XTool experience YES it reads DSG temp

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
Got mine, and it works. I recommend following the update procedure in post #13. The update took a while for me as I was fighting with my Norton software blocking the process. Once I disabled, I was able to get the update to "take"

I'm still trying to figure out to retrieve the SKC codes from the NB cluster...

Last edited:

nacnac238

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I bought the VAG-401 around 2 years ago to prime the fuel system after changing the fuel filter. When I originally tried this using basic setting option 35 for the fuel pump it only engages the fuel pumps for approximately 1-2 seconds.

Do you have an upgrade in the software where they may have change this to be the 30 seconds for the fuel system?

Let me know. Thanks

sprinks

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta tdi (gone); now mk7 gti
just picked one up via ebay and the make an offer option. thanks for the tip on that everyone. Definitely got it for lowest price i've seen thus far in here. Will come in handy seeing as i have the 80k service quickly approaching and need to do fuel filter and dsg service.

Spiked1Z

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I received the xtool vag401 a week or so ago that I ordered from amazon for $60 - it was pretty difficult to understand how to update the software, and I'm not even sure what it did... the website is a chinese special http://www.xtooltech.com/ and takes some clicking around to find the update download.

So far I have used it to check the DSG temp, run clutch adaptations, check Torsion value, scan for faults, comfort module adaptation (just turns on and off all the do-hickys) - I did try the data logging feature, and it produced a nice size chunk of a file, but nothing I found could read the file... I tried different unicodes and all, another chinese value point... :/

My instrument cluster has a fault, and did before when was scanned by a VCDS, and it showed the same fault.

I tried to program a new remote (same key & transmitter) and I haven't had luck.. I tried using the central comfort module (as its called in this tool) and found the key 1 adaption setting but it didn't seem to work (it connected just didn't seem to do anything after pressing buttons on the remote).. Also there is a remote program option under "Special Functions" that didn't work for me either (also connected, just nothing happened) ...

Thinking this might be due to my cluster having a fault (it displays error for the first minute or so after startup, then works fine, tracks miles and speed just fine) However before my remote battery ran out I was able to use the remote lock/unlock doors and open the truck. Going to have another go following the Ross-Tech instructions more closely..

next thing I plan to try is disable DRL, locking Beep, undoing one touch windows (i hate those things)

Last edited:

cqk56

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
Xtool

I bought one of these Xtool Vag401 for fuel filter changes and to read codes, I tried to run the fuel pump following the procedure on the youtube video, all that happens is the glow plug light goes on then off, also the screen looks different from the video. Does anyone know if the fuel pump code is different on this tool?

Also tried to get an update online at the xtool website but I have a better chance of winning the lottery then getting this thing updated. Any advice from someone who has one of these, I really don't want to spend 300 or 400 dollars for a ross-tech to just do filter changes. Thanks

Dorkage

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Wagon TDI, 2004 Golf R32
Another positive XTool VAG401 review here.

This works better than my sketchy version of VCDS Lite and as a bonus it seems to read the pins for the cluster. Took awhile to find the Haldex for my R32, but I eventually did. It has all the labels for both of my MK4s.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I bought one of these Xtool Vag401 for fuel filter changes and to read codes, I tried to run the fuel pump following the procedure on the youtube video, all that happens is the glow plug light goes on then off,
Now that I have a MkVI, I can confirm this. With version 8.41 of the software, at least, when I go to Engine/basic settings/035, the pump comes on for a second or so, and then back off. Of course, that's with the filter canister full (I haven't opened it to change the filter yet), so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I should have my upgraded VCDS cable in a few days to compare.

FERDROCK

TDI
2003 Jetta
Have any of the experts chimed in on this tool? Thinking about buying it, but no one seems to have done a comprehensive product review. From what I know the entry level software from Ross-Tech is $99.00, plus i would still need to spend a few bucks on the cable. Am I missing something - like maybe the VCDS software is available for free? Thanks and responses are appreciated.

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Have any of the experts chimed in on this tool? Thinking about buying it, but no one seems to have done a comprehensive product review. From what I know the entry level software from Ross-Tech is $99.00, plus i would still need to spend a few bucks on the cable. Am I missing something - like maybe the VCDS software is available for free? Thanks and responses are appreciated.
Yeah, I can answer the last part. Useful VCDS software is not available free. R-T is very up front about it on their site. They state they can't compete with the Chinese manufacturers at the low end, so they don't. What pretty much anyone is going to want costs $350 for the cabled version that goes to a PC, and the "HEX" version for $450 that is a wi-fi module that plugs into the port and will work with anything that supports a web browser. You can get the complete rundown of the available products on the Ross-Tech web site. There are some cheaper products, but they're not very useful

But I am pretty much interested in what this XTool will support -that someone has used it to support- in the following functions:

1. Reset service reminders on MFD.

2. Turn on fuel pump.

3. Register temperature of DSG

4. Show ash accumulation in DPF.

5. Show DEF (AdBlue) level. (only in 2012-2014 Passat and 2015 TDIs)

6. Allow activation / deactivation of features like rain-sensing wipers (if car is so equipped), auto-close windows & sunroof, DRLs, Remote Start, etc.

Last edited:

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2. Turn on fuel pump.
Doesn't work for me. It turns it on for a second or so, then it turns back off. Works properly with VCDS. I've heard others say it works for them though.
3. Register temperature of DSG
4. Show ash accumulation in DPF.
5. Show DEF (AdBlue) level. (only in 2012-2014 Passat and 2015 TDIs)
All of these should be measuring blocks and shouldn't be a problem. If you can give the blocks to check, I can test 3 and 4 on my car. A little bit of Googling tells me that the DSG temps are in measuring block 019 of the trans, and the DPF status is in block 108 of the engine; my unit read both of these without problems.
6. Allow activation / deactivation of features like rain-sensing wipers (if car is so equipped), auto-close windows & sunroof, DRLs, Remote Start, etc.
These are set via long coding. The VAG401 can do long coding, but I wouldn't want to. If you have instructions, for example, to turn on bit 5 of byte 9, you'd need to count over to byte 9, convert it to binary, change bit 5 to 1, convert that back to hex, and then make the change.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Doesn't work for me. It turns it on for a second or so, then it turns back off. Works properly with VCDS. I've heard others say it works for them though.
All of these should be measuring blocks and shouldn't be a problem. If you can give the blocks to check, I can test 3 and 4 on my car. A little bit of Googling tells me that the DSG temps are in measuring block 019 of the trans, and the DPF status is in block 108 of the engine; my unit read both of these without problems.
These are set via long coding. The VAG401 can do long coding, but I wouldn't want to. If you have instructions, for example, to turn on bit 5 of byte 9, you'd need to count over to byte 9, convert it to binary, change bit 5 to 1, convert that back to hex, and then make the change.
Thanks a bunch; this helps. Yeah, for the long coding part I was just hoping it would be something easier. I've read a little bit about how it's done with VCDS, dicey enough with that, I'm not about to try it if I get an XTool.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Although I can't find anything definitive, there's some anecdotal evidence in online reviews that XTool works to do things like read the temperature of DSG oil in older models, but can't do it in newer cars, like our '13 Passat. More information needed.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Although I can't find anything definitive, there's some anecdotal evidence in online reviews that XTool works to do things like read the temperature of DSG oil in older models, but can't do it in newer cars, like our '13 Passat. More information needed.
It reads the DSG temp just fine in my '13 JSW. I'm glad to check other things if you like.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It reads the DSG temp just fine in my '13 JSW. I'm glad to check other things if you like.
Glad to hear about the DSG temp. At the price, I think I'll pull the trigger if it'll turn the big service reminders off (I just DIY'd my 40K, and am expecting one any day....). Will it turn service reminders off in your '13?

79jasper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I know it's a different "tool," but I heard with most readers such as torque or the like, actually read Dsg temp as engine temp.
Any comments on that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Will it turn service reminders off in your '13?
Haven't had occasion to try yet--just got the '13 two weeks ago. It has a function that claims to do that; I'll see if I can find more information about it.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Nope, it's a scan tool, not an uploader . . . and even if it would upload, you would not have an image that would accomplish the task to upload . . .

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Desert Jetta & 2015 Passat SEL
If the VAG401 allows checking/verifying IP timing for the ALH engine, I would be very interest in picking one up.

Don't Panic

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I guess I will start my first post on this forum by reviving an old thread.

I purchased a VAG401 mainly to run the fuel pumps for a filter change and I am having the same issue as others have mentioned in this thread (only primes for 1 second). From what I have read, this is due to a software issue with the latest version V8.4.1. Does anyone have an older software version that they could send me? Unfortunately Xtool was unable to help and I couldn't find anything on the net.
Thanks.

Spiked1Z

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Probably just how it works I have one though haven’t thought to use it to prime the system.

I just popped off the return line and used a mighty vac to get air out, then after a few cranks started right up.

Also helps if you fill the filter housing with diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redrocketdi

TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Has anybody done the fuel filter change and fuel pump priming on the most recent update? Trying to do the fuel filter change on my own in the future after just paying $131 for vw to do it. I'm looking at this to be able to prime the fuel pump after changing the filter and topping off with diesel. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Waldo123

TDI
2009 Jetta tdi sportwagen

Hi thanks to you telling us about block 019 I was able to get transmission temp, problem is it shows 3 and whether the car is idling.
Any idea which numbers to use, I have a 2009 Jetta tdi sportwagen

Waldo123

TDI
Hi thanks to you telling us about block 019 I was able to get transmission temp, problem is it shows 3 and whether the car is idling.
Any idea which numbers to use, I have a 2009 Jetta tdi sportwagen

Folks

First off yes, i On my way! VCDS, I love VCDS however I wanted a computer independent scan tool that would not require me to drag out my laptop.

Xtool did it for me . Bought one from a US seller on ebay to see if by chance it read dsg temps. Indeed, it does! It also allows you to prime your fuel filter on MKV+ engines

For less then 100 bucks it's a cool robust useful device that offers portability that VCDS does not
Hi, I got DSG temp on channel 19 , problem is I got 3 temp readings, any idea which to use?

Waldo123

TDI
Folks

First off yes, i On my way! VCDS, I love VCDS however I wanted a computer independent scan tool that would not require me to drag out my laptop.

Xtool did it for me . Bought one from a US seller on ebay to see if by chance it read dsg temps. Indeed, it does! It also allows you to prime your fuel filter on MKV+ engines

For less then 100 bucks it's a cool robust useful device that offers portability that VCDS does not
I got temp on #19 however it shows 3 temperatures and shows "idling" if engine is indeed idling.
Do you know which of the 3 temperature readings to use?