leak at coolant flange

cspeter8

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Sedan
My 2001 Jetta has been leaking coolant very slowly and intermittantly since I bought it 2 years ago. I finally had a mechanic do a pressure test, and he says I need a cooling flange and gasket replaced (the gasket between the cooling flange and the cylinder head). He also told me the part number it is 038121132c. It looks like a very cheap part - only $10 at
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=coolant+flange&x=0&y=0 for example.
The repair estimate for installing the part seemed to be quite expensive - it had to be several hours based on my recollection of the amount.
Can anyone who has done this tell me the amount of work involved, and the difficulty level? Is there any writeup for it? I do have the Red-covered Bentley manual, but can't find any detail about this in there.
Thanks

Tyril

TDI
98 Jetta AHU 5spd, 2013 Golf TDI 6spd
I just replaced a flange on my mk3, actually the first part listed via your link.

Maybe a half hour job?

Socket wrench, socket, an extension or two.

Drain some coolant out, when you pull off the hoses it will go everywhere.

cspeter8

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Sedan
Hmm. I replaced a leaky lower radiator hose without much trouble, and this seems to be a similar kind of effort. Beats me why the garage wanted a couple of hours of labor. Thanks for the input.

Hopefully the labor for a coolant flange replacement in an A3 and an A4 are about the same effort wise?