2010 JSW TDI Front seat Headrest Removal?

jhein2580

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagon TDI
I know this might be a strange question but has anyone been able to remove their front seat head rests? I know that they adjust with the button, however we need to take it completely off the seat. Is there a retaining clip or something that can be pushed to pull them out?

Please advise.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Not sure how to remove them, but if your reasoning for removal is because you feel it is uncomfortable or even gives you a pain in the neck, I would suggest hanging in there longer before you take it out. I actually posted last year that I hated the head rest because of how uncomfortable I was with it. Really disliked it. I however kept it and soon found that it became a non issue. Matter of fact I would even say I like them now.

in2dwww

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan 6MT - sold
The headrests in my 2010 sedan feel like their pushing my head forward. The new Mercedes models do this as well.

The trick is to recline your seatback a little bit, and bring the headrest up to the point that it is just at or above the height of your head. But recline too far, and there's no lateral support from the seat bolsters. Take your time and make small, incremental adjustments until you find yourself comfortable and relaxed.

This new design keeps your head and neck in the perfect position to prevent injury in a collision.

I like the VW headrests more than the Benz's. VW's are a lot more comfortable, believe it or not. But the weird/uncomfortable headrest position could also be another one of those kinky German things!

jhein2580

TDI
I can understand seat design with relationship to crash test, however my wife is a chiropractor and the "TURTLE" neck position is VERY bad for your health. On our 09 GTI we are able to take them out and flip them around which is what we will do with the TDI once someone has the trick to remove them. Thanks for the input and hope someone has a solution soon. "Safety first???"

SummiTDI

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Pls explain why the Turtle position? is very bad? Thanks and for your info I was unable to remove too. I tried for a different reason.

billyz

TDI
2010 Jetta sportwagon tdi
I have not tried to remove the front ones , but the rear seat headrest came right out. I assumed they were the same. 2010 JSW

jhein2580

TDI
The headrest in the front seat CAN be removed. There is a small clip on the post housing below the seat cover. It is opposite to the upper housing release clip that is used to adjust the height. You need to press both clips to release it from the seat back. If I get a chance I will take some quick photos and post in case anyone would like to remove them.

Thanks for the help.

jhein2580

TDI
SummiTDI said:
You never answered my question about the Turtle?
I normally would defer all medical questions to my wife but basically your spine is like a spring and it takes the loads of walking, sitting, etc... If the "NATURAL" curve of your neck is force forward ie.... Turtle neck position from the head rest... the functions of the spine curve is limited and health problems can occur. (Head aches, neck pain, etc...) Again this it not really part of the thread but you seemed to REALLY want to know about turtle neck! Hope this helps.

Happy driving! :)

Drawdoow

TDI
Bora/Jetta TDI Wagon 2003, ALH engine, MK4, manual transmission, 170Km
How to remove headrest of 2010 VW

WARNING: It is unsafe to drive with headrest removed
Tools required: flat screwdriver with 1/8 inch tip
Sit in the back seat.
Tilt the front seat back.
The post on your left has a tab for raising the headrest.
Raise the headrest as high as it will go.
Slightly push down the upholstery of the post to your right.
On the right hand side of the mechanism you see a slot.
Push the screwdriver into the slot.
Pull the headrest out while pushing screwdriver on right post ]and pushing tab on the left post.