GL-5 fluid in a 02J trans.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Is it ok or not? I have heard some people say never use it and some people say it will work fine. I am due for another trans fluid change and I am pretty sure my dad put a GL-5 fluid in there a long time ago. Trans still works fine.

I am asking because I can buy synthetic GL-5 fluid from my local napa for a couple bucks a quart vs. $15 a quart from IDparts. Doesn't make much sense to spend an extra $20+shipping if I don't have to.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
The reason VW does NOT recommend API rated GL-5 gear lube is that GL-5 is a rating for heavy duty gear boxes that need a high sheer strength additive package. The high sheer strength additives are usually high in sulfur which attacks any brass/copper (usually synchronizers and some bushings) in the transmission.

It's not a question of can an API rated GL-5 gear lube work, its a matter of who made the the gear lube and IF the additive package used is 'yellow metal' safe. You will have to contact the manufacturer of the gear lube.

Also, VW manual transmissions perform very well on thinner weight synthetic gear lubes no thicker than 75W-90. Usually GL-5 gear lubes are much heavier.

:)

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
if it is GL-4 and GL-5 you can use it.

if it's only GL-5 and has a warning about containing thiadiazole , use it

raybo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG White Gold
Get the VW G60 gear oil (replaces the old G52) - the dealer near me matched the World Impex price...and yours may if you ask nice..

I change mine every 8 years...in another 8 years VW will be up to G90 or something...

Ray

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Went to walmart today and they had a 75W-90 synthetic gear oil that was GL-5 only BUT said on the back that it was safe with brass bushings.

Would that work?