanese spec with AC and it does require a complete removal.

Yes, I too had to re-foam all my heating and vent flaps, the foam they used was terrible and ends up in your teeth. The point being, many people think the heater core is a dash out operation. I'll find out today.

Golf heater core refurbishing.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I think all MK4 and onward here in the states are dash out to replace the heater core. You may get lucky but I would be surprised if you were.

The easiest core I ever replaced was on a Ford Aerostar. It was mounted right over the front passangers feet behind a plastic sheild that had 6-8 small screws and 4 or so more holding the core in place, disconnect 2 coolant lines and it was out. Maybe 30 minutes.

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
I think all MK4 and onward here in the states are dash out to replace the heater core. You may get lucky but I would be surprised if you were.

The easiest core I ever replaced was on a Ford Aerostar. It was mounted right over the front passangers feet behind a plastic sheild that had 6-8 small screws and 4 or so more holding the core in place, disconnect 2 coolant lines and it was out. Maybe 30 minutes.

The matrix pipes are long and run quite low on the firewall and have a join inside the vehicle, so there might be a leak at that point and I might get lucky. The MK2 pipes run high up on he wall, that's definitely a dash out.

didn't do much today, spent most my time sorting out the botch job on the air filter box and chasing up the compressed olive and oil feed, trying to find someone to do the crimp/flare/swage or whatever its called. I think I might call VW are get the whole part. Everyone's telling be it's a "too hard" basket issue.

It's stainless steel too... :(

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don’t you have a vw dealer with an online parts store that sells at a significant discount? Or a company that sells vw aftermarket and oem parts there in your country?

Like these guys here in the US.

Idparts.com

Metalmanparts.com

Cascadegerman.com

I have a turbo line, hard tube oem, that is in good order I removed it from my 05 last fall when my turbo failed. Replacing it with a braided stainless flex line as I said in an earlier post. If you’re interested I’ll see what it would cost to send the hard tube.

Let me get a couple of pics first, that’s not something we need to send to the other side of the world and have it not fit.

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
Don’t you have a vw dealer with an online parts store that sells at a significant discount? Or a company that sells vw aftermarket and oem parts there in your country?

Like these guys here in the US.

Idparts.com

Metalmanparts.com

Cascadegerman.com

I have a turbo line, hard tube oem, that is in good order I removed it from my 05 last fall when my turbo failed. Replacing it with a braided stainless flex line as I said in an earlier post. If you’re interested I’ll see what it would cost to send the hard tube.

Let me get a couple of pics first, that’s not something we need to send to the other side of the world and have it not fit.
Got lucky today, found a hydraulic supplier that worked his magic on the end of the tube for free.. so I dropped off a case of Heiniken :)

Then the bad news, you're right, the polo's heater matrix is as all others and real pain in the (_!_) to remove.

Other news, picked up the BV39A turbo from supplier, he was priming it with oil and gave me a few tips. Removed the exhaust, impeller and shaft fell out along with a flood of oil, so that's standing up draining with a flush of spray degreaser. Overall a productive day, will take pics tomorrow and begin putting things back :)

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
Order of operation.. Above and Below

So to conclude my diagnosis for the turbo failure...
  1. Turbo seized for no apparent reason as oil lines were clear. Just failed I suippose (it was second hand)
  2. Exhaust impeller shot into the exhaust, the cold impeller seized in a mash of metal and engine oil pumped out of the turbo into exhaust and pre intercooler pipes.

Conclusion of extraction

Under Car:
  • Disconnected transmission side of drive shaft
  • Disconnected Exhaust
  • Disconnected ducting
  • Disconnect 1 of the EGR flanges
  • Disconnected Oil supply support
  • Disconnected Intake Heat sheild
  • Removed lower and all but two of the top exhaust manifold nuts
  • Removed all Intake manifold nuts
  • Disconnected Oil return flange
  • Disconnected vacuum line

From engine bay
  • Disconnected EGR coolant hoses
  • Disconnected other EGR flange ?
  • Disconnected Vacuum Hosing
  • Disconnect Air Filter ducting
  • Removed Intake Ducting
  • Extracted Intake manifold
  • Disconnect Oil supply Turbo (access from above)
  • Disconnected Oil supply Oil Filter
  • Disconnect final two bolts of Exhaust manifold
  • Extracted Turbo from above

I suppose you can do it all from above or under car, I think both proved to be the wiser move. (I'd have trashed the oil supply connection otherwise.)

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wait till you get it all back together and fire it up, you’ll have smoke coming out the exhaust pipe in unbelievable quantities. It took about a 10 mile drive for all the oil in my exhaust to burn off. It’s a good idea to head for an area where there’s not to many people or traffic around.

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
Wait till you get it all back together and fire it up, you’ll have smoke coming out the exhaust pipe in unbelievable quantities. It took about a 10 mile drive for all the oil in my exhaust to burn off. It’s a good idea to head for an area where there’s not to many people or traffic around.
Emptied this a few times now, disconnected exhaust to find the impeller and more oil poured out....

Caboolture Turbo arrived. John at the turbo shop was priming it with oil and gave me a good lesson on the tolerances and importance of the oils. Emphasis on cleaning the oil feed line well before firing up.

Dennis at Hydraulink Pinkeba sorted out my oil supply tube, now to snake it back in place.

Jarhead, you're right... no such luck in an easy heater matrix...

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Maybe by draining the exhaust you won’t have as much smoke for as long as I did. I didn’t drain mine like you’re doing.

Priming that turbo is important. I think I mentioned that several new turbo threads on this forum have ended in disaster because someone didn’t prime their brand new turbo. So the tips you got from your supplier are a good idea to follow.

Looking good, those heaters are a pain, there’s just no way around it.

I see the underside of your car looks beautifully rust free. I bought my Golf from California in 2012 so when I received it the underside was perfect, now I’m coming to the end of my fifth northern PA winter and it no longer looks like yours does.

Salt sure take a toll on vehicles. You may never have seen an old truck driving down the road with the body all eaten up and parts looking like they’re going to fall off the next time the guy hits a bump.

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
Install begins.

Turbo primed with lube and ready to be mounted.

Precision Tolerances... Aint no chinese clone.

Onto the car she goes... just finger tightened so I could get under and mount the bottom support.

John from the turbo shop mentioned it doesn't hurt to smear a little copper grease on the metal gaskets to help them bed in. The nut and stud prep earlier made the turbo mounting a single handed breeze. Loosely got the exhaust manifold nuts on by hand without dropping any. Got underneath and loosely tightened the mounting bolt and proceed to merrily tighten the turbo into place :)

Then....:(

Lots of cussing, sweating and NOT HAPPY times getting the stainless steel oil supply on... For anyone doing this job, unless you really enjoy pain, buy a braided flexible oil supply line and I'll hold your beer (It'll still be cold when I hand it back) otherwise... Spend over an hour fussing, cussing and high blood pressure with the genuine line. It snakes between, over and under several other coolant pipes, has support brackets that will make you swear and needs two people to do.... nasty nasty... so I got it on and will tighten and set it when I'm in a better mood tomorrow...

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yup braided line is the way to go. Every thing is looking good.

Just as a reminder before you start cranking pull the glow plugs and give it a couple of cranks with some rags over those holes. Oil could have leaked down into the cylinders especially #2 and #3, I sure wouldn’t want to see you hydrolock a cylinder because there was to much oil sitting on top of the piston. Can’t wait for you to get this running again.

Did you get the heater done?

Send some of that warm weather to the states, winter is just hanging on up here .

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
Yup braided line is the way to go. Every thing is looking good.

Just as a reminder before you start cranking pull the glow plugs and give it a couple of cranks with some rags over those holes. Oil could have leaked down into the cylinders especially #2 and #3, I sure wouldn’t want to see you hydrolock a cylinder because there was to much oil sitting on top of the piston. Can’t wait for you to get this running again.

Did you get the heater done?

Send some of that warm weather to the states, winter is just hanging on up here .

Is there a link on removing the glow plugs...

As for heater matrix.... pain and more pain to come. It was too hot to work on car today.. you're welcome to as much as you want

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
I’m not sure if this is your engine or not, if not go to the tdi wiki at the top of the page and navigate to the correct one.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/glow-plug-removal-and-replacement-on-tdi/

Or the go to glow plug troubleshooting guide.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=483553

And then there’s this, I haven’t read or explored to much over there.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?764935
Aaaah thanks!!!

I get it now and mine are quite easy to access... Remove the connection and remove the plugs with a 10mm deep socket. Sounds easy enough!

I assume they're much like the glow plugs we use on our RC race cars only a little bigger :)

h

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not sure what they look like on an RC car but they’re about the same size as a spark plug on a gasser. A 10mm deep well socket will usually get them out. When you put them back in a little never seize on the threads is a good idea, and be careful about over torquing them. Steel plugs into an aluminum head can be a bad combination.

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
I've got the best son a man could ask for, it's been a hot and stressful day. He's been by my side all day giving me a hand.. Yep I'm a lucky guy!
Intake manifold went on quite smoothly, I was under the car, Luke was above and we managed to get it on trouble free. Gave the air intake a good clean and got it in place too. Perhaps should have first connected the coolant lines that bypass the heater matrix and go directly into the EGR...

With the intake in place, proceeded to remove the glow plugs as advised. Happy I did too, the electrical rail wasn't in good shape and began to perish in my hands. Had to pull away insulating rubber to get the plugs out.

No sign of oil, just a lot of carbon and some calcified muck... but they cleaned up a treat. If I get the chance I'll do a resistance check.

Disconnected the FUEL injectors, removed the little red locking tab and counterclockwise and looks clean.

The plug supply rail needs a little loving..

Luke helped me heatshrink the insulators.

Plugs cleaned up nicely..

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
NOW FOR A RANT!
You assume that when you pay premium service charges, you get a premium service.. WELL YOU DONT...
SOME IDIOT SILICONED ON THE COOLANT HOSE, AT THE OTHER END IT"S WORN AWAY AGAINS THE MATRIX PIPE... I KNOW WHO YOU ARE, WE PAID TOP DOLLAR AND IT WASN'T WORTH ANYTHING OTHER THAN DODGY RATES...
Two hours, trying to get the hose off so I could repair/replace it, the wall of the hose was paper thin and bound to erupt at any time... TWO HOURS and then I took drastic measures and called on my SHARK KNIFE...

Cleaned off all the silicon, replace the hose, sleeved the heater matrix pipe with an offcut of hose to prevet the wearing and it was sorted.. Didn't have to be this difficult, that's for sure!

Almost there :)

The main rail had exposed crimp too, so I cut a piece of old silicon hose and wrapped it in self adhering silicon tape.

I'm not perfect, I'm the first to tell myself that in the morning...
hmmm oops!

:)

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The glow plug wiring harness breaks down over time with heat and age. It looks like you sorted yours nicely.

It’s great to have help, especially a son who’ll lend a hand, you are indeed lucky. I have 4 yes 4 girls my youngest started the transmission bolts for me when I did a clutch job a few years back. Since I was laying under the car making like a lift holding the transmission up in place my hands were a little busy so she helped out with those bolts. Mostly my girls aren’t really interested in cars other than where it can take them.

When you put the oil,supply line back on it’s a good idea to make sure the brackets that hold it get reattached, several members here have had the line break after several thousand miles, apparently the brackets keeps it from vibrating against other parts and wearing a hole in it.

It’s interesting as I look at the pictures of your engine I can see the PD parts , but it looks like your egr and intake are from an alh engine. I’m sure that’s just a difference between what’s sold here in the states and what’s sold in your neck of the woods.

Glad your cylinders are free of any oil pooling.

You’re almost done.

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
The glow plug wiring harness breaks down over time with heat and age. It looks like you sorted yours nicely.

It’s great to have help, especially a son who’ll lend a hand, you are indeed lucky. I have 4 yes 4 girls my youngest started the transmission bolts for me when I did a clutch job a few years back. Since I was laying under the car making like a lift holding the transmission up in place my hands were a little busy so she helped out with those bolts. Mostly my girls aren’t really interested in cars other than where it can take them.

When you put the oil,supply line back on it’s a good idea to make sure the brackets that hold it get reattached, several members here have had the line break after several thousand miles, apparently the brackets keeps it from vibrating against other parts and wearing a hole in it.

It’s interesting as I look at the pictures of your engine I can see the PD parts , but it looks like your egr and intake are from an alh engine. I’m sure that’s just a difference between what’s sold here in the states and what’s sold in your neck of the woods.

Glad your cylinders are free of any oil pooling.

You’re almost done.
LOL at where the car can take them...hehe..

Yes, I've attached the bracket on the side of the block and the bracket on the stud of the exhaust manifold is ready too. Thanks for the glow plug idea and the injector disconnect as I'm going to use it to prime the oil in the turbo and check for any leaks before I spin her up. I'm concerned with the oil feed at the turbo.

This exercise makes me think I may have caught a couple of future issues before they happened. Must also put VAGCOM on and check for errors. It was reporting a weird alternator fault and has had a dead CAM/CRANK SENSOR that was easy to swap out.

I think they've produced this version specially for our market, I don't think we ever got the Golf 1.9, only the 2.0, I could be wrong. So they may have had an excess of these and put them in the polo. It's got a LOT of Torque and pulls hard.

I'm almost certain now that the heater matrix, while damn near impossible to get to without removing the dash has connections internally that may have been the cause of the leak. I just can't see how those LONG matrix pipes and braised braket can make it through the firewall like other matrix that stand up vertically - eg my Golf MK2. What I did notice were the two small holes in the firewall felt that seem to be the dash bolts...

Been there... done that!

Last edited:

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
Worked a little on the car last night, daytime was too hot. Finished the top section of ducts, air filter. Mounted it properly and installed the new oil filter.

Today I realised the oil return gasket was mangled and siliconed, so I've made up my own out of gasket material, I hope it works. At least there's easy access to it if it leaks, should be good.

The oil level wiring connector (I assume) insulation has broken down so will re-insulated it, re-install the exhaust, mount the oil return and bracket for the oil feed and all that's left is the blower duct, CV and fill up with oil.

I'm going to crank her on the starter with injectors and glow plugs removed to try and get oil primed and flowing into the turbo before combustion. Want to check the oil feed connection too.

Almost there...

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have a thought about the hot weather affecting rubber parts. Here in the north we have plenty of salt all winter and it literally eats a car after a few seasons.

However my daughters 01 Beetle came from Arizona, one of the reasons the previous owner sold it was that just about every rubber bushing underneath the car was bad. Not just your usual, “I think my lower control arms need new bushing”. These were so bad that the front wheels moved during acceleration and braking.

I replaced almost every rubber suspension part underneath that car except for the rear control arm bushings which looked new. I think it was from the heat out in that Arizona desert.

She also had some topside rubber and plastic parts that were brittle and fell apart. Her glow plug harness had been replaced once and I had to redo it again, along with a couple of other bits and pieces.

After fixing all those things her car has been running great. If the heat does comprise the rubber and plastic parts I think I’d rather deal with that instead of the rust any day.

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
Indeed, dashboards, plastics and rubbers all deteriorate quickly in hot climates. Then again, we don't rust as badly as we don't salt roads so it all balances out in the long run.

Finished off the underside today, mounted the oil feed bracket after losing a nut in the K frame. Threw some spare insulation over the oil level connection wiring, installed HP duct, mounted oil return, installed exhaust and refitted the CV.

Tomorrow's the big day, will leave the glow plugs out and cover, turn it over on the starter and hope the oil feeds through the system. Install plugs, maybe degrease the front of the block, top up coolant and hopefully fire her up trouble free.

I think removing the exhaust pipe was a good idea, it was only two bolts on the joiner and four on the bracket. Let me get a light in there and made more room under the car.

Degreasing the plastic underbody cover and just the CV cover to mount...

:)

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That is one clean engine from underneath. Glad you’re almost done. Fingers crossed that it fires up and works great.

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
TADA!!!!

Left the keys in ignition and had flat battery, CTEK to the rescue..

8 hours later, turned her over with injectors unplugged and glow plugs out. No oil on the towel jammed in, not much at all really.. so combustion chambers seemed fine.

Connected plugs and injectors, fired up first time and threw Engine and Glow faults, expected that anyway. Shut down and checked for coolant and oil leaks all good for now.

Restarted, another two times with breaks in between and fault lights disappeared. Started again until I could feel some warmth in the coolant return from head... Purred nicely, a top up of oil, will need some more demineralised water for coolant tomorrow.

Will heat cycle another time tomorrow morning, get under her and check the EGR coolant and oil to turbo for leaks... So far everything seems AOK!

Thanks for your support Jarhead, it's always good when there's another mind with experience sharing the process. Thanks for the tips with glow plugs and so on, makes the whole experience a lot easier knowing there's someone watching.

Hope this helps others who might consider doing the job themselves. It's definitely worth it as the labour cost will exceed the cost of Turbo and sundry items.

In Australian Dollars...

Borg Warner BV39A Turbo 1380.00 AUD
Shell Ultra 5w-30w Oil 60.00 AUD
RYCO Oil Filter 50.00 AUD
Degreaser, brake clean, copper antiseize, gloves and sundries 30.00 AUD

I'd mention adding a new oil feed, manifold nuts, various gaskets and air filter for anyone considering doing it if you want to be safe. Estimate an additional 300-400 AUD if using genuine parts.

So around 2000 AUD. 1500 ish USD.

Cheers.

h

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeahhhh! Have you driven it yet? Or rve’ed it yet? I got mine all together and put my foot on the go pedal and it made a horrible screeching sound. It seems I forgot to tighten the egr pipe bolts.

How’s the smoke? You drained your exhaust so it should clear up pretty quick. I drove mine about 10 miles before it finally cleared. Good thing I live out in the country, it probably wouldn’t have been a good idea leaving that smoke screen on a city street.

Great job I liked your organization of parts and you cleaned everything, and had excellent hands on help. (Son)

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The BEW engine turbo will have to come out the bottom. And you’ll have to remove the passenger side axle as well.

Edit: I see you’re another Aussie we don’t have the Polo here, but we do have the Golf, I think they’re fairly similar. As I looked at the pics blis posted I could see his engine looked almost like my BEW, however there were some differences, the intake looked like an ALH. So I’ll probably have to let him speak to the top or bottom removal question.

Welcome by the way, I never did officially welcome blis so I guess better late the never, welcome to him also.

Last edited:

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi guys,
Presuming the Polo ang Golf engines are the same, is it better to tackle the turbo removal from top or fro underneath
I found that it's best to work both, a lot of the manifold bolts are easier to remove from underneath and the removal of turbo and manifold easier from above. Not sure I'd have been comfortable removing the turbo from below unless I completely remove the driveshaft. If you remove the exhaust pipe it makes for more room too.

There's nothing super tricky to it, it's just requires a good set of deep and shallow sockets and hex sockets.

blis

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeahhhh! Have you driven it yet? Or rve’ed it yet? I got mine all together and put my foot on the go pedal and it made a horrible screeching sound. It seems I forgot to tighten the egr pipe bolts.

How’s the smoke? You drained your exhaust so it should clear up pretty quick. I drove mine about 10 miles before it finally cleared. Good thing I live out in the country, it probably wouldn’t have been a good idea leaving that smoke screen on a city street.

Great job I liked your organization of parts and you cleaned everything, and had excellent hands on help. (Son)
No smoke, no oil from glow plugs, gave it a rev, no screeches, I took notice of the loose egr comment an ensured I'd tightened it all up.

One more heat cycle and I'll take it out for a drive.

Feeling confident :) (touch wood)