replacing steering wheel with multifunction wheel

M206

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 TDI 150cv
The Jetta Clasico in Mexico is still the Mk IV style but now has a Mark 6 wheel, so one may presume their airbag is compatible:

MY2012 Multifunction version (different airbag shape of course):

Weird how they have now removed the rheostat for the dashlights though. :confused:
very good info..

but i think it'll be very difficult for me to find something used like this in europe..:rolleyes:

i still did not understand if the mk6 airbag is dual stage or not..someone tells yes, someone no..:confused:

the best solution would be to keep the mk4 airbag and try to adapt it at the steering wheel of the mk6..but i doubt it's possible..:(:(

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
As far as I know, the Mk6 air bag is single stage. it certainly only has one connector.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Mk5 steering wheel and airbag will physically fit, but you'd be better off installing a Mk5 steering wheel and a late Jetta/Golf City airbag, which has the same fit but designed to work with a Mk4 airbag system.

McDillon86

TDI
2000 VW Jetta TDi, 2012 VW Jetta TDi w/premium sound
ok thanks i bet my mother in law may be able to source me a jetta city airbag from mexico but will be heading back to the junk yard next check to pick a few more things of a gli vr6 6spd i found there and ask how much the wheel cost

krousej

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
tongsli,

I was just wondering if you ever finished the pdf for swapping in a multi-function steering wheel? I've got a 2001 Golf TDI w/ regular cruise. I found a 2003 gasser at the yard with a multi-function steering wheel and everything. From what I gathered from the 13 page write-up about it; I need the wiring all the way to the ECU and relay panel. Is that correct? Ain't nobody got time fo dat!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
DId you read this?

Difference between 451 and 452:

451 = 1j0 907 487A
452 = 1j0 907 487B or D (new one)

Difference is wiring. 451 is for 2002+ cars and uses CAN for the Cruise and steering. It doesn’t have the REM wire from the green connector on the radio, and it doesn’t need the S-cont (switched 12V power) or the ILLUM wire. It has the two twisted orange/brown wires for CAN though.

Here is a pic of the 451 wiring. Notice the twisted pair of orange/brown wires on pins 1 and 3. These are for CAN. Also notice that there are no wires in pins 5, 12, or 15. In order for 452 to work you need those wires.

(Thanks to GTi_1.8Turbo for the pic)

452 is for 1999.5 – 2001 cars and uses the REM wire at pin 5, switched 12V at pin 12, and Illumination wire at pin 15 of its connector You can probably make the 452 work, but you’ll have to add these three wires in addition to all the other wires.

As it happens, I have an extra 451 I picked up at a local junkyard recently. This guy kleinersforeigncar@gmail.com also has one. Let me know if anyone needs one.

Also, this is a great thread with pictures showing the relays

http://www.vwnavi.com/vwnavi/forums/showthread.php?t=103&highlight=multifunction+version

Wes
I never did a PDF. This thread documents most of the modification.

The 2003 uses a different module. It is possible to wire in the 2003 module in your 2001 because I did it just recently when I added my RNS2 to my car.

Last edited:

PeterBora

TDI
BORA ARL
I have recently bought mk6 mfsw and I had mfsw in my bora I would love to somehow connect mk6 buttons to work as my old mk4 wheel is this possible ?

all I want is to connect so buttons lit up and have 3 cruise control buttons working
4 stereo buttons and two bottom ones to work as horn
as in this picture?

is this possible have anyone done this?
Please help

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
05sPD-BEWagon "Diesel Girl"
Hey Gents!

I have an 05 BEW wagon GLS without a MFSW. I have an 05 BEW wagon GLS donor with MFSW.
Can any one tell me where the controller is located/mounted?
Can anyone tell me if the 05 wiring harness will need wires added?

Thanks much, TC

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
The required controller is a double relay mounted under the dash in the relay plate in the area above the clutch pedal.

See post #3 in this thread for wiring requirements.

:)

Last edited:

Tony7565

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
If anyone has any questions let me know. I was able to successfully complete the conversion a couple weeks ago on a 2003 Jetta. Bought a new steering wheel, airbag, 451 relay, 451 relay harness, turn signal stalk, and aftermarket radio steering wheel control interface off eBay; total cost $316. It's a little bit of a pricey mod, but I gotta say the multifunction steering wheel is a game-changer...it's awesome.

UPDATE: I now have Wiring Diagrams for adding the MF steering...

T18c Pin - color/stripe - function
1 - orange/brown - CAN Low (in 2002+ cars that use 451 relay and CAN)
2 - - no connection
3 - orange/brown - CAN High (in 2002+ cars that use 451 relay and CAN)
4 - black/white - Cruise related, clip on to wire from T10s/4 or T10s/7 from signal stalk, or tap-in to T10e/3 (connector in water-tight box)
5 - lavender - REM wire for remote control of radio, to T20/11 "green" connector behind radio head unit, not needed when using 451 and CAN
6 - green/purple - K-wire (diagnostic wire) T16/7 in instrument panel wiring harness, (OBDII port), below inst. panel, left
7 - - no connection
8 - red/yellow - Cruise - tap-in to T10e/2 in water tight box
9 - brown/yellow - connect to horn relay, S1/6 (bottom left on relay panel, marked "53"), cut wire that is already connected there (it currently goes to T5b/3 on steering wheel) leaving a stub of a few inches from S1/6, and crimp T18c/9 to the stub of S1/6
10- brown - Ground, 1 in instrument panel wiring harness (Brown wires above clutch)
11- - no connection
12- black/red - 12V switched, connect to Fuse 5 in fuse panel (7.5 Amps) When connecting, you should splice this T18c/12 wire AND the wire from T5b/3 that you cut from S1/6 above together into the wire from Fuse 5. Therefore 12V switched from Fuse 5 should go to the middle of T5b/3 on cancelling ring AS WELL AS pin 12 on T18c-- T18c/12 does NOT need this w/ CAN (451), BUT T5b/3 STILL DOES!
13- red/green - 12V power, connect to fuse 40 in the fuse-panel but if you don't do that, you should use an in-line fuse
14- red/grey - Cruise - tap-in to T10e/9 in water tight box
15- grey/blue - ILLUM wire - tap in to T3c/3 in instrument panel light dimmer switch... Not needed w/ CAN (451)
16- blue - Cruise - tap-in to T10e/1 in water tight box
17- - no connection
18- yellow - Horn, T5b/1 on cancelling ring (at steering wheel) you will probably have to add this wire, it is on the far right of the yellow T5B/1 connector on the steering column as you are looking at the steering column.

Some more info:

451 is the newer relay that you use with 2002+ cars with CAN Bus. 452 is the older relay that you use with 1999, 2000, and 2001 cars that use 3LB (12V Switched, Illumination, and the REM wire). T18c is the connector (pictured below) for the 451 or 452 relay in the relay panel. T5b is the connector on the cancelling ring where the steering wheel attaches. T10s is in turn-signal stalk, T10e is in white Water-tight box in the plenum chamber on the driver's side. I got to it by laying the driver's seat all the way back and lying upside down with my head under the dash and my legs on the headrest. It was a pain in the butt (and the lower back), but I'd rather do that than removing my windshield cowling to access the white water-tight box from the top-side. I used gel-filled wire-taps to "tap in" to the wires in T10e, rather than cutting them and re-crimping.

Wes

2stroke

TDI
2.0 TDI PD
Steering Wheel Swap... ?

( 2004 ) Passat Wagon 4-Motion

Car has a 4 spoke multifunction steering wheel and I can't stand the appearance of it.

I would like to fit a 3 spoke multifunctional steering wheel from another VW

Is it possible ?

Suggestions of suitable steering wheels ?

:confused:

Last edited:

Allen Vos

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
451 relay in 2000 TDI Jetta?

Hi guys, I'm putting a multi function steering wheel into my 2000 TDI jetta. Everything I have read indicated that I need the 452 relay due to lack of CAN bus on my car. I have an aftermarket radio in the car so I only need the cruise and horn functions. I have a 451 relay and access to VAG-Com. Is there any way possible to get the 451 relay to work in my car?

Thanks in advance guys, just thought I would post before I track down a 452 relay

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
Hi guys, I'm putting a multi function steering wheel into my 2000 TDI jetta. Everything I have read indicated that I need the 452 relay due to lack of CAN bus on my car. I have an aftermarket radio in the car so I only need the cruise and horn functions. I have a 451 relay and access to VAG-Com. Is there any way possible to get the 451 relay to work in my car?
I've never tried this, but supposedly you can change from Can to non-can by coding. See this article. However, you can get a 452 relay on ebay for less than $10 so that may be an easier alternative.

dedededanny

TDI
'05 VW Golf - 300K
Almost done

I got everything working except the horn and cancel button. The cancel buttons work if only if you press the one on the stalk and the wheel simultaneously. I read something about having to switch the wires around so they're in series rather than parallel since they activate 0v, 5v when not pressed, but I can't picture how that would work. The horn I'm stumped. In VCDS measuring blocks, it detects all the wheel buttons, but I don't know how to check if it detects the horn. I tried the output test and it activated the horn from there, but pressing it does nothing. Any thoughts? I'm using the 451 btw

UPDATE: I figured I'd leave this here in case someone has a similar issue, but I found out one of the 4 copper tabs that detect the metal spring plates being pushed down was bent, so the horn just didn't work, and occasionally would just go off and keep honking. I fixed it by taking the airbag off and carefully bending the copper tab down a tad. If you shine a light and look at it from the right angle while pushing, you can kinda see which ones are making a connection/not disconnecting. I might add that occasionally as soon as I turned the key after the battery was disconnected and reconnected, it would honk briefly on its own.

The cruise buttons I'm still confused about, but I can just cancel it with the brake pedal so it's not the end of the world

Last edited:

vwabbitman

TDI
82 Rabbit Pickup
Where do the can low and high connect? I'm installing a 451 right now in my 04 gli and thats all thats left.

03mk5tdi

TDI
03 jetta tdi
i took off and put back on my steering wheel becuase i had to get to the igintion lock. when i put it back on i made sure my marks were lined up and when i tightened the bolt to the steering wheel shaft i used the steering wheel lock to hold it in place.

when i drive now it seems like my allignment is off? but before i took it off my allingment was fine.

anybody have any advice on what would of caused this problem?

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Pretty sure your just off by a tooth or so.
My recommendation is to make mental note of where wheel is when driving straight park with the wheel at that angle. Pull wheel off and re-install with wheel straight.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Problem with that is that you have to turn the wheel 90° from "straight" to get at the spring wires to pop the airbag loose.

Take note of which way the wheel is "leaning" when you're driving straight, and move one-tooth to correct that. If you have VCDS and can clear an airbag fault code, go for a drive with the airbag (at your own choice / risk) not installed so that you can verify you got it straight.

03mk5tdi

TDI
03 jetta tdi
there are markings for the steering wheel and shaft to make sure you are in the exact position. you dont think it matters if the marking arent in the right spot? i can keep moving the wheel to the left of the markings until it rides perfectly straight.

thanks for your quick comments.

509thpib

TDI
2005 jetta TDI wagon
MFSW for 2005 mk4 TDI Jetta GLS wagon

have been reading this information for MFSW (Multi Function Steering Wheel) swap numerous times.
I can not see that this (my) question has been touched upon:

BACKGROUND:

as per a link I discovered - there where THREE trim levels for 2005 Jetta
GL
GLS
GLI

on "GLS" MFSW was an option - part of the "Leather Package"

QUESTION:
A:
With only the following items in hand:
- installed OEM Double DIN head unit
- MFSW (with air bag)
- turn signal stalk with ONLY on/off cruise control

Would a retrofit of a MK4 MFSW in my 2005 mk4 TDI Jetta GLS wagon WITHOUT MFSW, be "plug and play"?

locarno

TDI
1.6 16V
Is there a way to have a Cruise control in wheel and in stalk ? Or I need to choose stalk or wheel with CC ?

cuppie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 B5.5 Passat 1.8t
have been reading this information for MFSW (Multi Function Steering Wheel) swap numerous times.
I can not see that this (my) question has been touched upon:
BACKGROUND:
as per a link I discovered - there where THREE trim levels for 2005 Jetta
GL
GLS
GLI
on "GLS" MFSW was an option - part of the "Leather Package"
QUESTION:
A:
With only the following items in hand:
- installed OEM Double DIN head unit
- MFSW (with air bag)
- turn signal stalk with ONLY on/off cruise control
Would a retrofit of a MK4 MFSW in my 2005 mk4 TDI Jetta GLS wagon WITHOUT MFSW, be "plug and play"?
Negative, Ghostrider. If the car didn't come with MFSW, none of the relevant wiring will be present. Non-MFSW cars have the CC wiring routed to the signal stalk, horn is routed to the clockspring. MFSW cars have those things routed to the MFSW relay.

Is there a way to have a Cruise control in wheel and in stalk ? Or I need to choose stalk or wheel with CC ?
Theoretically, yes, you could - the CC lines are just switched +12v inputs to the ECU (DBW cars) or CC module (DBC cars.)
But! I'd probably want to put a diode on each of the CC lines (from FMSW relay to ECU/CC module), to protect the MFSW relay from having +12v back-fed into the CC outputs there.
{I'm not responsible if you fry the MFSW relay doing this. ;) }

509thpib

TDI
2005 jetta TDI wagon
Negative, Ghostrider. If the car didn't come with MFSW, none of the relevant wiring will be present. Non-MFSW cars have the CC wiring routed to the signal stalk, horn is routed to the clockspring. MFSW cars have those things routed to the MFSW relay.
Theoretically, yes, you could - the CC lines are just switched +12v inputs to the ECU (DBW cars) or CC module (DBC cars.)
But! I'd probably want to put a diode on each of the CC lines (from FMSW relay to ECU/CC module), to protect the MFSW relay from having +12v back-fed into the CC outputs there.
{I'm not responsible if you fry the MFSW relay doing this. ;) }
---------------
Cuppie - many thanks for the response. so this exercise would require 451 rely and much rewiring, not to mention much pain and /or expense . . . . sigh . . . . Oh, well my bad luck. OK -> One more kick at the can: my 2005 is a TDI - which was manufactured in germany. Would not GL & GLS TDI's be wired the same for ease of manufacture on the assembly line?
as you can detect, I really grasping at straws at this point.
once again many thanks.