www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old November 1st, 2018, 06:08   #7096
floater62

New CCV valve, breather tube, and grommet arrived in the mail today. To do: Replace the cracked breather tube, wrap some Teflon on the new Vaico CCV puck and install with a new grommet in the valve cover. Hopefully the annoying oil leaks on the valve cover that also mist the sound deadening, and leak down the block from the cracked tube are fixed for a few. What I did to my B4 today were some turbo pulls in 2nd and 3rd while using the excuse of logging 011 to troubleshoot an intermittent 0075 code. Too much fun. I need to find a bigger hill I guess.
floater62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2018, 06:11   #7097
floater62

0die, check out this Transylvania shakedown. Those LT’s are pretty cool!
https://youtu.be/1YCUyJJN2Dg
floater62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2018, 07:55   #7098
0die
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Addy View Post
Sounds like you may have retired Odie.

I do hope your vehicle owner joins up here. I'm encouraged to hear about new enthusiastic owners because there's been so much taint from the emissions scandal and the downstream consequences of the faux outrage etc. I personally can't stand to even go look at what's posted up in the scandal forum. I live for the day that forum is deleted.

Anyway, if you are venturing into retirement I do wish you all the best!

Steve
just retired from the nat guard...was making 1500mi trips every month for the last 15 years...thus the collection of assorted old diesels...now it just my regular local job and weekends free to roam the beach or backwoods...would still rather do both in a small diesel 4x4...i should have kept my old 85 ram pickup/Mitsubishi mighty max 4x4 with the turbo diesel...
0die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2018, 16:19   #7099
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post
Removed the cargo area plastic on the left side to revisit my leak. One mount post pulled out of the trim, on the D pillar plastic, which pissed me off. I canít get it back in cleanly and Iím not sure if I have a spare...

Couldnít find the leak using the baby powder method, so I started hosing it down. The leak was coming from above the headliner, and ended up being an incredibly small area the seam sealer didnít get. After I pulled the headliner down some, I got the air hose in there and saw the breach. Blobbed on some more seam sealer, and the car sits.... Iíll let it set up for a while and retest.

That was over a month ago and it didnít cure the leak. I was having a difficult time recreating the leak with the hose. Long drenching rains always let water in.

I pulled the quarter glass to reseal it. The butyl was a nightmare to clean off, so I went looking for a friendlier method. Best I could find locally, was .375Ē round backer rod. Itís closed cell, so I had high hopes. Glued it on with black weatherstrip adhesive and crossed my fingers. The next rain, I thought I had it, then later in the day, I saw water in the tray.

Ordered .375Ē round EPDM weatherstripping, pulled and resealed the window, again. With the next rain, water was still coming in... this ruled the window out and I was confident the seam at the roof wasnít to blame... I had butyl packed in everywhere.

Started digging deeper.... I found the seam sealer breach in the tailgate hinge pocket. I remember hosing these down and I couldnít get water to enter the cabin. Cleaned out both pockets and painted on the seam sealer.

I had the trim plates taped up and tried to gently close the tailgate, while the seam sealer was curing. Both cracked at the top... oh well, itís a clean break that closes, so itís not noticeable. Yanked them, removed the open cell foam behind them, and sprayed them. I forgot to paint the round fasteners...

Iím guessing the foam was more vibration control, but it may have been providing enough of a gasket to hold the leak at bay, for a while. Iíll probably use some body tape, when the trim plates get installed.

This passed the test of 3 soaking storms, so Iím claiming success for this leak, but when it rains, it pours....

I pulled out of a parking spot at work, and heard a waterfall, behind my head. Pulled down the headliner a bit to take a peek, and I see the sunroof drain connection is wet. Water was pooling on the headliner board and dumped... this was a new one.

Deciding if snaking it from the sunroof to the back, or if blowing air from the back to the front, would be better.

Iíll soon be reinstalling the roof trim, roof rail and the interior panels.

-Todd
ToddA1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2018, 22:01   #7100
TDIDaveNH
Left Lane Coal Roller at Large

TDI(s): 1997 Passat

Finally was able to track down an elusive coolant leak. the coolant pipe was leaking through the rot on it's underside. I could see that it was rusty but figured, it's only 4 years old, it's solid. Think again. The new ones lack the IP plug bracket but fortunately I have a couple new ones on the shelf I picked up before they went NLA. Installed it and no more leak. Cut the bracket from the old pipe and saved it to be welded on a new one next time around.
Old November 8th, 2018, 18:09   #7101
Bullet Tooth

Started the timing belt change, got half way ran out of daylight and temps were dropping so I called it a day. It was low 30s when I started and tomorrow looks no better, the joys of working outside.
Bullet Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2018, 20:26   #7102
97B4TDi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-52

Quick question:

I’d like to remove my instrument cluster to repair the pesky cold weather issue; I read through the MFA conversion write up and if I have this right I shouldn’t need to remove the airbag, steering wheel, etc since I’m not doing any of the conversion wiring, right?

Also is the cap difficult to replace/solder myself?

Thanks

97B4TDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2018, 04:10   #7103
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Steering wheel and ab don’t need to be removed.

Iirc, the caps are behind a stepper motor or something else. I paid to have mine fixed, after looking at it.

-Todd
Old November 9th, 2018, 05:07   #7104
lisab4
Veteran Member

I do find it easier to do with the wheel and airbag removed though
Old November 9th, 2018, 12:01   #7105
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97B4TDi View Post
Quick question:

I’d like to remove my instrument cluster to repair the pesky cold weather issue; I read through the MFA conversion write up and if I have this right I shouldn’t need to remove the airbag, steering wheel, etc since I’m not doing any of the conversion wiring, right?

Also is the cap difficult to replace/solder myself?

Thanks
As others have said you don't need to remove the steering wheel / air bag unless you really want to.

The cluster surround will come out if you go to the right once you get it detached. The gap between the dash and steering wheel is just enough to squeeze it through. The same goes for the cluster, it will fit coming out to the right.

I replaced the caps on my cluster and it wasn't all that difficult but there is a space constraint and you have to be careful. Good luck!

And Todd, I had cracks in the hinge pockets too. I had to replace seam sealer in those areas too although I was never really certain that they were contributing to the leak. In the end it was just good to get those off the list of culprits.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.

Last edited by Steve Addy; November 9th, 2018 at 12:04.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2018, 15:28   #7106
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Another drenching rain today and I’m thinking I fixed the sunroof leak. I was able to blow air through the drain hose, but I blasted it it with compressed air, to be sure. I never really open the roof, so I wasn’t expecting a clog.

Thinking a loose connection at the barb was the cause, so it was hose clamped.

-Todd
Old November 10th, 2018, 07:19   #7107
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

I’ve removed dozens of clusters and never touched the steering wheel or the airbag.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2018, 15:03   #7108
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Installed the roof trim and rail. Needed to hit some areas of the trim with a 36 Roloc, where the seam sealer was making it stand proud.

Slipped cardboard between the condenser coil and radiator, then took it to the car wash. I didnít install the interior trim, waiting for another rainstorm to verify the sunroof leak is fixed, but itís nice to see the car looking as it should. Itís been too long....

A headlight blew out the other night, so that needs to be addressed. Of course itís on the driver side, making it more difficult... need to look for a H1.

-Todd
Old November 10th, 2018, 17:50   #7109
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

That car looks great. Makes me want to drag out my Corrado steelies!
Old November 11th, 2018, 06:08   #7110
borntofli

Replaced the IP head seal o-ring.... I was nervious about letting pump head out to far and innards falling out... Got it replaced and no more leak.....

Replaced the trio-y coolant hoses on front of engine.... What a bugger to change.....

Replaced coolant thermostat.... car now reaches operating temp, I wonder how many 1000's of miles it has been running cold... Ive only got 1000 miles on car since purchase...
borntofli is offline   Reply With Quote