Exhaust Flap

Airhead

TDI
2012 jetta tdi sportswagen
VOA is following through with the extended warranty for the exhaust flap. ten years and 120k. Just had mine done, no problems, no haggling. took a couple hours and all is well. I did go into this with a copy of the extended warranty, which was posted on this forum. It does pay to read! I have a 2012 sportwagen TDI with 42k on it.:)

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
usually, yes. P047f if I recall correctly.

You can also test it with a screw driver if it's just starting to stick, but VW needs it to be actually stuck and throwing a code in order to replace it. (we asked a bunch of questions regarding this when the 2010 went out of warranty)

Airhead

TDI
2012 jetta tdi sportswagen

Warranty Information

Policies and Procedures Bulletin Number: VWP-13-05

Subject: Engine Exhaust Flap Limited Warranty Extension

(US Dealers)

Date: Mar. 12, 2013
This document modifies the Volkswagen Warranty Policies and Procedures Manual.

Engine Exhaust Flap Limited Warranty Extension
Volkswagen has extended the Emissions Control Systems Warranty for engine exhaust flap replacement under specific conditions to 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s original
in-service date, for certain 2009 – 2012 Model Year Volkswagen 2.0 L TDI
® Clean Diesel Engine vehicles with engine codes CBEA, CJAA and CKRA.
This warranty extension is fully transferable to subsequent owners.
The vehicle’s original in-service date is defined as the date the vehicle was delivered to either the original purchaser or the original lessee; or if the vehicle was first placed in service as a "demonstrator" or "company" car, on the date such vehicle was first placed in service.
What is the Problem
Volkswagen has determined that under specific conditions, certain deficiencies affecting the engine exhaust flap could make the engine exhaust flap susceptible to degraded performance. If this happens, the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) on the instrument cluster may illuminate due to the presence of specific fault codes caused by a faulty engine exhaust flap. Volkswagen has not identified any vehicle drivability concerns related to this issue.
Please be aware that other conditions (unrelated to the issue described in this bulletin) may cause the MIL
in the vehicle to illuminate. Customers should be prepared to cover all diagnosis and repair costs for these other, unrelated conditions.
What does this Warranty Extension Cover
This warranty extension covers only the diagnosis and replacement of the engine exhaust flap.
What is Not Covered Under This Warranty Extension
This warranty extension will not cover:
Any damage or malfunctions caused by installation of non-EPA or non-CARB certified parts, or parts that alter the performance of the engine, engine controls, or exhaust system, such as the installation of engine management components ("chipped" or "tuned" ECMs) not approved by Volkswagen.

Other conditions unrelated to the engine exhaust flap that may cause the MIL to illuminate. These conditions may require repairs that are needed for proper diagnosis of the underlying condition. Any repairs that are (1) necessary for proper diagnosis of these other conditions or (2) required to

© 2013 Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.

Page 1 of 2 plus attachment

All rights reserved. Information contained in this document is based on the latest information available at the time of printing and is subject to the copyright and other intellectual property rights of Volkswagen Group of America, Inc., its affiliated companies and its licensors. All rights are reserved to make changes at any time without notice. No part of this document may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, nor may these materials be modified or reposted to other sites, without the prior expressed written permission of the publisher.
Warranty Information

bring the vehicle’s emission system up to factory specifications are not covered by this warranty extension.
Damage or malfunctions caused by outside influence, such as damage due to an accident, or vehicle misuse or neglect, as well as repairs that are (1) necessary for proper diagnosis of these other conditions or (2) required to bring the vehicle up to factory specifications are not covered by this warranty extension.
Repair Procedure
Refer to Technical Bulletin Instance Number 2031583 for the applicable repair procedure.
Vehicle Eligibility
To determine if a vehicle is eligible for the Engine Exhaust Flap Limited Warranty Extension, check the
VIN in ElsaWeb > Vehicle-Specific Notes > Vehicle Data. If the warranty extension is applicable to the vehicle, the "Enhanced Coverage" section of the "Vehicle Data" screen in ElsaWeb will be populated with the warranty extension parameters.
SAGA Warranty Claim Type and Service Number
Dealers must use the following claim type and service number when submitting warranty claims for the
Engine Exhaust Flap Limited Warranty Extension.

Claim Type:

Service Number:

Questions
For any questions regarding this warranty extension, please contact the Warranty Helpline at 1-866-306-
8447 or
warranty.helpline@vw.com.

© 2013 Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.

Page 2 of 2 plus attachment

All rights reserved. Information contained in this document is based on the latest information available at the time of printing and is subject to the copyright and other intellectual property rights of Volkswagen Group of America, Inc., its affiliated companies and its licensors. All rights are reserved to make changes at any time without notice. No part of this document may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, nor may these materials be modified or reposted to other sites, without the prior expressed written permission of the publisher.

Warranty Quick Reference Guide Updates

Periodically updated pages of the Warranty Quick Reference Guide will be reprinted and shipped to Dealers for inclusion into the guide. In the interim, in order to keep the guide up-to-date, please print this update and insert into the applicable section(s) of the guide.

Updated March 2013

3-9

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
I just had mine replaced yesterday too. The MIL was on and off again a few times but it was on when I went in. Took less than an hour to replace.

secondtdi

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDi
Send help

Had mine done a month ago; light came on again during a short drive (post replacement).
Next morning, light off & has not come on since (driven 1,000 k).

Any thoughts?

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
Had mine done a month ago; light came on again during a short drive (post replacement).
Next morning, light off & has not come on since (driven 1,000 k).

Any thoughts?
I was chatting with the service manager while they were replacing the exhaust flap on my Jetta. He said that they have replaced many flaps at this dealership but he has yet to see one needing replacement a second time.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Anyone know if Canada gets the same treatment?
Yes both our Golfs were done. My wife's under the original warranty as it happened at 40k km. Mine was over 100k. Warranty extension is to 193k km.

Unfortunately the service writer says the part has not been improved, so I expect it will happen again. But you're covered up to 193k no matter how often, and the repair isn't an emergency, it can wait till next service. So it helps to have VCDS to scan it. Every VW owner should have one. The VW logo should be a CEL :D

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Have a CEL now and the P047F code. Taking it in asap for replacement. Car is a '12 JSW with -63k on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dadskier

TDI
2013 JSW 6M
Anyone had any luck getting a 2013 covered for this? I've only got 44,500 miles and they want to charge me $475 for the new flap.

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
Anyone had any luck getting a 2013 covered for this? I've only got 44,500 miles and they want to charge me $475 for the new flap.
Have you read this thread at all? Check out post #4. VW is covering the flap till 120k miles. If your dealer is trying to charge you for this then I suggest going to another dealer as yours is blatantly trying to rip you off.

Dadskier

TDI
2013 JSW 6M

for certain 2009 – 2012 Model Year Volkswagen 2.0 L TDI® Clean Diesel Engine vehicles with engine codes CBEA, CJAA and CKRA.

Have you read this thread at all? Check out post #4. VW is covering the flap till 120k miles. If your dealer is trying to charge you for this then I suggest going to another dealer as yours is blatantly trying to rip you off.
Yeah I did. The warranty doesn't cover 2013. If there is an updated version of this that does state 2013 please point me to it.

WagenFan

TDI
2013 JSW TDI Black/Black DSG w/ pano
I had my '13 replaced at around 25k, so while that was within the original warranty, it seems like the extended warranty should continue for the 13 models

Gizzmo_jr

Veteran Member
TDI
None
My 2010 had it replaced just before christmas a couple weeks ago. I was at 160,000km and no issues with free warranty work thankfully.
Surprisingly when I scanned the MIL, I remembered the letter VW Canada sent me nearly a year ago.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I had my '13 replaced at around 25k, so while that was within the original warranty, it seems like the extended warranty should continue for the 13 models
Ours was done at almost the same mileage (42k km). When I asked the service writer if it was improved, he said "no, VW instead elected to extend the warranty to 193k km/120k miles". He theorized that VW thought it cheaper to just replace them and run down stock rather than invest in R&D to make a better mousetrap.

And ours is a 2013 as well.

Dadskier

TDI
2013 JSW 6M
Talked to VW: 2013 is not covered by the extended warranty. I got the work done because my inspection was up and needed to get it fixed. Still going to send the bill in to VW on appeal and see if it gets anywhere.

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
So did they improve /update the flap for 13/14 or is it still just a matter of time?
The service manager that I spoke with while my exhaust flap was being replaced told me that the new part was upgraded to prevent the corrosion that caused the flap to stick in the first place.

Dadskier

TDI
2013 JSW 6M
The service manager that I spoke with while my exhaust flap was being replaced told me that the new part was upgraded to prevent the corrosion that caused the flap to stick in the first place.
Whatever they did, didn't work. The fact that there are 3 2013's in this thread with failures is a pretty good indication of that.

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
Whatever they did, didn't work. The fact that there are 3 2013's in this thread with failures is a pretty good indication of that.
I don't think that's definitive. Who knows if the '13s received the updated part or not?

According to my invoice the 'new' flap has a part number of 1KO-253-691-G. Anyone know the old number?

Last edited: