Rear cargo area light working intermittently

heidelberger75

TDI
2010 Golf Variant (wagon) 1.6 TDI, 5sp
Hi folks,

About 2 years ago I noticed the cargo area light was out. I took it to a shop to get a new bulb but that didn't fix it. The tech said it was maybe the fuse or connection in the assembly itself. I found an entire replacement assembly (plug and play LED) and installed it. After the first test it took about 10 seconds after opening the hatch before the light would come on but then it basically stopped working again and hasn't worked for the last 2 years.

I finally decided to have the dealer check it during the latest oil change. However, to my supreme annoyance, it started working again 2 weeks ago. My wife took it to the dealer today where, of course, the light worked perfectly.

After getting the car back home from the dealer, the light didn't work, again. Are the fairies just playing with me?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Sounds like the contact switch is corroded. Shouldn't be too hard or expensive to replace.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I *think* it's part of the latch on the hatchback door. I'd see if you could borrow a Bentley manual to be sure.

Racerman27410

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 6MT
mine was intermittent so i took it apart and cleaned the contacts where the bulb seats. it's been working normally ever since.