REVO Software Installed Today

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I'm so thankful I don't care at all about getting a tune of any kind. I'm satisfied with my little motor the way it is. It is plenty of motor to have a little fun scooting around back roads, merging onto on ramps, passing, cruising comfortably down the highway, or effortlessly climbing a hill. Honestly, I don't get it. Where do you guys go that you can drive so fast? I can't really even use what I have now to its full potential.

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
i'm so thankful i don't care at all about getting a tune of any kind. I'm satisfied with my little motor the way it is. It is plenty of motor to have a little fun scooting around back roads, merging onto on ramps, passing, cruising comfortably down the highway, or effortlessly climbing a hill. Honestly, i don't get it. Where do you guys go that you can drive so fast? I can't really even use what i have now to its full potential.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1!!

EJtdeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Graphite 2011 Golf TDI
I think the car is under powered from the factory that is why I got the tune.
I agree. The added power from the flash is a welcomed addition. I believe the added power makes my car safer to drive in a big city like Los Angeles compared to a under powered Tdi. Quick acceleration has gotten me out of many a bind. I hope that the GTD does make it to the US, that's the car I'll be getting and I'll modify that to suit my needs.

EvilEvo

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4dr W/Tech Package
I think the car is under powered from the factory that is why I got the tune.
I can't understand how people think the TDI is quick in stock form, but maybe that is because my weekend car is a 620awhp B5 S4. And the S4 is quicker at even just 5psi than the TDI at WOT.

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
I can't understand how people think the TDI is quick in stock form, but maybe that is because my weekend car is a 620awhp B5 S4. And the S4 is quicker at even just 5psi than the TDI at WOT.

It's because ''quick" is a subjective term. My JSW has plenty of acceleration for the type of driving I do...so for me it is quick enough. For others that like to squeal tires and blast through traffic the stock set up may not be enough. I bought my TDI for the combination of fuel economy and increased performance compared to other competing vehicles in the 40+ mpg category.

We all come to these forums with different objectives for our TDIs. But, I think we can all agree that they are fun no matter what your set up may be.

Palladin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI w DSG
FWIW I have the DSG reprogram that the dealer performed on one of my regular service visits and NO Tune and it occasionally exhibits that hard part throttle shift/slam that others have spoke of. Hasn't done it in a while now but it seemed to occur mostly in Sport mode.

veedubfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 golf
Anyone who thinks the TDI is underpowered from factory, did not grow up and learn to drive on an ACVW. Try getting on the freeway with a 55hp 1600.

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW, MT, Red/Cornsilk
I am trying to digest all the info about the various tunes. I don't think I've read anything bad at all about Revo tunes with the 6M nor Malone. And Revo only has a Stage 1 with no DPF delete or other mods?

What is the out the door cost of comparative tunes from Revo and Malone for the 6M?

Hope these questions dont sound stupid and I'm not even mentioning APR or others based on info I've gathered. And thanks for bearing with me; trying to learn.

Jeffbucc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagen TDI
If you are doing stage 1 or 2 I would recommend Malone based off his support/reputation/quality. Also based off the fact that if you ever need a custom tune her actually knows what he is doing.

Never talked to a tuner who I actually had a pleasant exchange with before Mark. Talked me through it, went over the details, and recommended how aggressive we should go with my Stage 2 off road DPF delete tune.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I have put 20k miles on my Revo tune and it has been great. I have a MT by the way.
I have to agree, the Revo tune is quite good (if you have a manual transmission). This is actually why DSG owners dislike it. The DSG controller's torque limiting is very obvious. It would not be nearly so annoying if it were not as strong.

I am trying to digest all the info about the various tunes. I don't think I've read anything bad at all about Revo tunes with the 6M nor Malone. And Revo only has a Stage 1 with no DPF delete or other mods?

What is the out the door cost of comparative tunes from Revo and Malone for the 6M?

Hope these questions dont sound stupid and I'm not even mentioning APR or others based on info I've gathered. And thanks for bearing with me; trying to learn.
As for cost "out the door" both Revo and Malone have a list price of $499 for their stage 1 tunes. Both tuners occasionally have sales or group buys which can lower the cost. The "out the door" cost will depend mainly on who does the tune. Some tune dealers charge a labor charge to do the tune. For labor charges (if any) you will have to talk to the dealer you plan to use. On 2010 and newer cars the ECU must be removed from the car and flashed out of the car (at least the first time).

Mark Malone offers the advantage of being well known and well respected. Plus, he does DSG tunes and tunes higher than stage 1.
Revo offers the advantage of having an SPS (serial port switch) which you can plug into the OBDII port and switch your tune off and on (switching between tuned and stock maps).

If you have a manual transmission, you will be happy with either tune. For me, the choice boiled down to which tuner had a dealer near where I live. I could not afford to be without a car while I mailed my ECU off to a tuner and waited for it to be shipped back to me.

Have Fun!

Don

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Don, that was exactly the info I was looking for plus knowing you can switch the Revo tune off and on is pretty cool, especially in my case with the 2 year/24K VW Certified extended warranty; this warranty doesn't pay for routine maintenance work so I can do that or have that done anywhere but, with possible dealer warranty work, that would be a good feature to have.

I am assuming that the Stage 1 tunes from Revo or Malone result in approximately the same HP and torque so, like you say, proximity becomes important.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Thanks Don, that was exactly the info I was looking for plus knowing you can switch the Revo tune off and on is pretty cool, especially in my case with the 2 year/24K VW Certified extended warranty; this warranty doesn't pay for routine maintenance work so I can do that or have that done anywhere but, with possible dealer warranty work, that would be a good feature to have.

I am assuming that the Stage 1 tunes from Revo or Malone result in approximately the same HP and torque so, like you say, proximity becomes important.
The differences in power between the two tunes could easily just be explained by differences in dynos. They are very close.

One note about the Revo SPS: It is an extra price option. However, if you are patient their year end sale often gives you a choice of either $100 off the tune or a free SPS switch. This is what I did.

Have Fun!

Don

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
The differences in power between the two tunes could easily just be explained by differences in dynos. They are very close.

One note about the Revo SPS: It is an extra price option. However, if you are patient their year end sale often gives you a choice of either $100 off the tune or a free SPS switch. This is what I did.

Have Fun!

Don
Maybe Santa will be thoughtful this year and "surprise" us!:)

jseeley

TDI
85 Golf
I guess this thread died back in 2013?

It LOOKS like Revo has a DSG tune now? Anyone running it with their stage1 tunes?