Wierd Electrical Issue

Kary

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Saturday, I started my 2011 JSW TDI and a warning came up to check the third brake light. I asked my wife to see if it worked and it did not. I then started getting error messages telling me various bulbs were out including low beams and turn signals. My wife called the dealer who said they had no time to look at it on Saturday and they would call me Monday. After I drove where I was going Saturday I left the car off for about an hour. When I restarted the car I had no warning lights and all the lights are working.
My car has 63,000 miles so is out of warranty.
I drove the car on Sunday with no error messages.
Today (Monday) I spoke to the service department. I have no error messages and was told that if nothing is displayed the diagnostics would probably not show anything. He also went on to say that this might be due to a bad battery. This is something that I can't believe being as the car was running and had no issues starting. I am not bringing it in unless I get more error messages.
Has anyone had any similar experiences? What was it?
Thanks
Kary

Chockomon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Sounds like your fuse box is going bad - one of the fuses overheats and melts. Happened to my father and was covered under warranty

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ct-is-melted-fuse-box&p=85540404#post85540404

If the dealer won't help you, call up Autohaas in NJ - (973) 925-1230 - and buy one from them. They got a 2010 JSW in the other day so they may still have the fusebox (although I think it's the same for all MKVI)

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
The fuse box under the hood, it's the 30 amp all the way toward the firewall. Pull it and you'll likely notice it is starting to burn. You might get somewhere with VWOA, if not and it didn't burnt the panel go to the dealer and get a 30 amp, they have a thinner fuse that should work. I replaced mine like 5K ago and haven't had any problem. My car was not involved in the re-call/TSB although it has over 135K on it. It's a 11 Golf. Mine was shooting phantom warning about all the lights, blinking fast etc for a few days till I got to figure it out

Kary

TDI
Thanks

It has not happened again but will check the fuse and fusebox when I get a chance.
Thank you

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
I had the warning light's then a few days later it all started again. Check it sooner rather than later and you might avoid damage to the fuse box

astoryatthree

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6mt
If it is not the fuse box, is there a chance that you or your wife kicked the CECM harness? It is near the OBD2 port and if it becomes disconnected or has a poor connection, it can throw those or similar errors.

Kary

TDI
checked the fuse

I checked the 30 amp fuse near the firewall and one side of the contacts was discolored. I cleaned it off and reinstalled. I will try to go to the VW dealer tomorrow and pick up the 30A fuse. The fuse box itself looks fine.

I just find it funny how the service department immediately said I needed a new battery but did not even mention the fuse. I am also annoyed that VW doesn't include a diagram showing you what each fuse does. Every other car I own has that in the owner's except my 1955 Chevy truck which doesn't have a fuse box.

thank you all again.

Kary

TDI
Replaced the fuse

Went to the VW dealer and bought the new fuse. Replaced it this morning. On closer inspection of the old fuse it was starting to melt on one side. The fuse box looked OK. Hopefully this takes care of it. Thanks Again