No heating/AC controls Illumination

beartooth91

TDI
2014 Passat SE with Sunroof and Nav
Folks,

Last week the light on the heating/AC control unit started going intermittent. Now, it doesn't light up at all. The lights for the "AC" and recirc pushbuttons still work, but, the main light does not. Last night I pulled the control unit out, but, couldn't see any obvious light to replace. Any ideas ?

Thanks

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
There is a bulb under the fan speed switch. You pull the knob off with a pliers with wrapped jaws to avoid scratching. Vacuum tubing placed over bulb grabs on to it and helps remove bulb.

Tickbait

Requiescat In Pace
TDI
None
I am in the same boat.

Sometimes a tap to the right side of the dash next to the controls helps out.

HTH,

Tick

gern_blanston

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, '03, Silver
A lot of times, the bulb is bad or it's making bad contact with the socket. You can try wiggling the bulb to make sure it's seated, then try replacing the bulb. This should take care of the problem. Here is Wingnut's how-to.

beartooth91

TDI
2014 Passat SE with Sunroof and Nav
Thanks for the info - I can't believe I spent 2 hours taking out and reinstalling the dash panels and radio assy when all I needed to do was pull a rotary knob !
For those of us that don't have anything else to do on this fine Christmas Eve; I need help getting the spring back on my glove box lamp switch ! See the post in this forum.
Thanks for the help.

SCDiddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Canyon Red
My light was also intermitent. Replaced the bulb and everything is fine for over 1 year.

SCDiddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Canyon Red
My light was also intermitent. Replaced the bulb and everything is fine for over 1 year.