15" Steelies vibration

callmekurt

TDI
2011 Golf
From reading a variety of posts/comments of others running 15" winter steelies on their MK6 TDI's, I figured I'd be ok.

So I put some new ones on from Tire Rack (great deal at about $580 wheels and Altimax's) yesterday. Today on my normal commute, I felt/heard a vibration/noise as I was taking mild bends (~45-50 mph) at acceptable speeds.

So my questions are:

1. Do 15's really work for mk6 tdi golfs?

2. If so, what could be causing this issue and how do I remedy? (I tightened down the bolts well and properly).

Thanks,
Kurt

Anonymous911

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 DBP GTI SE 6MT PP/LP
From reading a variety of posts/comments of others running 15" winter steelies on their MK6 TDI's, I figured I'd be ok.
So I put some new ones on from Tire Rack (great deal at about $580 wheels and Altimax's) yesterday. Today on my normal commute, I felt/heard a vibration/noise as I was taking mild bends (~45-50 mph) at acceptable speeds.
So my questions are:
1. Do 15's really work for mk6 tdi golfs?
2. If so, what could be causing this issue and how do I remedy? (I tightened down the bolts well and properly).
Thanks,
Kurt

I had have the vibrations on the hwy at above 50MPH. I have same set up as your. What tire pressure did you set at? Mine is set at 38PSI.

Last edited:

Chockomon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
1. Yes - I'm running a set on mine now
2. They may be improperly balanced from Tire Rack - in this case, get them balanced somewhere. You may not be used to having winter tires that are more pliable than all seasons/summers. But you shouldn't have vibrations

callmekurt

TDI
2011 Golf
I thought it was odd that it was just on the turns - with low/mod g-force that I felt/heard the vibration. I was fearing the rim was hitting part of the brake? (vs improper balance which I would feel all the time, no?)

callmekurt

TDI
2011 Golf
They are Tire Rack steelies. no hub centric rings.

And to clarify it's not some much a wobble vibration as it feels like a friction vibration - it may just me projecting a fear that the rims are too smaller (brakes seem really close).

Tire Rack supposedly balanced them when they mounted the tires.

Anonymous911

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 DBP GTI SE 6MT PP/LP
They are Tire Rack steelies. no hub centric rings.

And to clarify it's not some much a wobble vibration as it feels like a friction vibration - it may just me projecting a fear that the rims are too smaller (brakes seem really close).

Tire Rack supposedly balanced them when they mounted the tires.

Check the tire pressure?

I checked mine this morning, and air it up to 38 PSI, ALL GOOD!

callmekurt

TDI
2011 Golf
psi was 35 all around. I'm wondering about the dust shield, I'll look tonight.

Anyone else need/use hub centric rings with their aftermarkets?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I was not impressed with the tire rack balance.

callmekurt

TDI
2011 Golf
Closing the loop, I checked with TireRack and showed them photos of some wear spots on the rim. They checked with their techs who said it was normal. They offered to get my tires balanced at a local shop (and reimburse me).

I took it to my shop. They checked it out and mentioned there was no rubbing/friction issues anywhere in the well that was of issue. They even said the tires were balanced.

Soo....chalk it up to an over paranoid driver. Not my first set of snows, though. I had a similar set on my mk4 gti back in the day. I don't recall this issue, though.

Anywho, all is well. might be driving a little more conservatively just for good measure.

thanks all