2010 Jetta Battery

hb9001

TDI
2010 jetta
Hi, Im not sure if my battery is on it way out or not. I got it tested and was reading 12.27 volts with 566 CCA. Seeing how the stock battery is still in the car and is now 4 years old, im not sure how much longer I will get out of it. If I do need a new one, what group or Amp hour should I look for? I was looking at a East pen battery and it said 70 Ah on it. Any help would be great!

Scott

dustingebhardt

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagen TDI (sold)
I bought a group H6 (aka BCI Group 48) with 735CCA, 70Ah, and 120min reserve capacity. It is an AGM type.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
in Cali, you should be able to get much more out of a stock battery than 4 years. The Hot/Cold shift is what really wears batteries down. Going from 70f to 100f doesn't count ;)

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW, MT, Red/Cornsilk
in Cali, you should be able to get much more out of a stock battery than 4 years. The Hot/Cold shift is what really wears batteries down. Going from 70f to 100f doesn't count ;)
While we should get more than 4 years, I recently replaced the battery in my 2011 JSW. It went dead without notice. I was told the high heat here in Texas shortens battery life.

In my opinion, batteries being made nowadays are just crap, designed to last only a few years. The new battery in my 300ZX went dead after a year or so. Luckily, it was replaced free of charge under warranty at Batteries Plus, a place I recommend.

Just make sure you get OEM or the equivalent. TDIs do need more amperage.

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
Just had mine replaced after 4.5 years...was hard to start...mechanic checked it and it has a dead cell...replaced with an OEM unit...starts great now...was worried it was the frozen intercooler issue...

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Hi, Im not sure if my battery is on it way out or not. I got it tested and was reading 12.27 volts with 566 CCA. Seeing how the stock battery is still in the car and is now 4 years old, im not sure how much longer I will get out of it. If I do need a new one, what group or Amp hour should I look for? I was looking at a East pen battery and it said 70 Ah on it. Any help would be great!
Scott
Go to the dealer and get an OEM battery. Modern batteries will provide enough juice to start the car and then the next time they won't. Purchasing an OEM will guarantee the right fit and power needs.

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Go to the dealer and get an OEM battery. Modern batteries will provide enough juice to start the car and then the next time they won't. Purchasing an OEM will guarantee the right fit and power needs.
There are better batteries than OEM. From what I have seen VW uses normal lead acid batteries and calls them maintenance free, but lead acids are generally not maintenance free. AGM and Gel Cell batteries can truly be maintenance free and can provide more capacity and cranking amps than OEM

I know a few people that have gone with AGM batteries in their VWs along with myself and have yet to see one person regret the decision. My OEM didn't even last 3 years before one of the cells failed and I opted for an AGM that had better specs in every way. Even the coldest days around here has no affect on it's ability to start my car up. And the warranty on my new battery is better than what VW offers.

Anytime I recommend a battery, I recommend going AGM.

ar2013tdi

TDI
2014 Sportwagen DSG
I have had two Varta batteries last ten years each in Audi's I have owned. I never performed any maintenance on them. I haven't checked what's in my 2014 Sportwagen yet, but I would buy another dealer Varta without hesitation.