www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Touareg TDIs

VW Touareg TDIs This is a general discussion about Touareg TDIs. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old November 8th, 2018, 23:22   #1
Yai

Default Toureg search begins and need some help/advice

Hi,

Currenty have my 2012 tdi golf, and plan on keeping. I've always wanted a Toureg TDI, and now Looking for one, for those long family road trips. I've been searching on the forums, and figure probably easier to ask for some opinions/advice.

My budget is going to range from $25k-$35k CAD, preferably on the lower end of the scale but no problem spending a little more for a lower mileage one. I was looking at 2013-2016 models, and do not plan on towing, and lookng for reliability and comfort. Treg will be a 3rd car, so no problem waiting for one that checks off the list. I can do some minor maintenance & repair ie.) replacing brake rotors/pads. I do have a local TDI mechanic, that won't rip me off. I also understand that repairs aren't going to be as low as my Golf.

Off the top of my head, a few of my questions are below:

#1. What model/year tend to be the preferred? (ie. earlier years had transmission, less occurence with HPFP failure etc.)

#2. What is a "decent" amount of milage for a toureg you would consider. Is 80k-100k miles consider on the high side for a used TDI Toureg? I purchased my 2012 TDI with 65K miles and has been pretty good, besides having to return to the dealership 4-5 times after emission fix.

#3. I considered a Q7 TDI but preffered the Toureg. I test drove an Audi Q7 Vorsprung edition, with 80K miles on it ($33kCAD). It drove very nice, and very smooth. I'm assuming Q7 repairs/maintenance would definitely be higher than the Treg's? I have 3 kids, and would love to have the 7 seats in th Q7, but I just have my heart set on the Treg. with that being said, the Vorsprung Q7 is making me 2nd guess myself, for the family car. We have a Toyota, Sienna, so I'm thinking 5 seater Treg is worth sacrificing for!

Any advise and opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ron
Yai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2018, 04:55   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The Q7 is essentially just a stretched wheelbase T'reg, not a huge difference overall otherwise. Mechanicals are mostly the same. Q7s will come with more standard features that may be optional on certain T'reg trim levels.

The second generation of the V6 diesel has some improvements, I would go with one of those, newest you can find/afford if you have your heart set on one.

They are an expensive vehicle to maintain, just FYI. It is not uncommon for them to chomp through a set of tires and brakes every 25k miles. Obviously the type of driving it gets will vary this.

Avoid the air suspension if possible, it is just a wallet sucking liability. They all fail eventually, and I am not sure the bank account hit is worth any improvements in ride quality.

I am Volkswagen's biggest fan, but I would pick something else over a T'reg myself. I just do not see the advantage to owning one especially to depend on every day. There are better vehicles out there.
Old November 9th, 2018, 06:15   #3
30Bones
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 JSW DSG

I ended up with a 2013 LUX model with only 19K miles and all service (it's had it's 10-20-30-40-50K services done annually) for 26 grand. Well worth the price of a one way rental and a road trip home. This was out of Chicago.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2018, 06:43   #4
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yai View Post
Hi,

Currenty have my 2012 tdi golf, and plan on keeping. I've always wanted a Toureg TDI, and now Looking for one, for those long family road trips. I've been searching on the forums, and figure probably easier to ask for some opinions/advice.

My budget is going to range from $25k-$35k CAD, preferably on the lower end of the scale but no problem spending a little more for a lower mileage one. I was looking at 2013-2016 models, and do not plan on towing, and lookng for reliability and comfort. Treg will be a 3rd car, so no problem waiting for one that checks off the list. I can do some minor maintenance & repair ie.) replacing brake rotors/pads. I do have a local TDI mechanic, that won't rip me off. I also understand that repairs aren't going to be as low as my Golf.

Off the top of my head, a few of my questions are below:

#1. What model/year tend to be the preferred? (ie. earlier years had transmission, less occurence with HPFP failure etc.)

#2. What is a "decent" amount of milage for a toureg you would consider. Is 80k-100k miles consider on the high side for a used TDI Toureg? I purchased my 2012 TDI with 65K miles and has been pretty good, besides having to return to the dealership 4-5 times after emission fix.

#3. I considered a Q7 TDI but preffered the Toureg. I test drove an Audi Q7 Vorsprung edition, with 80K miles on it ($33kCAD). It drove very nice, and very smooth. I'm assuming Q7 repairs/maintenance would definitely be higher than the Treg's? I have 3 kids, and would love to have the 7 seats in th Q7, but I just have my heart set on the Treg. with that being said, the Vorsprung Q7 is making me 2nd guess myself, for the family car. We have a Toyota, Sienna, so I'm thinking 5 seater Treg is worth sacrificing for!

Any advise and opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ron

I loved my Touareg, it was a 2011, and I’d get another, but I’d get the most recent model year (allowing for vehicle miles) that my budget could afford. Why? VW made incremental improvements to the emissions systems to eliminate the more failure prone aspects of the earlier years. My 2011 had a series of issues there. Also, earlier MY’s suffered from steering wheel shake that later MY’s did not.

Yes, it is hard on tires.

I downsized to a Q5 but if I needed a larger size SUV again my first move would be to scour the market for a low miles Treg TDI. There’s nothing out there I’d rather have for the value and performance.

2015 Golf TDI SE, Lighting Package, 16K miles
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2018, 08:18   #5
Yai

Thanks Oilhammer very good info to know and will see if I can source one a 15/16 model. I do have my heart set on a Toureg, now it may also be the Q7. That will probably more of a maintenace nightmare but It won't be a daily driven car, but I will definitely get good use of it.

I also don't care too much for the air suspension. I'm assuming it's certain models (and not just the year) that came with air suspension package?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
The Q7 is essentially just a stretched wheelbase T'reg, not a huge difference overall otherwise. Mechanicals are mostly the same. Q7s will come with more standard features that may be optional on certain T'reg trim levels.
The second generation of the V6 diesel has some improvements, I would go with one of those, newest you can find/afford if you have your heart set on one.
They are an expensive vehicle to maintain, just FYI. It is not uncommon for them to chomp through a set of tires and brakes every 25k miles. Obviously the type of driving it gets will vary this.
Avoid the air suspension if possible, it is just a wallet sucking liability. They all fail eventually, and I am not sure the bank account hit is worth any improvements in ride quality.
I am Volkswagen's biggest fan, but I would pick something else over a T'reg myself. I just do not see the advantage to owning one especially to depend on every day. There are better vehicles out there.
Old November 9th, 2018, 08:25   #6
Yai

Thanks Mythdoc, I read in another post, about wheel shake from Toureg, due to the larger rims it came with, and the wheelbase?

I'm definitely going to try and find a newer model, with relatively low mileage that fits in the budget. I can always replace tires, it's really the powertrain, HPFP, and the emission components I'm more concerned about. I can always get tires replaced and the brakes done on my own.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythdoc View Post
I loved my Touareg, it was a 2011, and I’d get another, but I’d get the most recent model year (allowing for vehicle miles) that my budget could afford. Why? VW made incremental improvements to the emissions systems to eliminate the more failure prone aspects of the earlier years. My 2011 had a series of issues there. Also, earlier MY’s suffered from steering wheel shake that later MY’s did not.

Yes, it is hard on tires.

I downsized to a Q5 but if I needed a larger size SUV again my first move would be to scour the market for a low miles Treg TDI. There’s nothing out there I’d rather have for the value and performance.
Old November 9th, 2018, 08:26   #7
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks Oilhammer very good info to know and will see if I can source one a 15/16 model. I do have my heart set on a Toureg, now it may also be the Q7. That will probably more of a maintenace nightmare but It won't be a daily driven car, but I will definitely get good use of it.

I also don't care too much for the air suspension. I'm assuming it's certain models (and not just the year) that came with air suspension package?

Thanks!

No Treg after 2010 in North America comes with air suspension.

Old November 9th, 2018, 08:31   #8
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
it's really the powertrain, HPFP, and the emission components I'm more concerned about.

You’re in good shape here because the dieselgate warranty covers all of the above for an extended period. 10 years from original in service date or up to 120K miles. Another reason why lower vehicle miles might in certain cases outweigh model year.

Old November 9th, 2018, 08:43   #9
Yai

I've put that in consideration, and my reasoning to the wife for getting another TDI lol

I'll wait and see what's available, and if I can pick up low mileage treg, preferably 2014+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythdoc View Post
You’re in good shape here because the dieselgate warranty covers all of the above for an extended period. 10 years from original in service date or up to 120K miles. Another reason why lower vehicle miles might in certain cases outweigh model year.
Old November 9th, 2018, 08:46   #10
Yai

Very nice! You guys, in the US, definitely get better deals on used vehicles (and selection) then us Canadians!

I've been hearing that these Toureg TDI's have been flying off dealer lots, over here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
I ended up with a 2013 LUX model with only 19K miles and all service (it's had it's 10-20-30-40-50K services done annually) for 26 grand. Well worth the price of a one way rental and a road trip home. This was out of Chicago.
Old November 9th, 2018, 09:29   #11
30Bones
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 JSW DSG

Not noticing them flying off lots here. When I was looking for mine 2 local dealers still had 1/ea NEW 2016 sport models on the lot they would not budge on their "sale" price of ~42 grand. I think most are scared of the TDI brand since the EPA thing.

It was a win for me. Sold back my 2012 TDI wagon with 100K miles for 20 grand and am now in a MUCH nicer vehicle for pennies on the dollar.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote