01M transmission problems solved

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I have been having mpg problems since I have ran over a curb. Down to 36 on hwy from 46.
You might want to have your local tire shop check your suspension and alignment. I would be willing to bet that one or both of those are either contributing or directly causing your drop in mpg.

seaglf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Automatic
I didn't think about this but when I ran over that curb I destroyed my passengers side wheel and tire, so I bought new ones. The ones I bought are not stock size, but are only .79 inch wider and actually .18 inch taller

I got good year assurance all season 215 60 r15

I don't think that would make a big difference though.

seaglf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Automatic
You might want to have your local tire shop check your suspension and alignment. I would be willing to bet that one or both of those are either contributing or directly causing your drop in mpg.
Well supposedly after the accident VW of Clearlake TX fixed everything on the front end, I don't have any vibration or wandering steers straight etc. Especially since I just changed the front wheel bearing.

Maybe after I change the passenger side, and rears there will be a difference.

the front driver was shot, I could move the whole hub around easily with my hand before changing it.

I used the method from that Scurvy dude with the Sid Viscous avatar.

seaglf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Automatic
I haven't forgot that this is a thread for the 01m though and was wondering if any of you guys know what the average temp should be for my tranny. I have a scan gauge, and have changed the valve body with a rebuilt one with a sonnax sure cure kit.

I average around 215 - 230 F...which I thought was kind of high. So I installed the sonnax by pass tranny cooler kit with a http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/Frame_Rail_Cooler_24_Long_p/600-000013225.htm....cooler which brought the temp down to 185 190, except that in traffic it went up to almost 280,I guess since there was no extra fan.

I bought another one and was going to solder them together. But was getting trouble codes that my engine temp was to low. since I figured that the ecu would add more fuel to compensate I just blew it off and went back to stock.

anybody have this experience.

seaglf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Automatic
remind me to make a video of what mine spins at during 50,55,60,65,70 and 75
70 mph is ok...but thats ok if you say its 2550 like mine then I'm sure that its normal. I am trying to get all the bugs worked out of my car. I only have 86,000 miles on it and its in decent shape.

I am going to sell it, and Maybe find a Jetta wagon with manual,

MrSafety

Newbie at Heart
California... Novato... 25 Mi. N. of S.F.
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI/ALH/01M-'80 240D Mercedes/'81 Rabbit "Caddy"/'99 Lexus ES300
... this different tire size caught my attention...!!

I didn't think about this but when I ran over that curb I destroyed my passengers side wheel and tire, so I bought new ones.
The ones I bought are not stock size, but are only .79 inch wider and actually .18 inch taller

I got good year assurance all season 215 60 r15

I don't think that would make a big difference though.
"SeaGlf",
IF you now have different outside diameters on your front drive wheel/tires,
this would cause your final/differential drive "planetary" gear to spin when the car is going straight...
and this might account for extra friction in the differential.
This extra planetary spinning movement might cause the gear/fluid lube in there to foam up and leak out the vent!
[1] check and top-off the fluid/gear oil level in your final drive...
[2] put the same size tires on both drive axles...[EDIT - or did you replace all tires??]... AND
then see IF your MPG improves!
Sam

Last edited:

seaglf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Automatic
"SeaGlf",
IF you now have different outside diameters on your front drive wheel/tires,
this would cause your final/differential drive "planetary" gear to spin when the car is going straight...
and this might account for extra friction in the differential.
This extra planetary spinning movement might cause the gear/fluid lube in there to foam up and leak out the vent!
[1] check and top-off the fluid/gear oil level in your final drive...
[2] put the same size tires on both drive axles...[EDIT - or did you replace all tires??]... AND
then see IF your MPG improves!
Sam
yeah... I have changed the diff fluid when I changed the tranny fluid. using amsoil synthetic. the diff oil looked OK no foaming visible.

all four tires the same I changed the whole set...I am anal about tires being matched, and have a book on tires and wheels and know better then to go with whats on the tire pressure sticker on the car since every tire has diffent pressure rating from the manf. I usually put around 90% of the cold pressure rating. my tires are only .18 inch taller then stock.

Last edited:

Timeshifte

TDI
2003 New Beetle TDI , 2000 Jetta TDI, 87 Southwind diesel
The outside diameter of the tires has increased, your car measures distance by measuring the number turns your drive axles make, increase the size if the tires decrease the number of turns, odometer shows less distance so miles per gallon appear to go down. In actuality you are driving farther per turn ( larger wheels) Calculate the difference in size between the circumference of your new tires and the circumference of your old ones and see how much further you are going per mile than your odometer reads.

seaglf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Automatic
The outside diameter of the tires has increased, your car measures distance by measuring the number turns your drive axles make, increase the size if the tires decrease the number of turns, odometer shows less distance so miles per gallon appear to go down. In actuality you are driving farther per turn ( larger wheels) Calculate the difference in size between the circumference of your new tires and the circumference of your old ones and see how much further you are going per mile than your odometer reads.
I see your point but does .18 inch make that much difference? I will try and use the online calculator.

Also I have a VAG COM so I guess I could go in and adjust the computer. Does anyone know how I can do that?

Last edited:

seaglf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Automatic
OK I used a online calculator and it says that at 9930 miles I am off by -70 miles, so I don't think that makes a difference.

seaglf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Automatic
Accident damage the intercooler ?
I have been thinking about that, but I am not getting the codes for boost pressure. And I have cleaned the intercooler, and when I did it held water without leaking.

Unless it could be leaking under pressure enough that it want leak water, I don't know. But it was hit enough to show a scrape on the corner and it looks as if its out of square a little. I don't know the inner workings of it so maybe its not leaking boost, but not cooling ether.

I am in the process of making room in my garage so I can work on it again. I will be taking the entire intake and exhaust off, and cleaning the turbo. I have the kit from ID parts for all the gaskets and bolts ETC.

I guess I could test the boost pressure with my VAG COM before and after, if I can figure out how to do that, i am still learning what I can do with it.

Last edited:

Timeshifte

TDI
I am wondering if the cooling fins were smashed, if you pull out the screws on the front edge of the right side wheel well you should be see the back side of it and if you pull the bumper cover you can see the front.

seaglf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Automatic
well in order to clean the cooler I had to remove it. I cleaned the entire intake tubes and all, just not from the turbo down. There was a lot of Carbon in the EGR,and oil poured out of the Intercooler. When I cleaned the intercooler I used engine degreaser followed by water based degreaser and it held water without leaking. No visible signs of bent fins.

Timeshifte

TDI
Is the vag-com showing an increase in boost when you accelerate ?

seaglf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Automatic
well I haven't checked any of that yet, I am just starting to learn how to use it and the instructional info is hard to find. Also last night I was going to set the window controls to roll down and up from the remote. So I have an old laptop with the registered software on it, and now it won't power up I have to find out whats wrong with my computer now.

ProfessorGT

TDI
01 Jetta TDI
01M Overhaul Manual

Does anyone know where I could get an explanation of powerflow or exploded view of an 01M? I have looked through the transmission section in my Bently manual. There appears to be no technical information on the internal workings of the transmission.
Well, I was going to post a very good factory 01M Technician's Overhaul Manual, but I am "not allowed" to add attachments.:mad:
If someone here can tell me how to upload an attachment I'd be glad to share it!

BTW, it is VW Technician's Reference Guide number 852600 "Four Speed Automatic Transmission Disassembly and Repair". 192 pages 4.35 Megs in size. I can post it on my Google drive, and if you are interested email me at cavallogt@gmail.com with your gmail email address and a request for the 01M Manual, and I can send you a download link.

If a forum admin wants the file to post somewhere on the site, just let me know. I also have a lot of additional info on this trans, and MANY VW SSPs.

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I believe you can just upload to the Photos section (it's kind of clunky, but the nice thing is is that it won't disappear from there like happens with so many other hosting sites).

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
...and added ATF until it started running out the drain hole. Once it stopped running out, I installed and tightened the drain plug.
This has been covered ad nauseum, but it's worth mentioning again.

You remove the plug and let fluid out. When the draining fluid transitions from a stream to a glug, you put the plug back in. Letting it go until the glugs stop means the fluid level is too low.