Changing rear wiper blade

Dustin Anderson

TDI
2013 Golf Wagon
I couldn't find a thread that covered this...no Youtube videos. nada.

I bought a blade from LORDCO. It's only description was for a Golf. I didn't check mine until I got home...wrong one.

It seems that it is a one piece unit that needs to replaced in it's entirety.

Can someone confirm this?

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)
I saw that other thread, and I used to buy inserts many years ago, but like someone posted in the other thread, I haven't been able to find raw inserts for years. If I had to guess, stores probably got tired of people returning inserts that didn't fit because they didn't realize what size they needed, or maybe they just make so much more money selling blades, but in a perfect world (which apparently existed several years ago ;-) ), yeah, just buy the inserts.

I decided to order the replacement Trico blade mentioned in that other thread. :)

Cooper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW (traded in 5/2015)
Just ordered front and rear wipers from idparts since they support this site.

My wife hates it when I order stuff this time of year.

FedEx truck pulled up and left a box at the front door yesterday. My wife was excited. Anti Creo-Soot from fireplaceandchimneyshop.com for the fireplace.

Wife not amused. :D

She went out to get the mail and there was a box by the garage! A tractor tire tube and tune up parts from jackssmallengines.com.

Wife not amused. :D

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
I couldn't find a thread that covered this...no Youtube videos. nada.
I bought a blade from LORDCO. It's only description was for a Golf. I didn't check mine until I got home...wrong one.
It seems that it is a one piece unit that needs to replaced in it's entirety.
Can someone confirm this?
The rear wiper does need to be replaced as one unit and as far as I know only from the dealer (Part Number 1K9-955-427_ Just paid $18CDN from the dealer for one. The clip slides over about 1/4" and reveals the small pin on the arm that it clips into...fairly simple to replace.

Also just so you know you'll probably have to replace the whole arm (Part Number 1K9-955-707-A-03C) at some point...mine just broke after 176,000 km...it wasn't cleaning well and I noticed it was pulled away from the glass a bit, gave it a slight push and realized it was loose and then started flopping all over the place.

The cover for the nut/nozzle pulls off and exposes a 13mm nut. The arm at this point was obviously cracked at the ring and was worn out over the metal 'washer'...managed to twist and eventually pulled the arm off with the ring breaking in a few more places... and it was totally shot. I then removed the 13mm nut which perhaps could have been done first but there was nothing in my Bentley on how this goes together. The other washer (originally pat of the arm) was corroded (more likely galvanic action for those that know about this stuff) to the wiper 'bolt'...this is NOT threaded...and don't pull or vise-grip on this too hard as you could break your glass.

An internet search revealed the same issues I was having with people using a hacksaw to remove it...I opted for my Dremel with a cut off bit...worked like a charm...three little gentle cuts (at the 12, 4 and 8 o'clock positions) through the 'washer' and it came off in pieces. The new arm that I purchased from the dealer was $55 and I put a slight bit of anti-seize on the mating surfaces before I refastened it...overall the repair took 15-30 mins but I do realize that it is a lousy design that is prone to failure...sorry I didn't take any pic's....

Last edited:

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
I put on the Trico 11" one, and it fits perfectly -- way easier than I expected. My stock one was 11"? I think the 13" might look better, but it didn't show up as fitting in the online fitment guides. Oh well, maybe I'll remember to try next time.

warbird24

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Dang, I get my rear wiper from the VW Dealer and pay on $11.99. I've had about 4 on this one so far due to heavy snow fall over the years and bad road dust and dirt.

Pretty easy to install too.

tariq

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI Sportwagen
Valeo R-13B

Perfect fit on my 2013 JSW TDI

$11.98 Amazon

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
Does the Sportwagen have a larger rear windshield or something? The Trico 11" one (mentioned in the other thread) was a perfect fit for my Golf, as once I see it in motion, it sweeps close to the top -- a 13" blade wouldn't fit! (Well, it would look like it would fit until you turned it on...)

tariq

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI Sportwagen
Does the Sportwagen have a larger rear windshield or something? The Trico 11" one (mentioned in the other thread) was a perfect fit for my Golf, as once I see it in motion, it sweeps close to the top -- a 13" blade wouldn't fit! (Well, it would look like it would fit until you turned it on...)
The rear window on the Wagons apparently take a larger, 13" wiper. That's the spec anyway for them.