Euro Diesel in an American Diesel Engine???

TDISoon

Veteran Member
As I was leaving work last night, I saw a F*rd F-250 with a diesel pulling into a parking spot at the local store. I asked the guy (american) if he had any problems running his truck on the Euro diesel here, he told me no he didnt at all.

My question is, then why does an american diesel engine work on the fuel here, but not vice versa? Is it an emissions problem?

Thanks...

chopchop

Top Post Dawg
It's a bit like " All men are humans", but the reverse isn't necessarily true.

The simple fact of the matter is that engines designed to operate on low-grade dumper-truck diesel will work fine (probably much better) on high-grade, low-sulphur, higher-Cetane diesel, but (European) high-performance engines and control systems designed with state-of-the-art modern technology to run on low-sulphur, etc fuels are simply not intended for use with current N American brews. The engine systems will clog up prematurely, sensors will fail to sense what they're trying to sense, a lot of smoke will be generated, and reliability will be compromised.

They will run on the stuff, after a fashion, but not for very long, or reliably.

There is also the emissions question, and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will comment on that.

PS - I'm assuming "here" = Germany or somewhere European!

[ January 25, 2002: Message edited by: chopchop ]</p>

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
I was under the impression that there is an emissions issue, nothing else. That's why you can buy a CDI engine in a "truck" (Freightliner Sprinter) but not a car.

jhewitt3

TDI
2008 V10 Touareg 2 Sport
It is a "cetane thing.' Any diesel can run BETTER on BETTER diesel (euro) but not all engines can run BETTER on diesel that is of POORER quality (US).