wagon space vs. golf space

brotha bran

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Golf
*tried reviving an old topic similar to this but inquiring about dogs, mine has to do with surfboards and sleeping..so i guess it's best i make a new thread since people are replying in response to the first post..sorry! :D*

i'm looking between both a golf 4dr and a jetta wagon (both A4). my requirements are mostly on the roofspace with carrying surfboards (6' to almost 10' long) and a kayak (9.5') up there. in my pontiac vibe i currently own i also have the fortune of the rear seats folding flat and also the front passenger back folds forward and i can fit my longboards inside the car when it's too cold (or i'm too lazy) to strap it up top.

my other requirement is space as far as roadtrips go. i'm taking a maine to california trip with a friend this summer and it'd be ideal to have a backup to sleep in ( at least semi-comfortably). i've read the thread Zoinks posted about a seat mod for the golf to camp out in. but am still debating.

in my excitement of looking at both i didn't happen to go through the cars folding the seats. do either (golf/wagon) rear seats fold flat? what of the front passenger? what would you guys recommend for my needs? mostly concerned with roof space which i feel is fairly similar, with a slight edge to the wagon, but also having interior options is good too.

:confused::)

N_J

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2002 Golf 5 speed TDI Indigo Blue Pearl
Golf rear seats fold flat. Front seats don't.
I've been quite impressed with the amount of stuff I can fit in the hatch of the Golf (drum set, amps, etc..)
However
Sounds like you might as well go for the wagon though.

brotha bran

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Golf
yeah i've found a wagon w/ 40k on it for $16,500 roughly, and a Golf GLS for $10,000. just trying to figure out if the wagon is worth the premium over that regarding the issue of space.

alex wetmore

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
brotha bran said:
in my excitement of looking at both i didn't happen to go through the cars folding the seats. do either (golf/wagon) rear seats fold flat? what of the front passenger? what would you guys recommend for my needs? mostly concerned with roof space which i feel is fairly similar, with a slight edge to the wagon, but also having interior options is good too.
:confused::)
My wife has a Jetta Wagon and I have a Golf. So I'm very familiar with the cargo area of both cars.

The Jetta Wagon is 10" longer than the Golf.

The floor of the Jetta Wagon cargo area is the same level as the back seats when they are folded down. On the Golf the cargo area is depressed 2-3" below the rear seat height. The Jetta Wagon is level because there is a storage organizer under the cargo deck (and above the spare tire).

The lower rear seat cushions are much more easily removed in our 2000 Golf than in our 2002 Jetta Wagon. If you know that you'll only need to carry two passengers then you can trivially (it takes 10 seconds) remove those cushions instead of folding them. This lets the front seats move a little farther back or gets you about 4" additional horizontal space, making up for some of the lost room compared to the Wagon.

I don't think I could sleep in the back of the Golf and stretch out my legs. I'm 5'11". The cargo area is just under 6' long with the seat cushions removed. I could probably sleep in the Wagon. The Wagon would be more comfortable to sleep in since it has a flat floor.

Golfs are much less expensive, easier to park in city, and I think they are more fun to drive (but our Golf is chipped and has a GTI sport suspension and is a 5sp where the Wagon is an automatic with no chip and the stock suspension).

alex

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
brotha bran said:
i'm looking between both a golf 4dr and a jetta wagon (both A4). my requirements are mostly on the roofspace with carrying surfboards (6' to almost 10' long) and a kayak (9.5') up there. in my pontiac vibe i currently own i also have the fortune of the rear seats folding flat and also the front passenger back folds forward and i can fit my longboards inside the car when it's too cold (or i'm too lazy) to strap it up top.
The Jetta wagon's roof rails will offer a longer bar spread to mount rack crossbars. This may make carrying long cargo on top easier. If you plan to get a longer kayak in the future, that may be something to consider, although a long boat is still doable on top of a Golf.

Iwcham

Veteran Member
TDI
golf,2003, grey-metalic
Ha, here in Europe Golf/Bora wagons are about 1000 euro cheeper than hatchbacks. I've just traded my Golf 4 VarianT 101hp for a Golf 4 Hatch 150hp 4motion. Golf 4 Wagons are toooo ugly and i'm so glad to have got rid of it!!!! + all red letters TDI literally eats asphalt!!!!!!:cool:

TDIoily

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
alex wetmore said:
My wife has a Jetta Wagon and I have a Golf. So I'm very familiar with the cargo area of both cars.

Golfs are much less expensive, easier to park in city, and I think they are more fun to drive (but our Golf is chipped and has a GTI sport suspension and is a 5sp where the Wagon is an automatic with no chip and the stock suspension).

alex[/quote

Wrecked a golf have a wagon. Easier to sleep in the back of a wagon. 5'11". Alex, get the wagon chipped, you would be amazed of the performance gained.

James

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
alex wetmore said:

The Jetta Wagon is 10" longer than the Golf.

The floor of the Jetta Wagon cargo area is the same level as the back seats when they are folded down. On the Golf the cargo area is depressed 2-3" below the rear seat height. The Jetta Wagon is level because there is a storage organizer under the cargo deck (and above the spare tire).

The lower rear seat cushions are much more easily removed in our 2000 Golf than in our 2002 Jetta Wagon. If you know that you'll only need to carry two passengers then you can trivially (it takes 10 seconds) remove those cushions instead of folding them. This lets the front seats move a little farther back or gets you about 4" additional horizontal space, making up for some of the lost room compared to the Wagon.

I don't think I could sleep in the back of the Golf and stretch out my legs. I'm 5'11". The cargo area is just under 6' long with the seat cushions removed. I could probably sleep in the Wagon. The Wagon would be more comfortable to sleep in since it has a flat floor.

alex
I also have one of each: 2002 Golf and a 2005 PD Jetta Wagen. Both are chipped. The Golf has more mods (see sig below) and is currently my daily driver for the daily commute grind.

I love both of my TDIs and I agree with the comparisons of Golf v. Jetta Wagen.

One thing I've noticed about the Wagen vs. the Golf is the Wagen gives you a lot better visibility overall. You can easily see more of the traffic around you...the blind spots toward the rear are smaller.

I love both of my TDIs and wouldn't dare trade/sell either of them. :cool: