Carefree Maintenance: What to expect

UGM10Golf

TDI
2010 Golf, 2003 Jetta Wagon
"Carefree Maintenance including a no charge Courtesy Vehicle Check.
That means regularly scheduled maintenance for three years or 36,000 miles, at no charge"
  • Courtesy Vehicle Check
    check and adjust tire pressure
    check belts and hoses
    check fluids
    check interior and exterior lights
    clean and check wipers
    product review
I was going to buy my Golf TDI no matter what, so having this is just a bonus for me. But I was wonder what to expect. From what I can tell, its just 3 free oil changes.

Do they rotate your tires when they do the oil change?
What else can they do? (what's the secret password to get things done for free?)
Also I noticed the wiper blades are different. How much do replacement blades cost?
Cost of Engine Air filters?
Cost of Interior Air filters? (do they have them?)
Are we stuck with factory oil changes due to synthetic oil?

milesstandish

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI
Hi, there's a lot of info available around here easily hunted down via search.

IMHO don't expect too much from the free maintenance, it's pretty much oil change and a lot of 'checks.' There have also been stories of dealer service over-filling, or putting in 505 spec oil in instead of 507. But most of the time it seems to be done correctly and it's 'free' (well not really you pre-paid for it so may as well use it).

wiper blades can be replaced with Valeo brand (they are available on Amazon) or OEM or maybe Bosch but I'm not sure on the last one. Might be other after-market brands avail.

Check the vendors who support the forum for their prices for air, cabin, fuel, and oil filters, along w/ other parts.

You can do the oil changes your self with OEM oil or with any oil that lists the VW 507.00 spec on the label on the back of the bottle, such as Mobil1 ESP formula 5w30